• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st strike silver eagles are now "treasures" according to Teletrade

15 posts in this topic

a treasure devil.gif

how many of these treasures are the principals/owners of these selling venues

putting away in their retirement funds and it their kids college funds 27_laughing.gif

What a load of male cattle poop! mad.gif

God Almighty, Hayden, please look up the definition of "cow."

27_laughing.gif

Hoot

Oops! blush.gif

Big time edit needed there! 893whatthe.gif

27_laughing.gif

What's funny is the auction is for a lot of "10 items". As if to say, "each of these 10 coins was the first one struck off this pair of dies".

Really, can PCGS get more ridiculous than this program? Even "early strike" would be pushing it as a designator.

Perhaps the ultimate irony is that the earliest coins struck off a pair of dies are often not the best struck examples, as die adjustments are made throughout the die-life to improve the strike (or so I understand).

James

What a load male cow poop! mad.gif

27_laughing.gif

Hoot

Really! grin.gif

Oh, Hayden, that's redneck humor but oh so true.

Bull = mating male

steer = cut male

cow = female that's given birth

What a load male cow poop! mad.gif

27_laughing.gif

Hoot

Really! grin.gif

Oh, Hayden, that's redneck humor but oh so true.

Bull = mating male

steer = cut male

cow = female that's given birth

And what would you know about redneck humor? poke2.gif

tongue.gif

What I'd like to know is how he's so well informed about livestock? 893naughty-thumb.gif

Heh heh. Oops. Sorry, Victor...

angel.gif

Beijim

In a fascinating demonstration of just how bogus this designation truly is, a search on the PCGS web site for "first strike" yields exactly NO information whatsoever, other than this posting on their message board expressing the same level of doubt as seems to prevail here.

The term "first strike" is similarly absent from both the Lingo and FAQ'S sections of the site. I'm hoping someone will correct me and provide a link to the place where PCGS proudly discusses the designation, describes its precise meaning, and explains why such a designation makes one MS-anything better than another.

Until then, I'm not holding my breath, just my belly.

27_laughing.gif

Beijim

Finally, regarding the ridiculous Treasure designation, it appears to have been misapplied in this particular listing. According to the definition, "Treasure" applies to coins with a value at or above $2,500. If Teletrade wants to pay me $1,000 per First Strike 1997 MS69 Silver Eagle and sell them for $2,500, they know where to reach me.

Therein lies the one of at least three aspects that make this designation proliferation ludicrous:

• Designations are pointless if you don't use them correctly and consistently.
  • Too many designations is worse than none at all.
  • The Treasure designation in particular seems to imply that some collectors search only for coins whose value exceeds $2,500. What is that?

I suppose this is the point where you just have to throw up your hands, roll your eyes, and say, "Whatever."

confused-smiley-013.gif

Beijim

What I'd like to know is how he's so well informed about livestock? 893naughty-thumb.gif

Heh heh. Oops. Sorry, Victor...

angel.gif

Beijim

'cause we've been very, very close in the wee hours of the morning in Arkansas. But! don't judge me none 'cause I'm very selective and only choose the purdy ones. grin.gif

foreheadslap.gif

'cause we've been very, very close in the wee hours of the morning in Arkansas. But! don't judge me none 'cause I'm very selective and only choose the purdy ones. grin.gif

Moo. Heh heh.

This was a good (and welcome) laugh grin.gif. Rock on.

Beijim

P.S. My uncle, when he thought someone wasn't the brightest bulb on the string, would say, "That guy couldn't tell a heifer from a Hereford." That cracked me up.

Totally sign-offtopic.gif