• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another double eagle rolling in

13 posts in this topic

I love these things. I was stupid for selling some a few years ago to help buy my car... Oh well, making it up now. It's in a PCGS 63 holder of about 10 years ago but I think it would upgrade now.

1928-DoubleEagle-Obv.jpg

1928-DoubleEagle-Rev.jpg

A very pretty example Neil, and a solid 63. As for upgrading, the 1928 is extremely difficult to upgrade as there are so many examples, and they are often quite beautiful in terms of grade, strike and overall eye appeal. Judging from the photos it doesn't seem quite as nice as a 64, but still a great coin. The reverse is nicer than the obverse with just a few surface contact marks, but the obverse has some chatter up at the top and some slight suface rub on Liberty's torso and leg, which in my experience would prevent it from being a 64 (now if this was a 22-S or 24-S, it would probably be a 65!). I have a similar situation with a 1926 in an old PCGS rattler, but I know there is no chance of upgrading to a 65, so it remains in the old holder. headbang.gif

Interesting. I knew that the 1928 comes nice overall but didn't realize how the standards would apply to it. I was thinking when I saw it that it might upgrade. I guess the flash of gold will do that to a fella.

Just remember, with these last two Saints, you are over 3% of the way to a complete set! I'm warning you, be carful with these things, they are very addictive! takeit.gif

Just remember, with these last two Saints, you are over 3% of the way to a complete set! I'm warning you, be carful with these things, they are very addictive! takeit.gif
I know, nothing like big gold! lol

I love these things. I was stupid for selling some a few years ago to help buy my car... Oh well, making it up now. It's in a PCGS 63 holder of about 10 years ago but I think it would upgrade now.

1928-DoubleEagle-Obv.jpg

1928-DoubleEagle-Rev.jpg

She's a beauty! thumbsup2.gif

saints are a series that i do not know at all

but when i first saw this coin i thought

no rub tremendous incredible eye appeal and a high end ms64 to boot with many gem qualities about this your pcgs ms63 coin nwcs

saints are a series that i do not know at all

but when i first saw this coin i thought

no rub tremendous incredible eye appeal and a high end ms64 to boot with many gem qualities about this your pcgs ms63 coin nwcs

Ditto! laugh.gif

Hoot

10-DSaint.jpg

Shown is a 1910-D, MS63, NGC Saint for comparison purposes. My scan is not nearly as good as your picture. However, please note that this '10-D Saint also has a full nose and some chatter on the lower left leg with no rub. Other than that, it has only minor luster breaks. Judge for your self, but I tend to agree with Jeff that your 1928-P is a MS63. The 1910-D is also another "common date" Saint which makes upgrading more difficult.