• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Aren't Any Early Half Dollar Sets One-Per-Year?

3 posts in this topic

All the early half dollar sets contain numerous die varieties in them. Why are there no sets without varieties? Does NGC believe that there are no early half dollar collectors who could possibly enjoy the coins without concentrating on varieties? I just find it amazing that the early half dollar sets have three slots for the 1795 halves, two for the 1796 halves, two for the 1803 halves, two for the 1805 halves and seven for the 1806 halves. These coins are not exactly inexpensive, nor are they plentiful. In my opinion, you would encourage greater participation if all the early half dollar sets had a one-per-year option set instead of all-inclusive variety sets only. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I have always been somewhat intimidated by the varieties and specialities of the early half sets. So I also would favor a year registry set like those used for some of the gold issues.