• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phillip Morse Collection

17 posts in this topic

I just received my catalog from Heritage yesterday for the Phillip Morse collection of Saint-Gaudens gold coins, and man was that impressive! His duplicates would put most collections in the registry to shame. He had not one but 4 1921 Saints! and the 27-D was spectacular! The catalog is very well done, the photos are excellent, and the information on each issue was great. For anyone that collects either Saint-Gaudens series or are just interested in them, this catalog would be a great addition to your library. I know mine will go right next to my Akers book!

Now that I stopped Heritage from sending me all their stupid overweight catalogs of crappy coins they finally put out one worth keeping. Figures... foreheadslap.gif

jom

nothing impressed me in the saints platinum cat as i do not collect them or know anything about them and they have no story or coin coolness for me other than as a type coin for a specific year or so many coins with mostly emphansis on marketing and planned investment for a short well planned profit and exit strategy and this is not good or bad just does not do anything for me at all

the rest of the platinum auction coins for the most part where unimpressive to me i expected for such an extra special sale extra special coins and this was just not so

maybe 25% or less where what i call extra special good opportunity coins with great history and coolness factor let alone good values

abet well done thumbsup2.gif catalogue wise 893applaud-thumb.gif presentation wise thumbsup2.gif and photo wise cloud9.gif

i do not collect them or know anything about them

I received my catalogue today, too. And although the part of Michael's post that I quoted is also true for me, I really liked the catalogue because it taught me something about the coins (other than the fact that they're out of my league). Interesting reading and attractive presentation. Any guesses on the total auction value of the collection?

i do not collect them or know anything about them

I received my catalogue today, too. And although the part of Michael's post that I quoted is also true for me, I really liked the catalogue because it taught me something about the coins (other than the fact that they're out of my league). Interesting reading and attractive presentation. Any guesses on the total auction value of the collection?

I suppose I could understand these sentiments if you don't collect this series, but if you do, I don't know how you could not be excited for the 27-D. That coin is such a supreme rarity, at least as rare as the 33 now that another 10 coins have turned up. I don't know the exact timeframes, but you see a 27-D come up for sale about once a decade, and it's always an exciting event! This particular coin is spectacular, and likely one of the best. I looked on the website thinking I could put in a low bid just so I could say I bid on it, but it was already up to $900K. My guess is that coin will hit at least $2 million, and probably a lot more. As for the whole set, maybe I'll try to total it tomorrow if it's rainy. There are a lot of 6-figure coins in that collection. Add to that all the matte proofs and the Roman finish proofs, that collection would probably be like a nice lotto jackpot!

Jeff, I think that if someone has $30K for a high relief Saint, they will do well. IMHO, even the more mundane Saints have some upside still. I just bought a MS65, NGC, 1916-S Saint this week because I believe (as I think you do) that it has potential.

I suppose I could understand these sentiments if you don't collect this series, but if you do, I don't know how you could not be excited for the 27-D. That coin is such a supreme rarity, at least as rare as the 33 now that another 10 coins have turned up. I don't know the exact timeframes, but you see a 27-D come up for sale about once a decade, and it's always an exciting event! This particular coin is spectacular, and likely one of the best. I looked on the website thinking I could put in a low bid just so I could say I bid on it, but it was already up to $900K. My guess is that coin will hit at least $2 million, and probably a lot more. As for the whole set, maybe I'll try to total it tomorrow if it's rainy. There are a lot of 6-figure coins in that collection. Add to that all the matte proofs and the Roman finish proofs, that collection would probably be like a nice lotto jackpot!

I got to see that coin out of the case at the ANA in San Francisco. It was nice. I could never afford something like that, but it's nice to take a look at them when it's available for viewing at a show. I also saw the "Dallas Bank" specimen at the June Long Beach show which was being sold privately. I thought that coin had nicer color and eye appeal. Personally, I thought the contact marks were better hidden on that piece than the Morse specimen, although that was an MS66 and the Morse specimen is MS67. I heard someone mention that the Morse coin was in an NGC67 holder at one time and got crossed to a PCGS holder. There was a 'hit' on this coin right on her abdomen that the photo sort of toned down which I didn't like for an MS67 coin.

