• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Two New Thalers from Gmarguli

22 posts in this topic

I met Greg today at a local shop and he brought along a box of stuff that he had grown tired of but thought I might like. I pulled these two out of his box:

2750177-076.jpg

2750116-083.jpg

Both of these fit nicely into my collection.

The upper one is from Salzburg but one without an example (unitl now) in my collection. I like the archbishopb's titles: "Archbishop and Prince of Salzburg, Legate of the Apostolic See, born Primate of Germany". A deeply toned coin with some hints of blue green color, with a touch of wear and some strike weakness. As an added plus this date is unlisted in the catalog.

The lower features my good friend Archduke Leopold as count of Tyrol. I'm actively collecting thalers of all the Hapsburg archdukes and already had a Leopold. However, since they come in two main types with either a 3/4 standing form or just a bust why not have one of each. Again it's deeply toned, with some hints of attractive colors in orange on the obverse and yellow-green on the reverse. Light wear on the highpoints doesn't distract from the attractiveness.

Comments are welcome and thanks to Greg for cutting me a very fair deal!

No replies at all. frown.gif

Oh well, I'll do it myself.

Gee, JamminJ, those are neat thalers, are they hard to find like that?

Gee, JamminJ, those are neat thalers are they hard to find like that?

Thanks! Not really, both of these are fairly common types. You can find many, many thalers all the way back to the late 1500s for a couple of hundred dollars in nice lightly circulated grades. Of coarse, there are also plenty of thalers that will go far higher, as will the more common ones in choice unc or or better levels of presevation.

Thanks for asking!

Gee, JamminJ, those are neat thalers are they hard to find like that?

Thanks! Not really, both of these are fairly common types. You can find many, many thalers all the way back to the late 1500s for a couple of hundred dollars in nice lightly circulated grades. Of coarse, there are also plenty of thalers that will go far higher, as will the more common ones in choice unc or or better levels of presevation.

Thanks for asking!

Thanks for sharing them JJ! Since you've been a member almost 3 years, you should know by now that very few people hang around here on the weekends.

Chris

You do realize is it a 3-day weekend and many people might not be around.

Don't taunt me with that logic mumbo jumbo. insane.gif

Not many people get Columbus Day or whatever it is tomorrow, off. Nice thalers, Jammin.

Not many people get Columbus Day or whatever it is tomorrow, off. Nice thalers, Jammin.

Thanks TJ! I'll also be slaving away tomorrow, just like any other Monday.

Thanks TJ! I'll also be slaving away tomorrow, just like any other Monday.

Yes, yes, tomorrow is just another working day for me as well. Indeed, i didn't know it was supposed to be a holiday until late Friday afternoon.

I think that most holidays should not be imposed on the general populace. I dislike them immensely.

Now, as for your new coins, JamminJ, I find them quite interesting and curious (as I do most thalers). So darn many rulers and often so darn many attempts to capture their effigies on the coins of the times. And an interest in history can fuel the fire for collecting these funny pieces. Great coins, the lot.

Congrats.

Hoot

• Administrator

I really like the historical perspective you bring to your coins. It adds depth to the whole process.

You engineers and your logic. Sheesh. confused-smiley-013.gif

The top taler is a cool souvenir of Maestro Mozart's time. It even has a picture of his boss on it! cloud9.gif

yeahok.gif Hey, if you ever tire of them, I'll give you $225 for the pair.

yeahok.gif Hey, if you ever tire of them, I'll give you $225 for the pair.

Only a 120% profit margin? You're slipping.

I really like the historical perspective you bring to your coins. It adds depth to the whole process.

Thanks, the historical angle is probably my number one reason for collecting coins. Even before rediscovering the hobby I was an avid reader of history. I git started on my current Holy Roman Empire fixation after reading a book on the 30 Years War. Thinking "I gots to get me a Ferdinand II!" led immediately to a coin addiction. The whole empireis such a rich tapestry of states, rulers and adversaries I will likely spend a long time with this theme.

Thanks, the historical angle is probably my number one reason for collecting coins. Even before rediscovering the hobby I was an avid reader of history. I git started on my current Holy Roman Empire fixation after reading a book on the 30 Years War. Thinking "I gots to get me a Ferdinand II!" led immediately to a coin addiction. The whole empireis such a rich tapestry of states, rulers and adversaries I will likely spend a long time with this theme.

I read a lot about Jean Calvin, but I'll never find a coin with his picture on it (unless Liberia or Marshall Islands start a Reformers series). I guess Calvin wasn't into that sort of thing.

I read a lot about Jean Calvin, but I'll never find a coin with his picture on it (unless Liberia or Marshall Islands start a Reformers series). I guess Calvin wasn't into that sort of thing.

"John Calvin, born Jean Calvin, founder of the Calvinist strain of Protestantism."

I let you off this time.

A stern man, Calvin was. You can get an Oliver Cromwell, I think he and Calvin had similar outlooks on life and facial expressions.

"John Calvin, born Jean Calvin, founder of the Calvinist strain of Protestantism."

I let you off this time.

A stern man, TJ was. You'll probably never find a coin with his picture either. confused-smiley-013.gif

I let you off this time.

A stern man, TJ was. You'll probably never find a coin with his picture either. confused-smiley-013.gif

I bet someone probably said "You'll never find a coin in the shape of a guitar", but along came the Somali Republic and now we have several to choose from. And they're colorized too! cloud9.gif

I let you off this time.

I bet someone probably said "You'll never find a coin in the shape of a guitar", but along came the Somali Republic and now we have several to choose from. And they're colorized too! cloud9.gif

Shiroh did leave open the option of Calvin coins being issued by odd ball African countries. Since the guitars are from Somolia that would fit the bill.

My Frederic Chopin French Commemorative Euro will be arriving around Christmas... cloud9.gif

I visited his grave you know.

My Frederic Chopin French Commemorative Euro will be arriving around Christmas... cloud9.gif

I visited his grave you know.

They're burying French commemorative Euros already?! 893whatthe.gif

I guess they don't figure the coins will be all that popular.