• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What book doesn't exist?

41 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Just wondering. A post on the library thread in the "Permanent Coin Collecting Polls & FAQs" board made me think of it.

What numismatic book are you just dying to see written because there's nothing out there that covers it sufficiently?

Hey Arch,

You trying to get ideas for a side job? grin.gif

Seriously though, I would like see a comprehensive book on So Called Dollars. Something like Dave Bowers Commemorative Coins of the United States

A Complete Encyclopedia.

John

What book doesn't exist?

A Comprehensive List of All the Kind Words of Greg Marguli

A Comprehensive List of JamminJ's Favorite Franklin Halves

All the Loves of Cameron Keifer

List of jom Posts People Actually Read

Hoot's Guide to Best Cats Owned by EVP

893whatthe.gif

jom

Just wondering. A post on the library thread in the "Permanent Coin Collecting Polls & FAQs" board made me think of it.

What numismatic book are you just dying to see written because there's nothing out there that covers it sufficiently?

"The Numismatic Scandals of the Last 100 Years" or "Coin Crooks: Where Are They Now?"

TRUTH

For US coins, a comprehensive book on counterfeit coins would be great. Finding the diagnostics to true key date coins is easy, but I'd like a book that details the diagnostics for all the better date coins that were counterfeited.

I'd also like to see a book tell beginning collectors how the numismatic community really works. Most people don't know much about the inner working of the business and if they did, they'd be pretty shocked / disgusted / saddened, but it might save them some money.

For foreign coins, I'd like to see better references for minor coinage dating before the 17th century. Finding books on them is hard, most are out of print, and they haven't been updated in a long time.

I'd also like a book that details the coin collections of the museums around the world. I think it'd be an excellent reference piece to be able to look up a coin and know that the National Museum of Berlin has one in it's collection.

BTW, your icon actually kind of looks like you.

I'd also like to see a book tell beginning collectors how the numismatic community really works. Most people don't know much about the inner working of the business and if they did, they'd be pretty shocked / disgusted / saddened, but it might save them some money

893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif Oh, my side 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif I think I just wet myself 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Greg, It will never happen wink.gif

John

A Comprehensive List of JamminJ's Favorite Franklin Halves

Frankies are OK by me. I dislike the current circulating dreck far more than them.

Frankies are OK by me. I dislike the current circulating dreck far more than them.

Well then. I expect the first draft of your book on my desk in the morning!

jom

It's not totally a numismatic book, but I'd really like to see a "gold coin version" of Carothers' Fractional Money that would discuss how gold coins were actually used in commerce in the 19th century.

(In fact, I'd like to read it so much that I've been working on it myself for the last year or so.)

Greg,

Scott Travers' "Coin Collector's Survival Manual" talks a little bit about how the "coin business" really works, so at least there's a start.

It's not totally a numismatic book, but I'd really like to see a "gold coin version" of Carothers' Fractional Money that would discuss how gold coins were actually used in commerce in the 19th century.

(In fact, I'd like to read it so much that I've been working on it myself for the last year or so.)

Well Dave, if you ever finish it I expect a signed copy! thumbsup2.gif

John

Hey Arch,

You trying to get ideas for a side job? grin.gif

Seriously though, I would like see a comprehensive book on So Called Dollars. Something like Dave Bowers Commemorative Coins of the United States

A Complete Encyclopedia.

John

The SCD Club met at the SF ANA and agreed to start work on an update to the Hibler-Kappen book. If their timetable is accurate, it is expected to be completed late this year.

Chris

As odd as it sounds I would like to see a book on silver rounds and other mint things like that... Also what about a good book on colonial coin counterfet detecting.. Some of them are just too hard to tell...

What about a book about some of the greatest collections ever assembled with pictures of where the coins are now....

I'd like to see an update to Akers 20th Century Gold Coins. Yeah, I know it already exists but I think there is a definate lack of info on the Saint/Pratt coins....

jom

jom,

The (forthcoming) other two volumes of Roger Burdette's "Renaissance of American Coinage should address the St. Gaudens/Pratt coins.

John,

If you really want to read what I've done so far, my first effort (five pages) was published in the Southern Gold Society's eNewsletter in April and reprinted in the most recent (November?) issue of the New Jersey Numismatic Journal.

I've submitted my second effort (10 pages) to Doug Winter for inclusion in the forthcoming second edition of his Gold Coins of the New Orleans Mint.

I've got a fairly extensive reading list still ahead of me, so I expect to be adding to my effort fairly continuously over the next few years.

• Administrator
This topic looks familiar.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ah! The thread inspiration has arrived! Take a bow! smile.gif

Well then. I expect the first draft of your book on my desk in the morning!

jom

\

On Frankies or out current circulating dreck?

On Frankies or out current circulating dreck?

Dreck sells so the latter would be best!

The (forthcoming) other two volumes of Roger Burdette's "Renaissance of American Coinage should address the St. Gaudens/Pratt coins.