I think going to Palm Beach to see this auction go down is worth the price of admission (in my case airfare and hotel). I think since there's going to be so many high end saints, one may be able to slide into a higher end, better date example which falls under the radar of the high end bidders, at a better price even with the "juice". Yep, I think I'll go just to see it go down as well as try to maybe get a "table scrap" or two. Nothing like winning a "precision-cut bid". grin.gif

I agree with you on the 16-S Charlie, though the price has moved quite a bit since I bought mine. Just 3 or 4 years ago you could buy a nice MS-65 16-S for a hundred or two more than a 15-S if you could find the 16-S! Now that spread has widened a lot, but I still consider the 16-S to be a better date lumped with the commons.

As for bargains at the Morse sale, I wish you luck. You might find some nice bargains, but my guess is that more people will be looking for the cheaper coin just so they can have one from the colllection (and it likely won't be long before the services will pedigree them from the Morse collection, like the other pedigreed coins).

As for bargains at the Morse sale, I wish you luck. You might find some nice bargains, but my guess is that more people will be looking for the cheaper coin just so they can have one from the colllection (and it likely won't be long before the services will pedigree them from the Morse collection, like the other pedigreed coins).

Thanks, I'm gonna need it. I have to agree with you as more people will be looking for the lower priced items just to have one from the "Morse Collection". Unfortunately, all too often, it's been bid up too far even before the floor session event starts. frown.gif

My hope is, with soooo many coins in his collection, there may be one with the right combination of value, looks, scarcity, and of course, fits sanely in the pocketbook! 893whatthe.gif For that, you have to attend lot viewing and the sale. I certainly won't overpay for the common stuff with "no eye appeal" to it. I really love Saints that have that two-tone radiant toned centers eminating fron the central device. Morse's collection, when viewed in person, has a lot of coins (even in the common dates in 66) which have "that" very look to it. Ahhh. . . Toned Gold. . . Almost as good as a pretty cameo'd pre-1900 gold proof! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I really love Saints that have that two-tone radiant toned centers eminating fron the central device. Morse's collection, when viewed in person, has a lot of coins (even in the common dates in 66) which have "that" very look to it. Ahhh. . . Toned Gold. . . Almost as good as a pretty cameo'd pre-1900 gold proof! 893applaud-thumb.gif

That usually means the coins haven't been dipped. I bought a 12-P Eagle at the last Long Beach show that had that original "toned" look to it and one dealer told me that many people don't like that look. 893whatthe.gif I was a bit shocked to say the least but it what he says is true it's no wonder you see so many dipped out gold pieces. I thought my 12-P was outrageous but I guess some don't like that so what do I know.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

jom

Jom: When I started my Saint set many years ago, it was the emanating gold, pink and even green toning that convinced me those particular coins had not been messed with. You can not "make" that look. I really prefer Saints with that toning.

gold saints threes and ones and other gold coinage have great toning like that due to improper alloy mixture and is quite extremely beautiful and rare but since most all collectors of such coins have not seen many and do not know much about it they fear it and are afraid of it hence shy away from it

as toning beautiful toning is not seen as much on gold as compaired to silver and copper

one of the last undervalued frontiers of numismatics

Improper alloy mixture and poorly controlled planchet manufacturing. Modern gold coin manufacturing has tight process controls and will never have the toning of earlier gold coins. I agree that the old coin toning is unique, beautiful and WAY underappreciated, Michael.

I am awaiting arrival of my newps '16-S, MS65, Saint.

I'll be the first to admit that after I'd seen the first 25 coins or so, the all started looking the same.... I can appreciate the effort that went into this collection (and the cataloging), but honestly, there's not a single coin in there that I could even dream of buying.

James