• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You find a rare coin, but it just may cost you bigtime

16 posts in this topic

It's 6:00PM, after spending a nice dinner in Gung Pows Chinese restaurant in Midtown Manhattan with friends, it's time to call it a night. You leisurely stroll to the subway on your way home. Down the stairs and wait 5 minutes for the subway to show up. You step into the car and off you go. In about 15 minutes you get a queasy feeling in your stomach. The sweet and sour pork was not settling well in your tummy, but you figure you can bear it until you get home. By chance you notice a shiney coin under one of the seats, where a burly homeless man is sitting. With your eagle eye, you notice it's a 1927S quarter in roughly VF condition with light toning and clean surfaces. The homeless man, not noticing the coin, places a foot over the coin. By now, the sweet and sour pork is slowly making it's way back up the intestinal track, waiting to explode with force at any sudden movement of your body. You are in a dilemma. You want to get the coin before anyone notices, but your body is ready to blow. What do you do:

a) wait until your destination and hope the homeless man gets off beforehand

b) call the homeless man away and risk his ire

c) bend over, reach for coin, push away the shoe and risk upchucking all over.

d) ask the homeless man to give you the coin on chance he may keep it

e) pull the emergency brake, grab the coin, and hope no one notices

TRUTH

h) Blow chow, then hope to outlast everyone on the car. Casually retrieve the quarter and get off at the stop following the one at which even the homeless guy couldn't stand it any more.

Ok, I now have that same feeling after eating a big burrito from Taco Time, now where's my Key Date SLQ????? tongue.gif

pull out a few bucks of my own. As I hand it to boxcar willy, I drop a couple of the bucks and nudge his foot out of my way as I retrieve them for him.

and I spew chow all over the floor after grabbing the bucks and the quarter.

truthteller

From what I've read, I'm not certain if you're about to upchuck or take a dump. Since others have already dealt with the former, I'll address the latter. The first thing you would need to do, is stand up, it just might pass. If not then you'll need to find something to lean against, back-cross your leg behind the other and squeeze those buttcheeks and grit your teeth as hard as possible.

This may cause enough distraction to make the guy leave or if you can't hold it, the guy will be leaving anyway. Either way, you win, so to speak and get the coin.

Leo wink.gif

<< Is this considered NYC etiquette? >>

I don't believe "NYC" and "etiquette" belong in the same sentence.

This thread reminds me of this story. Whether it's true or not, I guess we'll never know. But it's quite funny...funny enough that I don't care if it's true or not. (BTW, foul language warning on that link.)

MastaHanky,

I don't believe "NYC" and "etiquette" belong in the same sentence.

This New Yorker has enough etiquette to know better than to make a disparaging statement about a city of 8 million plus people. wink.gif

John

KingoftheJungle,

Your post reminded me of the time I was taking a subway from Narita airport to Tokyo late one night and some guy used the

subway car as a restroom facility.

You had to make it NYC, didn't you? Formerly W118th St and Amsterdam Ave. For those of you not familiar with NYC this is the northern tip of Manhattan or the lower end of Harlem, take your pick. I actually did not mind using the subway system after it was cleaned up a bit, however, you never knew what you would encounter once you went underground.

NYC has a wonderful and diverse personality. The women there are the best in the world. The people are extraordinarily interesting. The place is full of energy.

During the summer, underground in the tunnels that connect Times Square and Port Authority, you always hear lots of music and see people dancing. Yes -- underground!

Far and away, that city has the greatest appeal to me.

EVP