• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Non payers

9 posts in this topic

And report to E-Bay (or whomever). Unless there is a lot of money involved, there is no other feasible remedy, and if a lot of money is involved you can probably do as will with a relist.

Luckily, out of 700+ auctions, I've had about 3 deadbeats and no negatives (((( knocking on wood until knuckles bleed )))). The only reason I mention this is to perhaps prove that a system of honesty with the buyer and selling the "right stuff" works.

My startegy is to ATTRACT THE RIGHT KIND OF BUYER in the first place.

For example, I don't try to attract newbies and home shoppers with stuff like this:

ESTATE SALE LOAD OF MERCS ! 1916-D Found!

or

UNSEARCHED WHEATS, VDB ??????? LOOK!

Also, I don't want my bidders to be surprised when they open the package. I avoid verbage like this: "Please grade it yourself, but I'd say it's a MS-64 which books for $120".

As far as the wording of the auction, I gear it for the knowledgeable collector. For instance, a newbie isn't going to bid on a "Brown Ike" but a collector would. A home shopper is going to be bowled over by "Shiny and Clean" but a collector would prefer "It's been cleaned, please bid accordingly". A collector will appreciate notes like "one hard hit below chin keeps coin from Gem status, but otherwise not too baggy" whereas that will scare off the impulse buyers and have them scampering for a dipped XF being sold as Gem BU.

As far as dealing with deadbeats, I fill out the approprate forms with eBay and leave the person alone. No good comes from conversing with a thief.

I am very patient. Almost everybody pays.

However a few weeks back it looked like I had three deadbeats at the same time!! I took my time sending repeated emails. Finally I filled out the eBay form and eBay sent their warning email. After some time I actually was contacted by one of them who said her husband bid and didn't pay and she was out of town.

Neither of the other two responded. So I was able to finally file my Non Paying Bidder form. By the time my account was credited with the Final Value Fees both non payers were NARUd so I didn't have the opportunity to provide negative feedback.

I had a non-paying bidder on a $500 coin a few weeks ago and he would not respond so I got his contact info from ebay and gave him a call. He responded to emails after that and though he did not purchase the coin he did make it right with me covering all of my losses. mike

I've got one now. $600ish in won auctions, and no contact. Still buying on Ebay. Must have spent too much with me, and doesn't know what to do. I file all the required emails, and procedures with Ebay, and then NEG the [!@#%^&^] out of them. If I get a retaliatory neg, I'll deal with it. I've had a few over the years, and never hear a peep, even after the Neg. is filed.

Thankfully, I haven't had too many compared to the number of auctions I have run.

I pretty much handle all my auctions the same way. They get an automated email after the auction ends with payment instructions. If I don't get payment or hear from them within 10-14 days, I'll send them another email. After a few days they get the NPB warning from eBay. If I don't hear from them within the 10 day period, I file the FVC with eBay and I neg them (sometimes wait a couple of days to see if they get NARUed).

I have negged EVERY NPB that hasn't been NARUed. Never had a retalitory neg, but when I get one, I will deal with it. I feel it is my duty to inform other sellers about bad bidders.

I also add them to the Blocked Bidder list as soon as I file the FVC as I don't want to deal with them ever again.

I had one person send me payment after I filed the FVC and they had been NARUed. I assumed they wanted me to contact eBay and tell them he paid so he could get his account back. It didn't happen.

...a dipped XF being sold as Gem BU.

As far as dealing with deadbeats... No good comes from conversing with a thief.

This goes double for thieving coin dealers! Con me once, shame on you, con me twice, shame on me.

You jinxed me. mad.gif I haven't had a NPB in a while and just today I noticed that a bidder I am waiting for payment from is a -1 feedback bidder. mad.gif