• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 1912 Barber half is back from NGC!

13 posts in this topic

This is a coin I bought raw years ago. I finally got around to sending it in to NGC and it came back as a MS-61. I sent it in on the economy tier and it took 40 days from the day I mailed it out to receive it back. I don’t think that’s too bad.

589a8adba8914_144205-191250c.jpg.85f1abec8c7346ba56c9aba8accc6fcb.jpg

Thanks Hoot!

It really is a nice coin. It has blazing cartwheel luster and the reverse is MS-63 easily. The obverse would be as nice except for a good number of very light contact marks. I bought this coin years ago in a small coin shop for $200. I think I got a pretty good deal! smile.gif

John

I love nice white unc Barbers! And that one is a BEAUTY! Nice strike too judging from the photos! Thanks for sharing it!

I love your coin, and part of the appeal to me is that I can clearly see the inverted eagle's wing tips in the obverse luster, and I can see the inverted outline of the bust in the reverse luster. That speaks volumes about how the coin would look in hand. grin.gif

See if this looks about right!

Don, I never noticed the effect in the luster until you brought it up. That’s wild!

Tom, if it were not for the amount of small scruff marks on the obverse I think it would have made MS-63. It is almost as if the coin was in a bag with the reverse protected by something while the obverse had contact with other coins. The marks are very light through and luckily do not distract from the eye appeal.

Thanks for all the kind words guys! smile.gif

John

That is quite interesting, I just made a 63 myself and it has the same thing(luster shape of its reverse). Learn something new each day.. Are the LW halfs the same kind of thing?

It is a bi-product of metal flow to fill the die cavities, and some coins (particularly ones with large deep devices) are more prone to the phenomenon than others. Lincoln wheats are notorious and seem to barely have enough metal to strike the obverse portrait. Once you've become aware of it, you can't help but see it. I always like finding the effect, as I believe it is an indicator of originality.

Here is another more modern example.

Thanks Don, your right, it seems a lot of coins have that and I too can't help but notice the effect. Good example on the Jeff, very noticable if ya know what to look for.