• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Happened to TruthTeller's 1989 Long Beach show Thread?

7 posts in this topic

TRUTH posted an interesting Thread yesterday regarding the crash of 1989 and how it hit at Long Beach. It was informative and I was looking forward to reading other Collectors take on those events but now see the intire Thread is gone. Why?

I don't recall reading anything that slammed NGC?

AHHHHH!!! Yes.

I don't know why I thought it was its own Thread! Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction. It's good to read what others thought of this interesting time in coin collecting.

At the time I was collecting a set of raw mid grade (call them FN12, problem free stuff) 19th and 20th Century type and wasn't affected really by the hoopla.

I had a few toned PCGS Morgans but nothing to brag about.

I found it funny though that even ten years after the fact there was one Coin World advertiser that would continue to lean on the "1989 Highs" when he was puffing up his latest inventory offerings. (No mention ever made of the 1991 lows. . .)

I found it funny though that even ten years after the fact there was one Coin World advertiser that would continue to lean on the "1989 Highs" when he was puffing up his latest inventory offerings. (No mention ever made of the 1991 lows. . .)

There are STILL several dealers who point out the 1989 highs as a part of the advertising of their coins.... confused.gif

I was in a coin shop a couple of weeks ago and asked about a coin. While looking at it the dealer pulled out an old 1989 copy of the blue sheet and read off the 1989 price of the coin.

I didn’t take it as though he was trying influence my buying decision, I took it more as he was just commenting on how much the coin was going for back then, but I was shocked that he still had a copy of the blue sheet that old!

John