• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$10 Gold Mormon Coins worth $120,000!

33 posts in this topic

post pics... and we can try to auth them for you... or point you in the right direction... I would say send them to NGC but if they are obvious fakes not worth the time....

where are you located? if you tell me i can direct you to a coin seller that will help you deside if it is worth to have them submitted to ngc/pcgs

if they are not worth the submission fees the coin seller will tell you so and you save $$$$

as if they are genuine original morman minting products 1849 ten dollar gold and each of the 5 grade at least vf then the coins are worth at least 750,000 for all five

if you get them validated then tell me on here i can get you the $$$$ easy really easy and all for you!!

that is the least and easyist of the scenerio

getting them in ngc/pcgs holders that is another story

but it is all water under the bridge so to speak if they are genuine original coins

Take a deep breath and have some chamomile tea. The odds are against you here but hey you never know. They could be real. Just don't call your boss and tell them to reproduce with thereself! The odds are not with you on this.

Now could you provide us with clear pictures of these coins? Also how did you obtain the coins? If you could do this it would be quite helpful.

I am located in Akron Ohio, I had recieved the coins from my grandfather a few years back. He did not know what they were or where they came from, the only thing he told me was, the man he bought them off, found them in a coal mine, and that was it.

I will have a picture up asap.

Take a deep breath and have some chamomile tea. The odds are against you here but hey you never know. They could be real. Just don't call your boss and tell them to reproduce with thereself! The odds are not with you on this.

Now could you provide us with clear pictures of these coins? Also how did you obtain the coins? If you could do this it would be quite helpful.

Travis, U GOT WIT! Wow! Where did that come from? tongue.gif

hi.gif

I am located in Akron Ohio, I had recieved the coins from my grandfather a few years back. He did not know what they were or where they came from, the only thing he told me was, the man he bought them off, found them in a coal mine, and that was it.

I will have a picture up asap.

Even though the story sounds plausible and lends credibility to the items being authentic, the mormons were pretty much settled in Utah in 1849 which, it seems to me, would concentrate more of the mormon gold in that area.

Travis, U GOT WIT! Wow! Where did that come from? tongue.gif

hi.gif

the same way you got yours... a lobotomy yeahok.gif

There was a second variety of coin that was minted, after the mint was broken into and robbed. The second variety of this coin was not PURE gold but a mixture.

The fact you can see another metal under the coin casts serious doubts on authenticity. Your coins are probably made out of lead or some other metal and are plated or covered with a substance that is supposed to look like gold.

The coin does not look righteous to me. There is a long history of forging these coins re: Mark Hoffman who was a Mormon criminal in the 1980's committed murder to cover his forgeries. Hoffman also forged many documents (including the famous White Salamander Letter), coins, et cetera and sold them to diverse customers (including the Mormon Church) for megabucks. He is one of several criminals (mostly Mormon) that have produced forged morman coins and documents. Almost all of the coins out there are fakes and they all seem to be "found" in caves or mines. There are only a few authentic coins.

NGC is not going to steal your coins. They have certified coins worth more then yours, even if they are genuine.

How can anyone be sure that these are fake Mormon coins, when there were a set of them minted that were not gold at all? I guess i could send them into NGC and have them tell me., but i fear i will never see them again

If your fear is the Post Office, it's legitimate, but if it's NGC, it's not.

The coin you showed looks like a copy/forgery. If you want verification, then send them registered mail to NGC. You can get the details for doing this by joining the NGC Collector's Society. Just click on the link at the bottom of this web page and follow the ads.

Hoot

How can anyone be sure that these are fake Mormon coins, when there were a set of them minted that were not gold at all? I guess i could send them into NGC and have them tell me., but i fear i will never see them again

I'm not sure about a set that wasn't minted out of gold. However even if there was one they probably wouldn't look like yours. However if it would make you feel better your best bet would be ANACS for authentication.

The problem for submiting these to NGC would be the fact EACH coin would cost $125.00 so your total bill for grading fees would be $625.00 whether the coins are authentic or fake. ANACS would only cost $15.00 each.

Midwest: Speciality Gold submissions for (5) day service are $24.00 each, not $125.00. Besides, you can go to the Heritage.com site and see an 1849, $5 Mormon gold coin and it does not look like yours. There are letters on the obverse that are not on your copy.

Midwest: Speciality Gold submissions for (5) day service are $24.00 each, not $125.00.

That service is limited to gold coins valued under $1,000. Based on the value of these (were they real, which they are not), the Walk-Thru service level would have to be used and that costs $125 each.

From the image, your coin is not real. I have seen my fair share of Mormon gold. When minted, the coins were actually of lesser purity than US regular coinage due to improper alloy techniques of the day, so most of the Mormon coinage circulated within the SLC valley, or were accepted at much lower par outside the SLC valley due to the poor reputation of gold purity. The Rust family of SLC are considered experts in the Mormon gold field and have issued a book for $30 which has many pictures from which you can see for yourself and compare your coins to the originals. The dead giveaway for fake Mormon gold is the modern replicas are struck FAR BETTER than the contempory coins. During the last 5 years, a firm in Utah has manufactured copies which are sold on ebay and in shops in Salt Lake.

Like to Rust Coin:

http://www.rustcoin.com/book.htm

TRUTH

Sry about that, here is a better picture

959ed8a3.jpg

Letters are too blocky..... too close together.... wrong metals... details are off... look at the eye .... not correct.... not lined up properly... dots look wrong... you say that they used other metals... rims are the dead givaway... missing the extra line that is just inside the main rim.... but the same dies would be used... in this case... it look close... but not enough.. still very interesting pieces... and hold some value even as copies

still very interesting pieces... and hold some value even as copies

How much value do they hold exactly, and could i by anychance pass them off as being real?

you could... but that would make you a thief and a liar... which in the coinworld is lower than rats... and you would never get respect back.... I would say Worth $50.00 Max... but I could be wrong....

your coins are not real and their value is under 3 dollars each

"and could i by anychance pass them off as being real?"

i suppose you might pass them off as real to someone and have them pay you lots of $$$$ but you will need a gun and hostages

And if you pass them off as anything but fakes, you will rightly go to jail. You come across as inclined to commit Grand Larceny through deception. If that is the case, have fun in federal prison as the latest "boy toy" on the cell block.

I don't like Rust Coin in Salt Lake either. Their coins are always "high grade" and yours are junk. Plus they won't show you their better inventory unless you play a 20 questions game with them about what they have. Plus, they will never show you the better stuff unless you also are a card carrying Mormon. The junk is out front and seeing the good stuff is like pulling teeth. I stopped dealing with with their crappy, discriminary sales practices years ago. They pissed me off with their high handed tactics once too often.

I also sold some stamps to Rust and the guy had something unpleasant to denigate every stamp that I showed him. I had all original Panama Pacific, Other commens, Canadian Airmail and Panama canal special issues, plus american airmail. These we centered and nice color, uncancelled and XF. He knocked every stamp as a poor example and lowballed them. He was "doing me a favor" to buy them for a highly discounted price. Everytime someone does me a favor, I check that my wallet is still there and place my hand over my anal Sphinter.

I went back a week later and he was selling them as "prime examples" of rare issues at high prices. Screw him. I will never set foot in their store again.

sign-rantpost.gif