• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any thoughts on Littleton?

28 posts in this topic

I've picked up some Littleton custom binders with the corrosion proof sleeve incerts for my Silver Eagles. They are of very nice quality and I'm very pleased.

Anyone care to share experiences purchacing from Littleton , good or bad?

TIA

My only advice: RUN!!!

Holy cow.. that was some quick responses. I'm glad I asked.... because Littleton sent me like 25.00 in coins to consider. Before purchasing.... I never asked for the coins to be sent.

Kinda like a pushy CD club. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Holy cow.. that was some quick responses. I'm glad I asked.... because Littleton sent me like 25.00 in coins to consider. Before purchasing.... I never asked for the coins to be sent.

More than just a bad taste,my friend. ulcers! yeahok.gif

Did you request a catalog from them? If so you did actually ask for the coins. It's in the fine print sign-rantpost.gif

Yeah I did.... wow, the old fine print trick.

yep this is where they get you. From there website:

Simply fill out the information below. You’ll also receive other fascinating selections from our FREE examination Coins on Approval Service, from which you may purchase any or none – return balance within 15 days – with option to cancel at any time.

Littleton *folders* are my favorite.. at least the ones with the grey backing. the black paper ones break through and annoy me. the albums aren't the best in my opinion.. i prefer dansco's, i just don't like the 4" binders with just 2 pages...

i don't know about buying from them but selling to them isn't a bad idea.. they do pay "top dollar" but they are very selective with their grading.. overall i like Littleton.

sending you coins without you asking for them does seem like those CD places, and if ya ask me it lacks class... but like i said, i like littleton overall

As someone who dabbles in reselling used coin albums, I'll state that the Littleton albums are excellent, superb quality and highly protective of the coins. I happen to think they are cosmetically attractive as well.

I would, of course, strongly recommend against buying coins from them, and they can be a pain in the rear-end to sell to as well.

James

I have looked at many collections where folks had used Littleton as their source of coins and my impression of them is that they sell relatively problem-free coins that are reasonably graded but they do so at exhorbitantly high prices. As for selling to them, they are one of the few large dealers willing to buy most any grade coin but they are very strict in their grading when they buy.

I have looked at many collections where folks had used Littleton as their source of coins and my impression of them is that they sell relatively problem-free coins that are reasonably graded but they do so at exhorbitantly high prices. As for selling to them, they are one of the few large dealers willing to buy most any grade coin but they are very strict in their grading when they buy.

Well, sounds like Littleton just practices good, sound business. But as for the coin of the month [embarrassing lack of self control] they pulled on me... tacky.

That coin of the month gig has been around at least since the '70's so it is apparently paying off for them. I used to do it when I was a kid. Two dollars a month would get me some foreign coin that was probably worthless.

That coin of the month gig has been around at least since the '70's so it is apparently paying off for them. I used to do it when I was a kid. Two dollars a month would get me some foreign coin that was probably worthless.

Worthless then but what is it worth now!!! 27_laughing.gif

I would, of course, strongly recommend against buying coins from them, and they can be a pain in the rear-end to sell to as well.

And I used to think PCGS was the toughest cookie on the block! 893whatthe.gif

littleton sells history and excitement and customer service to new persons who are into the history

smaller value coins with a little added for their services

at least they do not promote investments of what they sell

just collectibility and history

hopefully in your collecter growth experiences you move on from littleton to greener pastures

or for one small example they put many adverts in fancy artsy fartsy mags and also the back of the sunday paper coupon incerts and this is for the older folk to see and buy their grand kids nephews etc. some older coins that they remember and see if they can get the kids into collecting and history and excietment

i bet littleton has brought many up and coming numismatists into coins as advanced numismatists and helped plant the seed while making a good profit/business model for themselves

but never does little advertise investment or making monry just history and gift giving of something nice to give thatis historical

sort of plants a seed

if any are (sic) enough to continue to buy from them well it is a free country but i am sure that many move onto greener numismatic pastures and/or light s match of interest

possibly into a brighter flame and/or realize that they can get into numismatics more fully with more advanced value opportunity coins for them

littleton sells history and excitement and customer service to new persons who are into the history

smaller value coins with a little added for their services

at least they do not promote investments of what they sell

just collectibility and history

hopefully in your collecter growth experiences you move on from littleton to greener pastures

or for one small example they put many adverts in fancy artsy fartsy mags and also the back of the sunday paper coupon incerts and this is for the older folk to see and buy their grand kids nephews etc. some older coins that they remember and see if they can get the kids into collecting and history and excietment

i bet littleton has brought many up and coming numismatists into coins as advanced numismatists and helped plant the seed while making a good profit/business model for themselves

but never does little advertise investment or making monry just history and gift giving of something nice to give thatis historical

sort of plants a seed

if any are (sic) enough to continue to buy from them well it is a free country but i am sure that many move onto greener numismatic pastures and/or light s match of interest

possibly into a brighter flame and/or realize that they can get into numismatics more fully with more advanced value opportunity coins for them

Very well put, michael! It can all be boiled down into three words:

marketing, marketing, marketing

I spent 1.99 at littleton and got a 1999 SBA and a 2000 Sackie...which I later gaveaway. Face value......they then started sending me coins which I sent back and cancelled. they kind of got me started, or I should say interested. So overall Im feeling positive about them.

thumbsup2.gif

that is the key with littleton

starting many on coins and hopefully some continue to become advanced collectors and go to more coin sources for filling their collections thumbsup2.gif

It was nothing some moons ago before all this web stuff for coin companies to send a small, inexpensive group of coins to a person without even knowing them...1st time customers...on approval. I hear many people talk of Littleton and how good their service was for this. They also have the good stuff too and was told their prices at coin shows are comparable to other dealers.

The thing I didn't like about them was this. I bought 5 ASE's from them out of an ad put in my credit card statement. "Our cost and free shipping." I got my 5 ASEs. Along with 3 other ASEs at around $30 bucks a pop on approval that wasn't mentioned in the advert! I kept the 5 I ordered and put the 3 back in the envelope, attached four 37 cent stamps and placed it in a mailbox. I guess they got them back because I never heard anymore from them.

Besides that, if you find an old currency note in your attic, call them!!!!

Jerry