• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you think the PCGS dealers who post on the PCGS website...........

30 posts in this topic

will come over here and post also, or is there a financial incentive to stay over there. Frankly, the dealers who post on a regular basis on the PCGS forum seem to use it for sales, advertising, etc.

TRUTH

truth you sum it up well

it is from what i have seen all about the money

to sell something and make a profit with for the most part everything else and everyone else be damned

such is the coin game

sincerely michael

I think many (most) of them are there only to promote their business. Some of them seem to do it only to make contacts. I've been contacted by several of them with possible coins to buy. While I didn't mind it, I've heard that some of the registry type dealers can get a little pushy over there.

On the flip side, I've also gotten some good deals from the dealers over there. It's a lot easier to deal if they "know" you.

Unfortunately, I've also seen a couple of dealer point out eBay auctions and ask for opinions. I knew that the dealer asking for opinions was the seller.

I wish we could get Laura over here. She's a wealth of knowledge, but I guess she enjoys sticking the needles in David Hall over there. I'd also like to see Bryan Osborne (Texas Bullion Traders) over here with all his monsters. Same with Ardian Crane (Anaconda). Also gsaguy with his Morgans.

Greg- It won't take long. Many of those Dealers you mentioned you would like over here appear to be disgruntled with the PCGS Forums and (I hope) will find their way here.

In the meantime, each of those Dealers you mentioned, especially ANACONDA and GSAGUY, have been posting less and less- if at all.

The Thread and post volume remains the same though, so what does that tell you?

Part of the issue is time - Laura simply doesn't have the time to track both boards. Also, she's having problems getting her password updated - I know that she wanted to post regarding the Heritage bust quarter but couldn't sign in.

I am surprised by how many still post there. It's a mine field for dealers there. I see posts from members that seem to reflect their past buying habits which brought them grief spill over into an attitude of hatred towards dealers. Maybe I am in a minority in my thinking but if you overpaid for a coin or got stuck with a dog of a coin from a dealer then at the very least you need to take some responsibility for the purchase also. God forbid one of the dealers makes a pricing error.

I am new here. Also sorta new on the PCGS forum. Just retired from coin bizz/pawnbroker and gravitating back to collecting (with OCCASIONAL sales)

I didn't know NGC had this forum. My handle does NOT indicate any support for counterfeits. It was just sumpin that struck me when I registered.

With shop closed, I have some time now to find coin resources other than people walking in to tell me they have a misspelled Peace dollar.

But, to answer question..........I just didn't know you guys were here.

Now I do.

Still figuring out where to reply to. The PCGS forum seems to be VERY tilted toward PCGS slabs........(duhh)

But to exclude the other slabs is silly. Junk resides in all and so do gems.

I am NOT an exclusive PCGS fan.

I agree with NWCS. However, intelligent posts are appreciated here on the NCG forum, over there on PCGS, you never know.

TRUTH

Why would a dealer have to choose to be over here or over there? Why not both?

It's not that anyone wants them to pick here or there. It's just us wondering why they are still there and not here. Why stay at a place where so many are hostile toward you because you are a dealer?

Very few dealers post over there under their true identity. I know of dealers that post there (and probably here too), but don't reveal who they are since they don't want to get attacked for BS reasons.

I've always considered Mark Feld to be EXTREMELY helpful to anyone that asks and starts alot of excellent and helpful threads.

I also enjoy some of Laura's threads too! I don't like stuff candy coated and she doesn't coat it!!

I don't think I've ever seen either of those 2 trying to pimp their goods.

I really hope Laura gets any password issues straightened out so that she might be able to tell us what she is thinking regarding the 1831 Capped Bust quarter in the Heritage sale.

For many dealers, they may feel like they have invested the time on the PCGS site and that there is a high traffic volume at that site, therefore, they might be hesitant to embrace the additional time requirements that would be required to contribute on the NGC site given its apparently slow pace. I use the word apparently since, even though there are far fewer posts, I don't think the actual numismatic action is all that different.

If I was a dealer with no guilt and there were still a few puppies over there buying into the hype, what do you think? The PCgs pond is full of fishies and ebay, heritage and teletrade don't help matters. When the bottom falls out, remember who those dealers are who didn't give a [!@#%^&^] about most collectors and the real market value of coins. Remember them by not ever buying from them again.

Leo

She says she's seen lots of coins tone in way less than two years and that without seeing the coin in person it's impossible to say with any certainty.

I guess I have to agree - especially if sticking a white coin in a W.R. album and putting it on top of a light case isn't considering AT'ing a coin!

