• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Searching for a few MS70 Modern Commemoratives

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm new to the NGC forums although I've been rattling around at PCGS for a while. I'll shortly be listing my first NGC Registry Set, in preparation for which I'm trying to fill a few holes. On the Marketplace forum I have just now posted a short list of MS70 modern commemoratives that I'm hunting for, both NGC and PCGS slabs. If you have any you might part with, please check my list to see if yours are among the ones I need.

Not knowing whether or not you frown on posting coins-wanted on the Registry forum, I chose not to repeat my list in this post.

Should you have any on my list and would consider selling, please PM or email me with your asking price.

Thanks and best regards, smile.gif

Dell

bowena@stargate.net

Keith,

The coins I am looking for in PCGS-70 only are those that I still need for my PCGS Registry set (which, as you know, won't take NGC coins)--and I already own those particular coins in NCG-70. The ones I would buy in either NCG or PCGS holders are those I still lack in MS70 from EITHER service--if I find one in NGC-70 it'll go in the NGC Registry set, while a PCGS-70 coin will go in both sets.

I have not yet entered a set in the NGC Registry, but intend to do so within the next couple of weeks.

TGilliam,

Thank you, I'll email you shortly.

Dell

BowAxe, doesn't it seem odd to you that you have duplicate coins just so you can have a registry over there and also one here (in the near future)? Maybe I read what you wrote incorrectly?

Greg,

I think you misunderstood--I have almost no duplicates. Most of the coins that will be in my NGC set will be the same PCGS slabs that are now in my PCGS set. The NGC-70 coins will occupy slots for which I don't have PCGS-70's.

The reason most of my coins are in PCGS slabs is that when I decided in 1993--just for the challenge and fun of it--to attempt to collect a complete set of certified MS70 modern commemoratives, I considered PCGS the premier grading service. The premium still being accorded PCGS slabs in the marketplace suggests that that perception, right or wrong, persists in many quarters. Nevertheless, having begun a PCGS-70 collection four years before the Registry came into being, I will continue working to complete my PCGS set for as long as PCGS sees fit to remain exclusive. Should I acquire a PCGS-70 coin for a slot in my NGC Registry Set which is currently occupied by an NGC-70, I will substitute the PCGS for the NGC and sell the NGC, thereby avoiding duplications in my collection.

That's as straightforward as I can be. Where this issue of grading service "preeminence" is headed in the future is anyone's guess. Aside from the natural desire to see my slabbed coins retain their value (or better yet, appreciate), I have no vested interest in either grading service. If, in the long run, as some are predicting, PCGS is found to have shot itself in the foot, c'est la vie!

Dell cool.gif