• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JamminJ's 2005 Top 10 Coins (Part 2)

22 posts in this topic

And there they are, my five best coins of the year!

1880394-010.jpg

Coin No. 5: 1696 Austria/Salzburg 1 kreuzer

This one came from an online dealer’s web store. One of my primary collections these days is gemmy Germanic (especially Austrian HRE) minors so this is obviously a prized addition. While a common type, it’s the only coin in my collection from the 17th century to make the grade of MS67. Blast white with fully prooflike surfaces. Hardly a mark anywhere to be seen. The strike is full although the dies were missing some detail on the lions and the tassels about the coat of arms.

2750228-012.jpg

Coin No. 4: Taisho 3 (1913) Japan 50 sen

This one came from our own gmarguli. I was doing some photography for him and figured I should snag this one before it went to e-bay. It’s highlight is amazing color with a background of subdued violet which explodes to vibrant blue (reverse) or through blue to golden-brown and magenta. Technically superb, with blazing luster a full strike and lovely clean surfaces. Without a doubt the most appealing Japanese coin I've ever encountered, it really sets the bar high for any others I acquire next year.

charlesv.jpg

Coin No. 3: ND (circa 1555) Holy Roman Empire/Nijmegan Ecu

This one came from a local dealer, same as the Egyptian coin, and another it took a few shots before I pulled the trigger at the Autumn Long Beach show. My current number one collection is a run of thaler sized coins with portraits of Holy Roman Emperor from Charles V-Francis II. Charles is one of the tougher emperors to get as he spent most of his time in Spain, delegating Austria to his brother Ferdinand. I hesitated as this coin is Dutch but eventually came around as at the time the Dutch lands were subject to the Emperor’s authority. After getting it home I couldn’t believe it took several shots to buy! It’s a nice, crusty circulated coin with original surfaces. It’s on the way back from NGC with the grade of F15 which seems a bit harsh to me. He’ll be heading back to Florida for another look, VF20 seems a fair grade to me.

1880394-008.jpg

Coin No. 2: 1717/6 Austria/Salzburg 2 kreuzer

This one came in the same batch as coin number 5 above. If you like a 17th century coin in MS67 you’ll love an 18th century coin in MS68! This one is blast white (as all original 18th century coins should be) with luster that just screams off the surfaces. Devices have light frosting and fields are mirrored giving a nice PL appearance. Not a mark or hairline anywhere to be seen. Just a few areas of missing detail in the tassels where the dies were not completely engraved. Obvious overdate variety as an added bonus. Probably the best roller die coin I’ve ever seen, unimprovable in my opinion.

1880690-001.jpg

Coin No. 1: 1733 Austria thaler, Hall mint

This one came from off e-bay sale when the went unsold. Some drama as a Paypal dispute had to be filed to get the seller to deliver but worth the wait. An upgrade to my run of Emperors, replacing a coin of the same type in an MS62 holder. Highlight is the exceptional strike with all the hair detail, feather and coat of arms detail present. Some toning, not monstrous but attractive with some hints of violet . Some hairlines hide beneath the toning but they fairly easily overlooked and do not impair the luster. This is a set I’d like to add another two coins to in the coming year.

Without a doubt the most appealing Japanese coin I've ever encountered, it really sets the bar high for any others I acquire next year.

This one came from the Goodman sale in 2002.

Without a doubt the most appealing Japanese coin I've ever encountered, it really sets the bar high for any others I acquire next year.

Which auction house hosted that sale?

Which auction house hosted that sale?

Superior.

Coin No. 3: ND (circa 1552) Holy Roman Empire/Nijmegan Ecu

It was struck in 1555 according to Davenport.

You are the answer man tonight!

Thanks, I remember you mentioning it but was under the impression it was Goldberg. Probably confusing the "G" things.

What were your best coins of the year, Greg?

Thanks, I remember you mentioning it but was under the impression it was Goldberg. Probably confusing the "G" things.

What were your best coins of the year, Greg?

