• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Five Years Ago Today I Bought This Mercury Dime

29 posts in this topic

Typically, I could not tell you the anniversary of any coin purchase, but today I had been examining a spreadsheet of my collection and my eye was drawn to the purchase date of a coin that was bought exactly five years ago. The pictures of this coin have been posted before, buy you'll just have to learn to look at them again. wink.gif

Copy_2_of_new-4.jpg

Copy_2_of_new-6.jpg

This coin is an example of why it is dangerous to bring your best or favorite material to a show if you really aren't certain you want to sell. The coin in question was in a very well known dealer's case but he clearly had NFS (Not For Sale) written on the slab and the coin was placed away from all of his offerings. I asked to view the coin in-hand and he showed it to me, upon which time this conversation occured-

Me: How much?

Dealer: Not for sale.

Dealer: You can have it for...

Immediately my wallet was opened and the coin was mine. Ever since that wonderful day whenever I see this dealer at the major shows he always looks at me with a hybrid scowl and smile and says-

I should have never sold you that coin.

The coin is in an old, green PCGS holder and is graded MS68FB. However, it is clearly nicer than the PCGS graded MS69FB coins that are on the bourse and I know this for a fact since I have examined many of them in-hand with this coin side-by-side. It's the nicest Mercury dime I have ever seen. Oddly enough, while this dealer is famous for the quality of his coins, and his prices can match, he picked a number far below what I would have paid for the coin.

Enjoy! grin.gif

and my eye was drawn to the purchase date of a coin that was bought exactly five years ago.

..and in about 5 min. Tom is going to sell the coin to jom. Cheap! You are getting sleeeepy...SLEEEEPY....

devil.gif

jom

Seen the coin.......heard the story.......can't get enough of the coin and yes I agree it looks truly amazing!!!!! cloud9.gif

I have a similar story with a coin and I am going to see the dealer on Friday......and now he has other collectors telling me that he shouldn't have sold me the coin so it's becoming a FUN legend......lol

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

The pictures of this coin have been posted before, buy you'll just have to learn to look at them again. wink.gif

Who could every get tired of looking at them!?! 893whatthe.gif

Sweet piece Tom. thumbsup2.gif

Are you ever going to try for a 69FB? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The colors are amazing. I guess the dealer loved the money more than the coin and sold it to you. Everything has a price.

Look out, chinook is making an offer.

Thanks all.

Yes, I do believe the coin would regrade MS69FB as long as the TPGs would exhibit internal grading consistency. Given the current situation, the coin might or might not grade MS69FB if given one shot through the system.

Also, you will notice that I have ignored one question that several members have asked... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Also, you will notice that I have ignored one question that several members have asked...

Well, they say ignorance is bliss. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Also, you will notice that I have ignored one question that several members have asked... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif I wonder what that question might be....

There are just certain coins collectors own that you just aren't going to be able to aquire unless you drag it out of their cold dead hands. 27_laughing.gif

jom

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif I wonder what that question might be....

There are just certain coins collectors own that you just aren't going to be able to aquire unless you drag it out of their cold dead hands. 27_laughing.gif

jom

I bet that coin could come out of Tom's hands for the right price. Tom has never seemed to be the type of person who would turn down stupid money for a coin. Jom, offer him $40K and I bet that coin is yours!

I bet that coin could come out of Tom's hands for the right price. Tom has never seemed to be the type of person who would turn down stupid money for a coin. Jom, offer him $40K and I bet that coin is yours!

takeit.gif

insane.gif

jom

jom

Don't know Greg.....I offered him a quite a chunk for his Gobrecht and was shunned! grin.gif

Don't know Greg.....I offered him a quite a chunk for his Gobrecht and was shunned! grin.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If memory serves me correct, the Gobrecht has a much higher basal value than the Mercury and the offer proposed was only about 20-30% of what jom is thinking about.

So, jom, what do you say? insane.gif

Tom,

I don’t want to be a kill joy, but I don’t think Jom’s offer is for real. Think about it. Why in the world would Jom want to buy your dime when he can bake up a batch of his own? confused-smiley-013.gif

John devil.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You know, that is the first reasonable statement to suggest that jom's offer, made via Greg as an intermediary, was not completely sincere. I had assumed that he asked Greg to suggest the selling price because he was afraid of being rebuffed in front of everyone. Perhaps that isn't the case after all! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If memory serves me correct, the Gobrecht has a much higher basal value than the Mercury and the offer proposed was only about 20-30% of what jom is thinking about.

So, jom, what do you say? insane.gif

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gifforeheadslap.gifthumbsup2.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif......was only about 20-30% of what jom is thinking about.

Uh...but...wait....I....

Why in the world would Jom want to buy your dime when he can bake up a batch of his own?

Um….uh... I didn't....er....but....

....made via Greg as an intermediary, was not completely sincere. I had assumed that he asked Greg to suggest the selling price because he was afraid of being rebuffed in front of everyone. Perhaps that isn't the case after all!

Uh...intermed..?...what?......but I didn't.....

jom