• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hello All

6 posts in this topic

It's been a while since I've posted here, but that's largely due to the demands of work (too much travel) and pursuing my MBA. Both of those activities have made my numismatic activities take a back seat...and that includes even reading what's going on here and across the street. But, the past two week-ends I was able to attend two different shows, so that gave me the impetus to read what's been going on and drop a post.

Two weeks ago the Lockport, NY coin show was held. Its a very small show with all of about 15 dealers and is held on Sunday only, but it was a lot of fun because I was able to meet up with my brother and his two sons. While I didn't spend much, I managed to acquire a lovely MS64 1892 Columbian Half and 1954 proof set with a very nice cameo half dollar. One of the best things was spending time talking with one of the dealers who was my Social Studies teacher in high school back in the '70's. Last year I purchased a killer Norfolk commem from him, but I forgot to call him in advance to tell him that I'd be there so he didn't bring most of his commems. He told me about a high grade Gettysburg that he has, and since he lives less than 5 miles from my mother, I think I'll have to stop in and see him on my next pilgrimage to see Mom. grin.gif Two other additions were for my wife. They were a Hungarian 1 Forint bill from the 1800's and a very neat $1 Hungarian Fund demand note dated 1852 and payable one year after the establishment of the INDEPENDENT HUNGARIAN GOVERNMENT. I had brought some coins - circulated Indian cents and Morgan dollars for my nephews, so after we were done with the show we went to grab a late lunch and I added to their collections. It was a very satisfying day.

The coin show last week was in Rochester, NY. For whatever reason this show never made it into Coin World so I have to think that attendance was much smaller than it would have otherwise been. This show had about 25 dealers or so, and there were a number of familiar faces from the Lockport show the week before. Since my son had to work I attended Saturday by myself. My finds were 3 MS67 war nickels in NGC fatty slabs that are candidates for 5-step attribution. For $25 a piece it seemed like a deal worth taking a shot at. I also found a '62 proof set with a lovely deep cameo cent. And my last purchase was a 1939 Hungarian crown-size coin in mint condition for $20. So, for a little more than $100 two week-ends in a row I had pretty much satisfied my coin jones and had enough acquisitions to round out my latest submissions to NGC. On Sunday, my son was able to change his work schedule, and even though I hadn't planned on going back, it was too good of an opportunity to miss. He found several very nice raw Jefferson Nickels for his collection. And, since I hate to leave a show empty handed, I picked up a raw 1952 proof Franklin with a gorgeous cameo for a shockingly low price. Some days you just get lucky...if not for my son wanting to go, I would have never bought it because I didn't see it the day before. wink.gif

Good to see you back! I hope you get to post more often.

Actually, the Rochester show did have a small display ad in Coin World, but I don't think they had a listing in the regular coin show columns.

Roger - Great to see you back here! Thanks for the reports!

3 MS67 war nickels in NGC fatty slabs that are candidates for 5-step attribution.

Way to go! Those could be significant "upgrades" in terms of price.

Hoot

Sweet post! Truly from the POV of a true collector. Nice pick up on the cameos. Most Franklins don't appeal to me much but I always love a nice cameo'd piece.

And what's the odds of running into an old school teacher like that....

thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the responses. I've missed reading the posts and posting practically anything as most of my spare time has taken a back-seat to school. Sigh...I'll be happy when I have this behind me in a year crazy.gif

My submissions are off to NGC - 5 regrades, 6 modern, and 6 economy. Now I get to play the waiting game and see what happens.

Hoot - I only ended up sending 2 of the Jeff's for regrade as one of them, upon viewing in better light has a slight bridge between two steps. But, it's still an upgrade over the 1943-S MS67 I already had, and at 25 bucks can't be viewed as a loss. cool.gif