• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Long Beach Purchases Today; Updated w/ Coins!

23 posts in this topic

Three things on note, all of them books:

book1.jpg

book2.jpg

book3.jpg

I have an interest in ancients, particularly Roman and Byzantine as you may have guessed. However, sine I have no real knowledge of the perhaps these books will help provide me with enough knowlege to pick up a few better ones.

I promise to but at least one coin when I return to the show Saturday. tongue.gif

You're starting off on the wrong foot. Knowledge will get you nowhere in coin collecting. Whoever has the highest attributed grades for his coins wins.

I'm going to use them to help cherry pick rare die varieties before having ICG slab them. thumbsup2.gif

You're starting off on the wrong foot. Knowledge will get you nowhere in coin collecting. Whoever has the highest attributed grades for his coins wins.

I'm going to use them to help cherry pick rare die varieties before having ICG slab them. thumbsup2.gif

See if you can collect Tiberias denari by die variety.

See if you can collect Tiberias denari by die variety.

cloud9.gif

My Long Beach Purchases Today

JJ, I'm very disappointed, you sabotaged my new "How was Long Beach?" thread that I was intending to post. sumo.gif

I will obviously expect an apology coin for this, preferrably a freakishly toned one from Long Beach. smile.gif

OK, I'm back from the show and this time I have two new coins for my collections.

As I was wandering up to the convention center my thoughts were about two major options for today's purchase. The first option was a double thaler from Eichstadt, a nice familty tree design in choice AU. Very dramatic to look at. The second options was to pick up two coins, one a pleasingly circulated wildman thaler and the other a portrait thaler of Charles V. However, when I arrived the show the double thaler had already sold. So after a quick final walk of the floor to make sure there wasn't anything I simply had to own the two thalers were purchased.

Here's the first one:

wildman.jpg

It's a thaler from Brunswick-Wolfebutel featuing the popular wildman design. The legends are tripled. This doesn't really fit with any of the sets I'm actively trying to collect, but it just had such a pleasing, evenly circulated and unmolested look it won my heart. I kicked the tires on this one at the last show and was glad it was still in inventory.

The second one:

charlesv.jpg

Another thaler I kicked the tires on in a local shop for a bit, it's a daalder of the Dutch free city of Nijmegan. Undates but struck circa 1555 towards the end of Charles' reign. This one fits nicely into the first slot on my run of Holy Roman Emperors. Charles is a tougher emperoro as while he ruled for a long time he didn't have many thalers struck directly in his own name. Most of the ones featuring his portrait are from various free cities of the empire and have the city arms on the reverse. This one has hte imperial eagle so I was pretty happy to get it. Again it's evenly circulated and problem free except for a bit ofplanchet cracking on the obverse.

Overall a great show for me, three good books and two good coins. thumbsup2.gif

I will obviously expect an apology coin for this, preferrably a freakishly toned one from Long Beach. smile.gif

There might just be a toned coin or two in the shopping bag of stuff that I bought for resale. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

J, how was the Phils action? Pick up any nice ones for Filam Coins? smile.gif

I didn't see any really spectacular US Philipines coins, but did pick up a few gem silver coins (mostly common) and a couple of early coppers.

I didn't see any really spectacular US Philipines coins, but did pick up a few gem silver coins (mostly common) and a couple of early coppers.

There was one dealer there with dozens of slabbed gems (mainly proofs). He always has them in his case and last time I asked - which was quite a while ago - his prices were high.

There was one dealer there with dozens of slabbed gems (mainly proofs). He always has them in his case and last time I asked - which was quite a while ago - his prices were high.

Missed him entirely. confused-smiley-013.gif

The early proofs were exactly what I had in mind when thinking of "spectacular".

charlesv.jpg

NGC's opinion: F15

Fine-15 was a harsh grade. That is a VF coin all day long.

I agree with you on that. I'll take another look when it gets back, but barring discovery of anything that would cause a downgrade it will go back.

Love the Charles V JJ !!

One of these days I'll find one - I hope.

Believe it or not I passed the first time, as I wasn't sure a Dutch coin would fit well with my Hapsburg thaler collection. Fortunately, it was still there the next time I saw the dealer. His comment "No need to worry, nobody wants to buy real coins - they only want shiny things with animals on them." 27_laughing.gif

It's one of those coins that I liked better once it came home with me - that's always the mark of a really good one. He'll make it to my forthcoming top 10 thread.