• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A newp, sort of (ED)

20 posts in this topic

I bought this coin from the Goldberg sale of the San Marino collection, but had to slowly pay it off. I just got the coin today:

BB-185_EF.JPG

This is BB-185, a Rarity-7 die marriage. This coin is probably the 2nd finest extant.

EVP

I didn't take the pics myself. I downloaded the pics from the Goldberg site. But, I think I do take good pictures (despite my lack of proper lighting).

EVP

The obverse is very nice, but I am not so enamoured with the reverse. A very nice coin though EVP! (as if I expected you to show off anything less)

Thanks, guys. The wait was excruciating for the most part. After I made my final payment, I just forgot about it. (I am too busy these days with moving and getting ready to start a new job in a new career. Wish me luck!) Getting it today was pretty much a surprise for me.

EVP

You can't tell from the image, but it is possible that this coin had been very lightly wiped a long time ago. Nevertheless, on the originality scale, I'd rank this as well above average for this issue.

As you *should* expect from an EF specimen, this coin retain minute traces of luster in protected areas. Personally, I would grade this a very ChVF (VF35) coin that happens to be very well struck.

Why?

Look closely at the coin. You will notice the hallmark central design details (except for the very central portion) that you'd expect to see in an EF coin. The top of her head, the drapery and the lower curls are all well defined.

Yet, if you look at the peripheral stars, you will notice the obvious wear that coexists with the detail. I don't find this a solid EF coin, even though it's graded EF40. Also, I expect more luster from an EF specimen.

EVP

Nice coin EVP. The slightly off-center strike is interesting. Finding an original, no problem R.7 variety (4-12 known) is quite an accomplishment.

Bill

Interesting ED. I have always liked Bust dollars. I think all "old" coins have been cleaned at some point in time, though. It doesn't bother the grading servicies. The last classic gold I purchased looked like it had an old cleaning but it was still slabed.

I can use that coin, now that you finally got it and would be happy to pay at least.........., seriously though, a very nice acquisition. I hope that you will be happy with it. Finally, something makes you happy!!! smile.gifsmile.gif

Very pretty coin EVP. I have looked at many of your pics now, and this dollar seems to have a bit of mystery that others do not. Can't put my finger on it (although I'm sure PCGS would if they had the chance ooo.gif ), but the coin has a special quality about it. Thanks for sharing.

TDN's right - but his icon looks like a B&W drawing! blush.giflaugh.gif

Hoot

Don,

I wasn't searching for this variety per se. Rather, I am always searching for R.6+ varieties... When Jim Matthews sold off his collection, I was very excited (to say the least!).

Coin-beast,

Yes, the EVP seal of approval is very hard to obtain! smile.gif

EVP