Well, "addressing" it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. A date-by-date kind of thing, in the spirit of Lange's books for example is needed.

jom

What book doesn't exist?

Hoot's Guide to Best Cats Owned by EVP

893whatthe.gif

jom

How does one say "meow" in Russian? insane.gif

Hoot

complete date and anaylsis guide of

three cent nicks proof and ms

three cent silvers proof and ms

proof classic head half cents

twenty cent pieces ms and proof

How about:

Al Overton's Complete Encyclopedia of Sacagawea Die Varieties

Including Die Marriages and Die States for Every Known Variety

or

The Comprehensive Photo Grading Guide for Susan B. Anthony Dollars

With Emphasis on Grades of PO-1 through AU-50

or

Metal Detecting Tips and Secrets for the Proof Modern Commem Enthusiast

James

How about:

Al Overton's Complete Encyclopedia of Sacagawea Die Varieties

Including Die Marriages and Die States for Every Known Variety

or

The Comprehensive Photo Grading Guide for Susan B. Anthony Dollars

With Emphasis on Grades of PO-1 through AU-50

or

Metal Detecting Tips and Secrets for the Proof Modern Commem Collector

James

sign-funnypost.gif

May I add:

PKOK Toning For Dummies

A Beginner's Guide

tonofbricks.gif

Beijim

Some of the hobby publishers hold occasional small "focus groups" to see what book topics are of interest to collectors. But much of the time, numismatic books break down into fairly consistent categories and publishers simply crank out more of the same:

A. Date/mint/major variety studies - some coin types may have many books by several authors, others only one or none. This is the largest category and includes everything from Sheldon's "Penny Whimsy" to Bowers’ huge "Silver Dollars and Trade Dollars of the United States"

B. Anecdotes and stories about collectors, collections, hoards and "tall-tails." Bowers’ “companion” books are a good example.

C. Historically-based stories such as major shipwrecks, or the Gold Rush, or San Francisco earthquake and fire.

D. Historical research into numismatic topics. Taxay's "US Mint & Coinage" and David Lange's update of this, or Burdette's "Renaissance of American Coinage."

E. Research monographs. Detailed research into specific varieties or date of coin. Usually not long enough for more than a booklet. Common during the 19th and early 20th centuries, less seen now for new publications.

F. Production catalogs such as the “Guide Book” that list a wide range of coins by date and mint with basic statistics.

G. Investment guides.

Category A books are by far the best sellers. If you enjoy collecting Mercury dimes (or “Winged Liberty Head” dimes, if you prefer) you’ll probably want a copy of Lange’s book or several others that focus on the subject. If you collect Morgan or Peace dollars, one of the many VAM guidebooks will be great.

Category B & C books are also popular because of the interesting events and characters that inhabit numismatics. They also help connect collectors with the time periods in which they may have grown up, or from which coins they own originated.

Category E once represented the cutting edge of new research, but 12 to 24 page monographs have largely been superceded by hobby periodicals and internet postings.

Category D & F are take a great deal of long-term research if they are to be of value. The “Guide Book” doesn’t just happen overnight. There is a lot of corroborating work that goes into all the mintages and numbers in book, and so only a few changes can be made from year-to-year. The historical research books also take a large investment in time and labor, and can take years to reach a “break-even” point. Information density can be quite high which makes casual reading difficult. They become long-term tools for collectors, and the factual base for many of the other book categories.

Category G, investment guides, range from self-serving promotional drivel to well-written, useful handbooks for getting the most out of your hobby both as a collector and financially. These are often aimed at non-collectors.

What kinds of books would collectors like to see written? This probably has as many answers as there are collectors, but I bet Whitman and other hobby publishers would listen if some of you told them what you’d like to read.

I’ve rambled on too long…..sorry!

There are no books on the obsolete clad quarters. Only a very few books even touch on these coins.

I'd read one.

It's unlikely it would be a good seller unless it could appeal to the general public.

There was a book on clads I got about 10 years ago. It was a thinner book, green color. Anyone remember? It was pretty good but no date by date analysis of any of the series....which is always my favorite part of any coin book.

jom

((( PKOK Toning For Dummies

A Beginner's Guide)))

27_laughing.gif

How about:

Old Album Toning in just Five Minutes!

The New Hands-On Approach

James

Does it include a starter kit? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

There was a book on clads I got about 10 years ago. It was a thinner book, green color. Anyone remember? It was pretty good but no date by date analysis of any of the series....which is always my favorite part of any coin book.

jom

US Clad Coinage- Rapsus 1992

It's good for reference material and has some interesting observations.

There are also two or three comprenensive works on Iks and Kennedys, a couple on cents and Jeffersons, and even one on clad dimes.

The comprehensive Washington works essentially end at 1964.

Hi, Dave:

On another post, I indicated my interest in coin making, more specific the thermal treatment process, since I have experience is most metals but not gold and silver.

What I did not post is that I was born and raised in NOLA, and wanted to do a targeted study of the "O" mint. Thanks for this link as I think that is a start.

hail.gif