If they don't make the WR albums anymore and I don't think they do. I wouldn't think an old album would not tone a coin in as much as a fresh newly manufactuered album. A new album would release its chemicals and smell for awhile but wouldn't they eventually dry out so to speak?

Leo

This is one of my first posts to any forum. I think most dealers (like me) who ocassionally browse the PCGS board find the general tone to be mean-spirited. Which is why it's become a no-man's land. Not that we are above crisitcism, by any means. But I think there's a lot of intimidation tactics that are used on those boards and the word is "watch out." Heaven forbid you make a mistake or speak your mind. The lynch mob will attack!

From what I can see the NGC boards are moderated which means that members can be held accountable for their aggregious statements. I look forward to participating on this board.

-John Feigenbaum

davidlawrence, the sad thing is that over there the dealers, even the honest ones, are all treated like the enemy. There is one dealer that over there can do no right. I cannot understand why they continue to post. Others have been run off or close to being run off. Some of the run off dealers have returned. I guess they get a kick out of the beatings.

Having said that, there are a LOT of scumbag dealers that get bashed over there and they deserve it. Sadly, PCG$ will allow these dealers to continue to post over there. PCG$ even promotes a big ACG dealer on their site.

Welcome John! Although you may not be used to hearing this, particularly on the PCGS forum, I've been very satisfied with every purchase I've made with your organization. Keep up the good work!

Andy laugh.gif

Welcome to the other side of the street Laura. Welcome John. I have at least one of your books; "The Complete Guide to Washington Quarters". Good luck.

Hi John-

I look forward to your continued participation on the NGC boards. I stop by your table at every show and often take out a box of wildly toned coins. The people who work your tables always seem genuinely pleased to see these coins. There are also several coins in my complete type set that have come from your company. smile.gif

I find it interesting as I monitor both the NGC and PCGS Message boards. I believe there is a shift towards the NGC Message Board. Here is an example. I place this post on both sites:

NGC thread

The responses were telling for me. The NGC responses were more and more thought out. The PCGS responses were almost non existent.

I will say that we monitor these Mesage boards for a number of reasons - To share information, to learn, to market, customer service, and the love of coin collecting.

Todd

Welcome John!

I am very happy to hear that you will be posting here. I have been dealing with David Lawrence rare coins for a numbers of years now and can honestly say that I have never been disappointed with a coin I have received from your firm. I especially like the rating system of numbers and stars that you use to rate the coins on your site.

Looking forward to your contributions to this board.

John

The NGC boards now, remind me of the early days "across the street"....

Didn't post much there then or now but there was always a

wealth of information to pick up each day just reading the threads.

I don't post often here either but the info is great! Glad to see Laura and

John make their way here also.......I think in time others will come....

such as GSAGUY, TBT, etc......(if you build it they will come!):)

I personally feel that both boards are a great place......granted things

get a little wild over there but sometime a great deal of information comes

out of a few of these threads.

I do agree that I sometime wonder why dealers show their "faces" on these boards....they usually get "trash" pretty quick no matter what they say. It'll be interseting, as this board continues to grow, to see if it has the same type of growing pains as "across the street."

Steve

www.pqdollars.com

Welcome John and Laura! I post on both boards & take what I like from each of them. I want to give John a plug; I finally found a nice Capped Bust Quarter in 4 & got it from Win at your office around Christmas. I am very happy with the coin & always stop by your table at Long Beach. Ditto re your table, Laura.

I continue to swing between both boards because it's a reflection of how I feel about competition in the certification market. My position is you should buy the coin and forget brand loyalty. Therefore I place PCGS and NGC in the highest category and ANACS in a secondary position.

I've tried to support some other services like ICG when they introduced their product and even SEGS to a minor extent. Unfortunately those services "did not support me" because they have issued so many overgraded coins. Reluctantly I've come to the conclusion that I can't sell their product.

I don't want to see ANY grading service take control of the coin market. If any of them ever did they would make life miserable for dealers and collectors alike. That's what really disturbs me about the "PCGS weenies" (the Kool Aid guys) who will buy only PCGS products. They are a pain the butt, and if they get really bad about it, I don't bother with their want lists.

As for taking heat across street, I've had more than my share from one individual who is a major cheerleader for ALL modern coins. He will attack anyone who does not agree with him that MANY modern coins are worth over $1,000 apiece and that there are numerous rarities in the modern series for which collectors should be willing to pay high prices. I’ve come to expect the attacks and just ignore him. At one point he got so bad that other posters started to criticize him for his personal attacks on me. I got some satisfaction from that.