• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A trip back in time

10 posts in this topic

OK, this is kinda off-topic, but I couldn't resist sharing. Next week I am going on a business trip to LA, and on Tuesday I need to be in Long Beach for the day. So yesterday I was making the travel arrangements, and the hotel where I was supposed to stay was booked, so in looking around, I found a cheap rate staying in a first class cabin on the Queen Mary! They have a 365 room hotel on the ship consisting of the old cabins used for transatlantic crossings. Then I booked a flight into Long Beach instead of LAX, and I am taking a non-stop flight on a turboprop! Then I learned the Long Beach airport is all art deco, and reminiscent of the 1920s! The trip back in time will be complete, prop plane, old time airport, and a cabin on one of the granded ocean liners of the 20th century. No only if I could get a steam train in there somehow!

Oh yeah, and to relate this somehow back to coins, I was thinking of planting a few old mercs around the ship, so maybe someone will find them in similar vintage to the ship itself! I'll let you know how it was when I return, but even if it's horrible I'll probably still love it.

No, I have a specific company event scheduled for Tuesday, but I am definitely going to keep the show in mind for future client visits.

I was thinking of planting a few old mercs around the ship, so maybe someone will find them in similar vintage to the ship itself!

Can you imagine the excitement of someone finding one of those! That'd be worth it's weight in gold. Sounds like great fun. I have a box of vintage coins that are barely worth more than face or are just worth face due to condition. I love setting those free in the market just for the fun of thinking that a person may be delighted in the find. My kids love spending them.

Hoot

If you were to Hangout with the HepKitty, driving in her BelAir, listening to some Rockabilly, you'd swear your in 1956!

Jeff,

I hope you have a good trip. Maybe if you have the time you can found out if there are any local coin shops you can check out. You never know where the next nice saint might turn up. wink.gif

John

Jeff, you should check out the Aquarium of The Pacific, same area as Queen Mary and Convention Center. I can get you into Knotts Berry Farm for free, they have a few Steam Trains! You can plant some of those $20 pieces and I will try an find em, we can call it a Easter Gold Hunt!

Well, there's probably a lot of stuff I could do, unfortunately I won't have much time! I am booked all day Tuesday, and then Weds in LA, and Thurs in San Diego. I am just hoping to do the behind the scenes tour of the ship after I arrive Monday evening.