• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MONSTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

42 posts in this topic

Carl is that Trade dollar cameo? Nice coin! Heres a new pattern I just picked up from Rick Kay. The image doesn't come close to showing the great color on this coin but you get the general idea.

589a8adda0117_145647-Judd1513.jpg.f504c64c22ba2a3b0420c8e05623b736.jpg

Boiler78: I sure do get the idea! That is an awesome, Monster with a capital M, coin! I love the color. The eagle looks like he is standing up and is ready for a fight.

My trade dollar is indeed cameo. I love cameo proofs and also like the champagne toning.

I'll attach my twenty cent piece. I think it should be cameo but either it is not as frosty as I think it is or the heavy toning kept it from getting the designation.

Keep 'em coming gang! We are off to a great start here with the images so far...

145675-1878TwentyObv.jpg.c8e13dcdc3c6ec41cbfdf86e3170d29d.jpg

Barry,

There's no choice to be made. They're BOTH monsters! Incredibly clean obverses and a super strike on the 1921. Thanks for sharing.

Beijim

all sweet coins

with expecially great eye appeal to 1877 morgan half is superb

the trade has deep mirrors and cameoed

are an early date also

Nice coins, everyone! laugh.gif In following Russ' image of the Wheat cent I will also add a Wheat cent. Mine is a matte proof.

Russ, is the coin you have pictured a proof? I ask because the quality of toning is similar to what is seen on some proof Lincoln cents.

146111-a.jpg.7c3cc150e4cee2b4986890db2845f706.jpg

Here is an '83 Shield. Not as bright, but a monster none the less. The squigly white line at 8:00 is a Persian cat hair, not a scratch. The line at 10:00 is a die crack.

146606-1883ShieldNick.jpg.82af3e4c55e29eecf8952cddda2e3ef0.jpg

Tom,

Nope, not a proof. It's a '39-D. It was one of those $6, what the heck coin show purchases. Here's the obverse:

39dtonedcent_l.jpg

I don't know if it's the real deal, but I'm going to find out since it'll be on my next NGC submission.

Russ, NCNE

Greg- Like I said its unusual wink.gif Actually the coin really is round but I believe it stretched a bit on my scanner when I tilted it to show the proof fields. blush.gif Try to imagine the coin as round. laugh.gif

Mark

Could you give me a little info on it? What rarity is it (R5, R8, etc). What is it made of? Any idea of value?

I love patterns, but they are just too hard to buy/sell and the prices are frequently out of my range. I'd rather had 10 nice coins than one pattern where people give me a funny look when I show it to them. grin.gif

That Long Island commem that Higashiyama owns is a true monster! I owned that coin for a while and always enjoyed looking at it. I thought for a moment that Higashiyama was going to post the Washington-Carver. That's also a heck of a coin.

The gold posted by Oldtrader3 has some superb surfaces! That is the look of original, undipped, undisturbed gold. I wish I owned some like that. smile.gif

And I can't leave out a BTW. It's only a MS-65, But it is one of the nicest toned BTW's I have ever seen. Believe me this coin looks much better in person! This is the obverse

589a8addbee30_146950-1946btwobv.jpg.7311f3f5db0dc040d5894875963128fc.jpg

Beautiful coins, Wihlborg. smile.gif The BTW looks too clean on the reverse to be an MS65, is that a rather prominent scratch across the portrait of the obverse? If so, I think we know why it's graded MS65.

There are two Board members who own wonderfully toned Washington-Carvers, I know, they bought them from me. Wonderful pieces that I hope they share.

Hi Tom,

The reverse is a no question PQ MS-66. The mark you refer to on the obverse is not a scratch; it is just some dots of graininess with a small line of darker puple tone at the end. It does look like a scratch in the photo though. I think what kept it out of a MS-66 holder are four or five very light reed marks above E. PLURIBUS URUM.

I hope they share those WC’s also, as you know I love those early commems. grin.gif

John