• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bust Half Question

5 posts in this topic

Ok, this will show my novice ability as well as my continued lack of an Overton Book (it's still on backorder), but I just got the results of the varieties on the three halves I sent to NGC. So if anyone can tell me a little more about them I would owe a debt of gratitude. Here they are:

1807 Draped O-110A

1810 O-108

1831 O-103

Thanks!

• 1807 Draped O-110A - R.3, with heavy die cracks encircling nearly all of the obv and rev.
    1810 O-108 - R.3, obv has light die crack from border to drapery (w/ cracks at OF AMERICA is O-108a)
    1831 O-103 - R.1

I used the B&M catalog (11/02) of the Russ Logan collection for the above information.

EVP

Thanks EVP, that is very helpful info. I looked them up as well on the Heritage auction archives, unfortunately some of the auctions didn't have photos since they were so long ago. There were two 1810 O-108s, one in 1998 and another in 1996. The 1807 O-110a had two in 2002 with some helpful photos, but the one that I think grades closest to mine (VFish) was from 1994, so no photo. At least they weren't all just common ones (not that an R.3 is rare).

They are nice coins to own, what grades did they get?

1807 O.110A You should be able to see the center dot on the obverse just to the left and below the ear, there should also be significant die cracks along the obverse perimeter. This is just a later die state of the O.110, which is an R2, so I would really call this an R2.

1810 O.108 Most of this variety have areas of flat rims on the obverse, although this is not unusual on 1810 CBHs. The reverse usually has significant die cracks. Again, there are two die states for this coin and each is an R3, so, this date may be an R3 or R2.

1831 O.103 Has fairly flat obverse stars and is R1.

That is a great description Tom, thanks for the knowledge! There are no grades yet, they just got into grading today, and the varieties were updated, but the grades not till tomorrow or the next day. My guess is the 1807 is in the F-VF range, the 1810 is in the XF range, and the 1831 is probably VF.