Hard to pick favorites, but two that really stick out are:

1624 German Taler from the citystate of Ottingen-Ottingen. I've wanted this design for a while and kept losing out on eBay. I was very happy to pick this one up at the ANA show from a motivated seller at a great price.

dav-7136.jpg

1643 German (Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel) Bell Taler. Even though I can't get it into the grade I think it is, the coin is still wonderful looking. While common, it's one of the better ones I've seen.

belltaler.jpg

Another coin I really like is a 14th century Italian (Venice) Soldi. It's toned in wonderful blue and gold. No pictures of it as I cry every time I see it. NGC must have graded it on April Fools day as the grade is about 25 points too low. frown.gif

Hard to pick favorites

That's why you need ten!

I remember both those coins, the bell thaler was from ma'sattic on e-bay and you brought the Ottigen**2 along one week. The undergraded coin slips my mind (probably just as well).

You already know about my big disappointment of the year, the repaired Cologne thaler.

While a common type, it’s the only coin in my collection from the 17th century to make the grade of MS67.

This one came in the same batch as coin number 5 above. If you like a 17th century coin in MS67 you’ll love an 18th century coin in MS68!

I'm truly astonished!!! yeahok.gif Truly, it is hard to believe that these coins could have any possibility of grading so high. Amazing finds.

Greg, the Bell thaler is superb and beautiful also to me.

Hoot

Those are some impressive coins, James! thumbsup2.gif

Being the modern collector I am, the Japanese are my favorites, but your sweet Hall Thaler could persuade me...

The one and two Kreuzer are really unbelievable, I would have never imagined coins that old in this state of preservation! As for the Hall mint thaler's seller, you know you weren't the only one to suffer, fortunately my purchase from him was equally nice and worth the wait.

Yours are nice too Greg, but really, a top 5 if not a top 10 from you too would be an excellent idea, I'm tempted to do one myself tomorrow. cloud9.gif

Yours are nice too Greg, but really, a top 5 if not a top 10 from you too would be an excellent idea, I'm tempted to do one myself tomorrow. cloud9.gif

I just don't have enough of my coins imaged. This coming year I will do my best to get all my personal collection imaged. Here's another one of my favorites from this past year. I've been looking for one of these for a while. It's a Swiss 1/2T (medallic) from Beromunster dated 1720.

1720-km3.jpg

While a common type, it’s the only coin in my collection from the 17th century to make the grade of MS67.

This one came in the same batch as coin number 5 above. If you like a 17th century coin in MS67 you’ll love an 18th century coin in MS68!

I'm truly astonished!!! yeahok.gif Truly, it is hard to believe that these coins could have any possibility of grading so high. Amazing finds.

Greg, the Bell thaler is superb and beautiful also to me.

Hoot

I agree with that. When putting my grades on coins like this before certification I don't even bother with anything over 66. However, I sent these through Greg who alreted me that 67s or 68s were a possiblility. I didn't really beleive him, but he nailed it!

I have one other early coin in a 67 holder, a 1790 pfennig from Brandenburg-Ansbach.

Those are some impressive coins, James! thumbsup2.gif

Being the modern collector I am, the Japanese are my favorites, but your sweet Hall Thaler could persuade me...

Thanks! I like the Japanese stuff as they have such an exotic look to my eye - not even Western style dates. The 50 sen wasn't cheap but many nice Japanese coins can be had quite reasonably. Mint state thalers can get pricey.

The one and two Kreuzer are really unbelievable, I would have never imagined coins that old in this state of preservation! As for the Hall mint thaler's seller, you know you weren't the only one to suffer, fortunately my purchase from him was equally nice and worth the wait.

Salzburg seems to come particularly well preserved amoung the early stuff. Maybe the religiously inclined liked tham as keepsakes.

Top 10 lists are fun, they force you to put in words what really jazzes you about some coins and what doesn't quite make the cut. Especially handy if you collect across the board like I do, it can help focus limited dollars in the area of greatest collecting satisfaction.

I have one other early coin in a 67 holder, a 1790 pfennig from Brandenburg-Ansbach.

I hope you'll post this one some time as well!

Hoot

James,

I read and viewed this post with my eyes shut since I heeded your warning that they can become highly addictive!

But, since I've only taken one hit from the "darkside pipe" with the 1670SHS Austria 3 Kreuzer that I got from you, I find myself beating the addiction so far. But it ain't easy.

Great post!

1048696-1670HSAustria3KBreslau.jpg

1048696-1670HSAustria3KBreslau.jpg.ae60cafa79520d6961350a995c5f0624.jpg