• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ANACS Crossover to NGC

20 posts in this topic

Does any one have any history or experience crossing over ANACS slabs to NGC at the same or better grade? I have a boat load of Morgans I am starting to crossover to make a registry set here.

Mike

headbang.gif

Mike... No first hand experience but there was a thread on here a while back with a similar topic. Expect a drop of about 2 to 3 grades assuming it will even grade by NGC. Any suface problems ie: impropper cleaning or other things will prevent the coins from crossing over.

mhardin2413 - Were they a grade lower BECAUSE that was the minimum you would accept and they went with it OR did you think they were overgraded BEFORE sending them in.?

when i send anacs slabs to either ngc or pcgs, i do so to make the coins more liquid on teh eBay market. i don't request a minimum grade, so whatever they earn, they earn. personally, i have a very hard time distinguishing a 65 from a 64, or a 64 from a 63. all i can say is that each time i've sent in an anacs coin to either pcgs or ngc, they come back one grade lower. hope this helps.

I give you about a 30% chance..i.e. out of 100 coins 30 will cross. I am taking it for granted that you're talking old ANACS and not NEW ANACS.

By the way, James Taylor will be on the www.coincommunity.com forum in Jan taking questions. You'll see a little notice about it if/when you go to the link.

Jerry

From people I've talked to, the % is pretty good. Honestly, despite some of the hype and flat-out misinformation you may see on "other" coin forums, the three leading services have similar standards grading Morgans.

However, I do not have much experience crossing Morgans.

James

I give you about a 30% chance..i.e. out of 100 coins 30 will cross. I am taking it for granted that you're talking old ANACS and not NEW ANACS.

By the way, James Taylor will be on the www.coincommunity.com forum in Jan taking questions. You'll see a little notice about it if/when you go to the link.

Jerry

We have a definite date and time for James' visit:

Wednesday, January 11 at 9 PM Eastern time. Hope you all have a chance to check in and participate. thumbsup2.gif

Well I have 17 ANACS slabs should be arriving at NGC this AM - Including an 1901 AU58 ... I honestly think it is undergraded but we will see. 30 + days and Then I have a lot of updating to my registry set to do. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Boy..is this thread timely.....I just received my coins back from my dealer that had been out for NGC's opinion and I almost fell over when I got to the last slab in the box. One of the coins I had submitted was purchased in an ANACS slab about 15 years ago. It was a 1913 MS63 R/B Lincoln that I quickly cracked out and put into my Dansco to complete my P-mint date set in nice full red or nearly red condition, and branch mints in whatever.

Well...my eclectic collecting career is winding down and I've been slabbing a lot of my various raw collections for maximum liquidity. - (I have a penchant for collecting European-style, I like to hold coins, not plastic, hence my re-slabbing is costing me a bunch).

In the last batch I submitted was the ANACS 1913 MS63 RB Lincoln. It's now in a NGC PF64 RB! Kudo's to NGC graders for picking out the Proof designation on an MS submission. The upgrade that added $300.00 to the value helps take the sting out of the formerly ANACS 1910-S MS63 RB that came back with the "improperly cleaned" sympathy card attached to the toe tag.

The upgrade that added $300.00 to the value helps take the sting out of the formerly ANACS 1910-S MS63 RB that came back with the "improperly cleaned" sympathy card attached to the toe tag.

sign-funnypost.gif

ANACS is by no means second rate. I'd imagine most would cross easily. I'd also not be surprised to see NGC and PCGS coins crossing lower at ANACS. Yeah, ANACS has some poorly graded pieces out there, but so do NGC and PCGS, believe me, I've bought many of them early on. I have found ANACS to be very consistent and mostly reliable. To be quite frank, I think they've been spot on lately, while NGC has been a bit loose and PCGS has been virgin tight.

Any coin come back yet?....Speaking of ANACS cross-overs , I have several SEGS holdered Franklins ...that held up to same grade PCGS and NGC Franks...look a lot better , with fewer marks and more pronounced Bell Lines. I heard that SEGS graded very conservatively , but do not know much about them...Did you leave all your coins in the ANACs holders , or did you 'crack' any out?

Depends on the coin ... I was using my own ability to decipher those that would cross and those I would rather let them go in fresh at. The crack outs I have not submitted yet.I will have one express in this week and the rest when they arrive I willl llet you know how I did .The express is a Gold piece so I think it will cross fine at a MS61 - (1902 Double Eagle)