• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rainbow Toned 1943 U.S. Steel Cents

5 posts in this topic

I have three 1943 U.S. Steel Cents for sale on eBay, and just learned that an attractively "toned" coin may be more valuable. Though the eBay photo does not show it at all, when you hold the coins in the light and tilt them back and forth you can see a mild but definite rainbow finish on two of the three coins.

Would anyone care to take a guess at the coins' actual value?

Thanks in advance for your time.

I believe these are "re-processed" steel cents, which simply means a new layer of zinc has been plated onto them by someone outside the mint. There were literally many thousands of these coins reprocessed during the 1960s and 1970s. My experience has been that re-processed coins do acquire this type of toning, whereas it is indeed very rare to find an original steel-cent with much color.

I could be wrong about this, but either way, I hope you do well. But, in case the high-bidder complains, you'll at least be forwarned that they might be re-processed.

James