• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scanning coins

19 posts in this topic

Hi all. I hope I'm in the right place for this type of question.

I have a Cannon scanner. When I scan a certified coin, the scanner focuses not on the coin, but on the edges of the holder. So, what I get is a very defined edge of plastic and a blurry coin. I had a HP scanner - cheaper and older than the Cannon, and it didn't seem to do this (it also didn't work with XP so I sold it).

OK, I know, check the settings. But newer scanners seem to be all too plug-and-play. There's really not much to set, other than scan and bit size. There's a setting for "magazines", "photos", "text", but none of these produce satisfactory results.

Any advice? This thing is all but useless for certified coins! (but works fine for raw).

Richard

Are there "sharpen" options on your software?

Try scanning on a really high resolution and see if that help. If it does, you can shrink them down later.

Go to the Cannon web site and search their support. I'm sure others have had this problem and there is an answer there.

That scan was taken at a whopping 1200dpi.

I suggest a low end HP scanner like a 3500C. It is also designed for "3d" and really works. I can scan slabbed coins and have absolutely PERFECT resolution even at low DPI. I did some tests and had objects a full 1/2 inch from the scanner bed and still crisp. My coins are in my bank's safe deposit box but will scan a couple of examples tomorrow. Bank is only a couple of blocks from work.

Dermott, yes, an LiDE 30. mad.gif

... and yes, I know, my low end HP was fine for slabs. Must have something to do with depth of field.

I hate getting the camera out for reference photos mad.gif

Oh, and if you find a solution, please let me know.

On a side note, the coin in my scan, looks more like a MS69, eh?

148545-imi.jpg.b086a3f3c2e9958685e04e1868831898.jpg

Oh, and if you find a solution, please let me know.

There really is no solution for this. Canon LIDE scanners can't scan 3D period frown.gif

I have heard that HP models (3500?) have a great depth of field.

This is some information I found on a site.

A scanner that uses a Charge-Coupled Device (CCD) sensor is preferable to one that uses a Contact Image Sensor (CIS). CCD scanners are better able to capture objects that are not directly on the scanner surface, such as coins in slabs.

http://www.telesphere.com/ts/coins/scanning.html

It is basically saying that CCD scanners can scan 3d.

Aaron

I use an old HP4200c. The most important thing is to prop the coin up to make a different angle to reflect the light on toned coins & white MS silver. On Proofs they seem to look better laying flat. A pencil is about the right hight for a prop. Sometimes you have to prop the top, the right or left side. Sometimes you have to turn the coin sideways on the scanner bed then prop it. Sometimes you have to use the middle or the edge of the scanner bed. Each & every coin scans differently. I made these pictures with my HP: Toned Morgans The coin pretty much look like this in real life. I used no editing software, these are unaltered straight off the scanner other than cropping out excess slab area.

I use these setting for my HP maybe they will help you, maybe not:

SETTINGS:

Scan In Color

Output Type (I use Best Color Photograph 16.7 million colors)

Output size (I use Scale size by a percentage-the Morgs I posted were 300%)

Resolution (I use Set A Custom Resolution. 100dpi. Check the box that says Take Extra Time To Scan For Higher Resolution Values. This makes it scan twice. No need to use higher than 100 dpi. More dpi makes a bigger file size, not necessarily a better pict. The Morgs I posted are 100 dpi.)

Sharpen Details In Photos

I use the scan for email mode which makes a small file of aprox 40kb.

Before I got my digital camera, I had a Canon lide scanner. It absolutely sucked for anything 3d, only worked for scanning flat stuff. They are the worst possible scanners. HP scanners work good for 3d.

Thanks for the help with this. Yes, the Canon will never work.

Now, about the HP, I said earlier that I used to have an HP and it worked ok -- check ot the attached file. It's from a cheap $79 HP. And it's only a 44KB image. Not great, but fine for reference.

166183-BH-1835-rev.jpg.61ec9f59ce29c2f6e6fb264f84007f89.jpg

Most of the images on my web site are taken with a Visioneer 8100 scanner. This cost $99 and works very well. Of course, to capture luster I have to use film, however, the scanner is quick and works fairly well.