• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$20 St Gaudens help

7 posts in this topic

Post pictures of the coins so we can be certain they are S mint makes and to check for cleaning etc... Are they UNC o r Circ? NGC does a great job on coins and is a reputable company ... Hope this helps

These particular dates, as I'm sure you are aware, change dramatically in price from one grade to the next higher. The 1927-S Saint could be worth $50K or more, depending on grade. You may want to have them certified before you sell them. If you are not a member of NGC, PCGS or ANA, you can submit for grading through a dealer. I would be very selective about the choice of a dealer to submit these coins through. You might consider a nationally known dealers such as American Numismatic Rareties, David Lawrence Rare Coins, or Heritage Rare Coins. Heritage will want to sell your coins if you submit through them.

Posting focused photos with at least 300 pixel resolution would help us to evaluate possible grading of these coins.

I agree with what others have said, a one point grade difference on either of these dates could mean well over $1000 difference in price, so I would definitely have them certified if I were selling them, and I would also want them certified if I were buying them. To buy either date raw would significantly diminish what I would be willing to pay for them, particularly the 27-S.

The most immediate concern is whether or not they are genuine. That question alone dictates that you must get these coins certified, unless you yourself are an expert (which I understand you are not).

Then, the secondary consideration is whether or not the coins are problem-free. If any have been cleaned, that has a detrimental effect. Scarce high-grade gold coins are the most cleaning-sensitive coins out there, since cleaning cannot be easily hidden on gold coins through retoning, etc. Once again, certification is important, though any collector or dealer of competent skills can probably tell you whether or not the coins are cleaned.

Granted the other two factors are not problems (in other words, the coins are genuine and not cleaned), then grade of course becomes the third and most important of their value, and here again, certification becomes important, because gold coins are difficult to grade at the threshold of AU-55 thorugh MS-62.

Either way you look at it, I would make a case that you need to get those coins into NGC at the earliest opportunity.

Good luck - hope you hit a home run!

James