• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Big Entrance for Andy!

13 posts in this topic

Did anyone notice the complete US type set from Andy? The set is called "The Mint State Type Collection" and has listed in it some absolutely monster coins! shocked.gif At this point there are no images or notes, however, if they ever get listed I would love to look again.

Nice snag on the chain cent! I almost had Laura convinced I should buy that coin [assuming it's the one that Jonathan Kern had for sale], but by the time I did, it was sold.

No offense guys, but does anyone know who "Andy" is? I question those who never post descriptions or photographs. It would be an easy matter to go to a major show or even see a photo of a slab somewhere, and get the serial numbers. One could have a pretty impressive silver dollar collection if they copied the serial numbers from the coins illustrated in the Highfill book (The Comprehensive U.S. Silver Dollar Encyclopedia).

If the the true owner never registers the coin, there would never be a question. On the other other hand, does anyone know what NCG does if someone tries to register a coin that is already registered?

One of the coins in my NGC Registry set was already registered when I tried to list it. I sent a note out to NGC about teh coin and they got in touch with the person who had previously registered the coin and removed it from the list. It took about a day.

No offense guys, but does anyone know who "Andy" is? I question those who never post descriptions or photographs. It would be an easy matter to go to a major show or even see a photo of a slab somewhere, and get the serial numbers. One could have a pretty impressive silver dollar collection if they copied the serial numbers from the coins illustrated in the Highfill book (The Comprehensive U.S. Silver Dollar Encyclopedia).

I have exchanged a number of emails with Andy, and I can tell you he is the "real deal." He has a wonderful collection of early classic coins, that he is just now getting around to registering so that others can enjoy them as well. I've seen a few of the images already. Just wait until he gets them posted -- you'll be impressed!

Besides, I suspect that stealing serial numbers from the Highfill book would be rather difficult -- wouldn't most of those coins have been cracked out and resubmitted for even higher grades and new serial numbers by now?

--Cardinal

• Administrator

When we verify a coin already registered to another user, we get a message telling us who the coin is registered to. That user will receive a notification that someone else is registering the coin and unless they tell us differently, we assume they no longer have the coin and will register it to the new owner.

When a coin is cracked out and resubmitted, the insert still exists. So far as the certification company is concerned, the orginal certification is still valid.

What's to stop a crack out artist who has a lot of old slips around from selling the other collectors?

When a coin is cracked out and resubmitted, the insert still exists. So far as the certification company is concerned, the orginal certification is still valid.

True, the only problem is that for sets like this, one person having access to all the certs for a large number of high grade coins is highly unlikely.

I look forward to seeing some pics of some of these coins.