• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MONSTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

42 posts in this topic

There are two Board members who own wonderfully toned Washington-Carvers, I know, they bought them from me. Wonderful pieces that I hope they share.

Here are the two GWCs that TomB is talking about.

52wc66.jpg52wc66r.jpg

53swc65.jpg53swc65r.jpg

The top one is a 1952 and is graded MS66 by NGC. It is owned by Higashiyama (I'm sure he won't mind me saying this, since he has mentioned this in the past).

The bottom coin is a 1953-S and is graded MS65 by NGC. It was graded MS64 when it was purchased from TomB. I own the coin. I will answer the 3 most "popular" questions I get about this coin.

1) Is the picture accurate? No, it is better in person. shocked.gif

2) What are the "spots" on the reverse? Water spots I have been told. They are what keep this coin from being a multi-thousand dollar coin. It's still a monster.

3) Is it for sale? No, but I'll never turn down stupid money for any of my coins.

I'm still holding out hope that TomB has a few other commems hidden in his home that he'll want to sell to me in the near future. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Greg,

Those are two wonderful WC's! And I think yours is beautiful, even with the water spots! As far as Tom having any other commem’s like those for sale in the future, I think it only fair that he offer them to me first, as you have already had the chance to indulge. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

John

Ahhhhhhhhhh. Thank you for posting them again. It makes me feel good to see them. smile.gif If I remember correctly, Greg, I sold you that WC at my cost or just over, enough to cover postage. They are both nice coins.

Somehow, I seem to attract undergraded coins with nice toning. Currently, I only own three commems; a white Connecticut PCGS MS65 with thick, crunchy vanilla patina on the reverse and a blast white obverse, a wonderfully toned Maine PCGS MS64 with deep, navy blue bullseye toning on both obverse and reverse and a Columbian PCGS MS64 with exceptionally clean surfaces and a great crescent of blue and gold on the reverse. The Columbian is at least MS65.

147144-92COLUMBIANPCGS64R.jpg.ccc96f1a9d24814bda45514f35b6ca0a.jpg

TomB, I believe you did tell me that you were selling it to me at your cost. At the time I contacted you about it, I was a "little bit" out of touch with pricing on nicely toned coins, since I was really getting back into the buying side of the hobby after a having taken a break, not to mention that much of my previous experience was with moderns and errors/varieties.

After showing it to a few people (who all wanted to buy it from me), I became well aware of the deal you gave me. It is not forgotten and some day I'm sure I'll have a coin you are interested in and I will pay you back for your kindness. I believe in paying back people who give you good deals.

As for it being undergraded, I fully remember you saying that it was an MS65 before I purchased it. The second I saw it I thought it was undergraded. I think the toning scared NGC the first time and that is why they "downgraded" it to MS64. NGC upgraded it on the first try using the regrade service.

I have seen another that looks very much like it, graded MS66 by NGC, and it sold for quite a bit. I was in the bidding for it and put in a strong bid and I was road kill. smile.gif

Now, about that Maine you have. I just sold my rainbow reverse toned NGC AU58 and I am in the market for a "wonderfully toned Maine with deep, navy blue bullseye toning on both obverse and reverse". And I very well might be in the market for a "Columbian with exceptionally clean surfaces and a great crescent of blue and gold on the reverse" especially if it is an 1893.

Where are the pictures? And feel free to email them so no other potential buyers..er..umm..just email them. wink.gif

Here is the reverse of my 1958-D NGC MS66 Washington Quarter. This coin is flawless, with no bagmarks or any abrasions visible to the unaided eye. Great luster and awesome toning also enhance it. The coin appears to be clearly undergraded, and I will be sending it in for regrade. There is nothing holding it back from MS67!

147812-1958Dr66.jpg.dfff94b6717ca5a7064f4269ab6d9f86.jpg

Greg -- thanks for posting those Washington-Carvers! Unfortunately, mine is in a safe deposit box 5000 miles away, so I only see it a few times a year, and I appreciate a chance to see the image.

Appropriate vivid pastels for this time of year.