• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slab luv...is it hurting or helping the coin market/specific sellers/buyers?

4 posts in this topic

i see from tomb post on the 1831 quarter a high value coin

and to me a no brainer AT worked on coin!?!

maybe it is hindsight? not for me well i think so..........lol

anyway because a coin is is in a certian holder with A CERTAIN GRADE/BLESSING whatever you call it on the holder

does this make it more saleable or valuable?

and are we not looking at the coins?

do some coins in certain holders really worth lots just because of the plastic?

are any profiting from this perception?

are there some losers?

and who are they?

profit motivated buyers?

advanced collectors?

newbies?

collectors with clouded preceptions?

any thoughts?

are some profiting from this? are some losing from this?

are some just blind?

WHAT DO YOU THINK?????????????????

and more importantly are the buyers and holders of slabbed coins going to get hurt in the up and coming future???

and is this overall going to hurt the market??

i guess only time will tell

it will be an intracate web yet to be played out

i guess for me there are great coins raw in ngc in pcgs holders

also in other holders too

i GUESS OVERALL IT IS TO GET A COIN IN A PCGS NGC HOLDER THAT IS A BONUS cant hurt

AS LONG AS THE COIN IS ALL THERE AND is a great coin and you buy the coin not the holder

then i thinks you gots a good coin! for you and that is okie

lets say you got two great coins lets say monster toned and are same date and grade and series and both almost the same in terms of quality and eye appeal maybe

one is in lets say slab A holder the other in slab B holder

yet slab A holder sells for lots more sometime lots and lots more yet the B holder coin sells for less and is sometimes a better looking quality toned coin!!

will this change???? also i think the buyer of the a and b coins are buying good coins but i think the b coin buyer

gets the better deal hands down??

COMMENTS WHAT DO YOU THINK?

sincerely michael

laugh.gif What's a PR70 worth outside the plastic? What's almost all moderns worth outside the plastic? Hell, what's any borderline coin worth? Is it PQ the grade below or low-end the grade above? It's priced according to perception if raw. It's priced according to slabbed grade if certified, which is a little sad.

Even a nicely toned coin is worth more in the plastic. I mentioned just the other day of turning down (at the previous Long Beach) a coin because it was raw and the toning freaked me. The coin was being sold by Julian Leidman. The price was right. He and I agreed on the grade. I asked him his opinion on the toning and he "thought" it was real and so did I. Yet, I had NGC body bag a very similar looking coin as AT. I'm extremely comfortable buying raw coins. Yet, without the plastic I just wasn't willing to take the risk on this coin. The plastic is a nice insurance policy. If it were slabbed, it would be in my collection right now.

[AT coin in a slab]

and is this overall going to hurt the market??

i guess only time will tell

Possibly. It might hurt the toned market a little, but I think it is well known (to everyone except David Hall) that AT coins get into all the slabs. The only way the 'market' will be hurt is if this coin is sent back to PCG$ for regrade and they refuse to take it off the market (kind of like what they tried to do the first time with Legend's 1913-D Saint). Other than that, this is a minor blip on the radar.

lets say you got two great coins lets say monster toned and are same date and grade and series and both almost the same in terms of quality and eye appeal maybe

one is in lets say slab A holder the other in slab B holder

yet slab A holder sells for lots more sometime lots and lots more yet the B holder coin sells for less and is sometimes a better looking quality toned coin!!

will this change???? also i think the buyer of the a and b coins are buying good coins but i think the b coin buyer

gets the better deal hands down??

I think it has changed a bit recently with the PCG$ registry dying a little (while the NGC registry starts to take off) and the lessening confidence of them in the marketplace. However, over time both services go back and forth being the 'in' service. Right now, the nicer 'eye appealing' coins are going to NGC because of the star designation and the fact that there appears to be a grade cap at PCG$. The true monsters command strong prices in any slab. It's the 2nd tier monsters, if I can call them that, that can have differences in price. Still, I wouldn't worry about it.

anyway because a coin is is in a certian holder with A CERTAIN GRADE/BLESSING whatever you call it on the holder

does this make it more saleable or valuable?

It does indeed. We tend to overlook the value of a slab with respect to a guarantee of authenticity.

No question, like Greg said. His comment about ultra-grade moderns is a perfect example. It would be easy to know if someone is buying the coin, or the holder -- just tell them that if they buy the coin, you'll take $50 off the price but you insist on cracking it out first. If they still want it, they are buying the coin.

There a people who are new to collecting but have a decent amount of money to spend. They like the comfort of slabbed coins. But IMHO they don't fully understand the risks. That doesn't mean they necessarily will suffer for it, but it's a possibility.

One suggestion for new collectors that we don't emphasize enough is to sell coins and not just buy them. That's when you find out what your stuff is worth.

are there some losers?

and who are they?

profit motivated buyers?

advanced collectors?

newbies?

collectors with clouded preceptions?

It's hard to say if there are any losers. While paying huge premiums for one point higher in grade doesn't appeal to me, it's obvious other people don't have a problem with that. If that trend continues, people might not become "losers". Grading has become more and more nit-picky over a long period of time. If things start moving away from that trend, to where there are only a handful of people who fight over the monster grade coins, there could be losers.

A slab is a helpful tool for the market. But, like anything else, it is up to the individual to make a final determination before purchasing. People can be wrong sometimes. The professionals at the companies can be wrong. The people purchasing can be wrong. But the odds always favor the professional being right more often than the non-professional.

Slabs aren't going away. And there is no legitimate argument to force their removal from the marketplace.