• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Week # 189 - Gobble Gobble

12 posts in this topic

QUESTION:

Before changing the composition of the Jefferson five-cent piece in 1942, what was the proposed solution to reducing the use of nickel?

Good luck!

Our first place winner will receive a copy of David Lange's book "The Complete Guide to Buffalo Nickels" (second edition), signed. A prize will be given to a randomly selected participant with the correct answer.

REMINDER: The Numisma-Quest ends/ended on Saturday at midnight EST. Entries after that time will not be valid. See the Trivia Info post for more details.

When you post your answer, only the administrators can see it. Stop back each Monday. We will make all the posts visible and announce the winners .

QUESTION:

Before changing the composition of the Jefferson five-cent piece in 1942, what was the proposed solution to reducing the use of nickel?

ANSWER:

Resumption of the silver half dime.

Sorry, no one has gotten the answer correct.

Thanks for playing and stop back next week for another question. Keep up the good work

OK Smarty pants!!! lol!!! Direct us to the reference where we can find this info! And I'm not stopping back next week either! And you know why? Because I'm not leaving so I won't need to stop back by!

Jerry

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I picked that up from a clipping in my numismatic scrapbook. I believe it was in one of Alan Herbert's columns, but it was so long ago that I wasn't as careful about noting the source as I've been in recent years.

Contemporary reports in The Numismatist announced that legislation was pending early in 1942 for a Jefferson five-cent piece of 50% copper and 50% silver. This plan was scrapped because such coins would have a different magnetic signature than the standard coin of 75% copper and 25% nickel. Such pieces would thus not work in vending machines.

I believe the proposal for a renewed coinage of half dimes sought to make the five-cent piece easily distinguishable from pre-war nickels so that the public wouldn't attempt to use them in machines. This proposal never went very far, the Mint continuing to experiment with the conventional-size Jefferson nickel until it found the alloy of copper, silver and manganese that ultimately was adopted near the end of the year.

We've had a string of NumismaQuest quizzes that went unanswered, so we'll try to come up with questions that can be answered from more widely disseminated references.

questions that can be answered from more widely disseminated references.

You mean we can look uo these questions in references 893scratchchin-thumb.gif