• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coins Too Large For Regular Slab

5 posts in this topic

I just saw a picture of a coin that was too large to fit in a regular slab. It was placed in a larger than normal slab - possibly a variation on the multi-coin slab.

My Questions:

1) Is NGC using a new slab size that is bigger than the standard slab, but smaller than the multi-coin slab or was this a multi-coin slab?

2) Is this new size available for all oversized coins?

3) In the past if a coin was too big for it to be slabbed it would either be returned (graded) with an insert in a flip or just in a flip and marked as Non-Eligible Type. If I submit some oversized coins, will they now automatically be encapsulated in this larger slab or do you have to request it specially?

4) What is the largest sized coin that can fit in this slab?

5) Assuming I have oversized coins that were graded and returned in a flip with the insert, do these have to go thru the grading process again in order to get them in this slab?

The new holder is one used for coins that are too large to fit into a Normal NGC holder.

The new holder is still in development and we try our best to accommodate as many coins as possible but some are still too big, awkward sized, too thick or in between current core sizes so we may not be able to accommodate all coins.

The holder is available on a request basis and only if the coin will not in a normal holder and can fit into the larger holder.

The current largest available size is 80mm for the new holder.

Coins already graded by NGC and returned too large to be encapsulated will have to be regarded.

That's great, Jay! I have alot of French medals produced by the Monnaie de Paris. Would these be eligible? What would be the maximum thickness? Since you are still experimenting, would you like to use some of my medals as guinea pigs?

Chris

Those medals are currently non-eligible since we do not grade or encapsulate them. The maximum thickness of a coin is the same as the small holder 4mm. We don’t need any guinea pigs, but thanks for asking.

Jay Turner

NGC Grader and Attributor