• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Well, I just went on a 45 minute typing rant about full strikes.....

7 posts in this topic

and how NGC and PCGS have ignored them when certifying MS65 and higher coins but I decided not to post it.

Have a nice day!

Leo sleeping.gif

You write it, I'll read it.

...And probably agree with it, too.

There are a lot of us who like out coins fully struck (or at least 99%). It doesn't seem to matter if half the design is missing because of years in circulation or a moment too little in a coining chamber. How can poor strikes be even choice, much less gems. Grade them MS-30.

I think one set that a full strike is an absolute for in gem status is the Franklin???

Other than the FBL who could tell, and FBL designation is frequently not a result of full strike but instead a lack of bag friction.

Full strike coins with importance are coins like Full Head Standing Lib quarters, Full steps Jeffs, Fully struck S Mint Walkers with thumb detail and full heads, O mint Morgans with detail above the ear and full eagle breast detail, or early Buff nickels where the horn is full and crisply defined.

As to the premise of this thread... It is possible to have a Morgan with virtually no contact marks of any kind, with blazing lustre and terrific eye appeal that may not be fully struck. I would have a problem with such a coin not receiving at least a 65 when if fully struck the coin would probably be at least a 67.

-Kurt-