• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

We disavow this coin.

30 posts in this topic

What would you say if you knew DH was offered a bunch of them back and declined since only a few hundred got thru?

Personally, I think the coins look ridiculous and PCGS should be ashamed to have some blatant AT coins in their slabs.

That coin is an ugly at piece of junk and there is NO WAY THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN SLABBED. ANYBODY who thinks that is real needs help immediatly.

Also is there anyway to tell if this was a bulk order and if so who submitted it 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What would you say if you knew DH was offered a bunch of them back and declined since only a few hundred got thru?

popcorn.gif

Funny how only the 1966 Jefferson sold! 27_laughing.gif Those Jefferson nickel collectors - what a bunch of suckers. 893whatthe.gifinsane.gif

Hoot

Ummm....this thread proves that I have zero ability in detecting ATd coins.

That Keddedy half looks ugly just like all the other Kennedy halves do, but can't tell for sure if it's ATd.

Can anyone tell a novice collector like me where to look at to determine if the coin is ATd or not?

Gosh, those coins are awful. I would be embarrassed to inventory coins like that! To paraphrase an advertisement, the gap between "artificial toning" and "natural toning" is rapidly closing! 27_laughing.gif

James

AT? C'mon! The Kennedy "expert" over at the PCGS boards says they've seen that type of toning from the cellphane. These MUST be real then.... yeahok.gif

jom

the dog in Travis's sig line...

HEY! Watch it mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

I said: ". . . if the coin looks like the clothes on the dog . . ." Why are you mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif?

AT? C'mon! The Kennedy "expert" over at the PCGS boards says they've seen that type of toning from the cellphane. These MUST be real then.... yeahok.gif

jom

I've found wild toned coins in the cello packs also. However, that color wasn't spray painted on.

I've found wild toned coins in the cello packs also. However, that color wasn't spray painted on.

Cello packs don't mean they aren't AT either....you can gas them, no? 893whatthe.gif Hell, you probably could do that with slabs.

jom

Cello packs don't mean they aren't AT either....you can gas them, no? 893whatthe.gif Hell, you probably could do that with slabs.

jom

True. You can also reseal the cello packs.

How was that coin colored? heat?

Yes, heat treatment would be an accurate guess. Typical oven/stove heating will make the spots more pronounce and spotchy. UGH! I think this coin had a reserve of $1500. foreheadslap.gif

TRUTH

There are many common date Jeff Nickel proofs from 1959 - 1964 that did naturally tone in the cellophane packs - they are usually pastel colors, sometimes a bit deeper - I have several still in the cello - i also have several complete proof sets with toned coins in them - they are not AT - I get them from a couple of dealers who search thru many mint packaged sets looking for cameos and they save any that are toned for me.

There are some PF Jeffs with very DEEP colors that I don't think are the real deal, but many are in PCGS holders and I'm told that PCGS has not deemed them AT and have made no effort to remove them from the marketplace. That Kennedy which was linked at the begining of this thread, if Not AT, is fugly - has negative eye-appeal and has no premium over a common low grade unc coin - JMHO

There are some PF Jeffs with very DEEP colors that I don't think are the real deal, but many are in PCGS holders and I'm told that PCGS has not deemed them AT and have made no effort to remove them from the marketplace.

PCGS won't slab them today. Therefore, they are admitting they are AT. And we know who did the AT job.

PCGS doesn't want to pay money to get them off the market.

It's that simple. confused-smiley-013.gif

Ummm....this thread proves that I have zero ability in detecting ATd coins.

That Keddedy half looks ugly just like all the other Kennedy halves do, but can't tell for sure if it's ATd.

Can anyone tell a novice collector like me where to look at to determine if the coin is ATd or not?

There are 3 signs on the kennedy that lead me to believe the coin is AT

1) The colors - they don't make sense and the colors on the coin are typically the product of heat induced accelerated toning methods. Take note of those colors and avoid - partiularly on modern coins. CLAD is not as naturally reactive as silver and wild electric toning on CLAD is very, very, very rare in a natural state.

2) The splotchiness in the toning - another dead give away of heat induced toning.

3) The toning goes over the letters versus through the letters, another give away of accelerated versus natural toning. This by itself does not mean the coin is AT, but combined with the first 2 points its a dead give away.

I recommend you pick up Bob Campbells ANA video on "how to detect artificial toning on coins". Its very educational.

CLAD is not as naturally reactive as silver and wild electric toning on CLAD is very, very, very rare in a natural state.

If not impossible. The typical tone you see on clads are from Dansco holders. It's usually around the rim and it can be attractive. An example:

50c-73p_small.jpg

50c-82p_small.jpg

jom

Here's an NT Jeff that I took out of the cello myself before the neon coins hit the market. I thought this piece was exceptional at the time (and still do). Tough to tell from my pic, but the toning is an even mauve. Nothing neon. It's graded PF67 with NGC. Since I found this nickel, I've seen a few others that toned this way along with Washington quarters and one or two Roosies. All possessed subtle, even and beautiful toning.

916654-1962Jeff5cPF67NGC.JPG

Hoot

916654-1962Jeff5cPF67NGC.JPG.9f0593ce0a94dd3efd962b4820706e10.JPG

CLAD is not as naturally reactive as silver and wild electric toning on CLAD is very, very, very rare in a natural state.

If not impossible. The typical tone you see on clads are from Dansco holders. It's usually around the rim and it can be attractive. An example:

50c-73p_small.jpg

50c-82p_small.jpg

jom

Those are attractive.

Those are attractive.

Thanks. The nice thing is the EDUCATION. I really couldn't tell you if a Seated Quarter or a Buffalo nickel was absolutely NT because I've really never seen these issues stored in a holder such as a Wayte Raymond. The Kennedys however were toned in MY Dansco over a period of now 12 years. Actually it only took about 8 years for the ones that did tone to get that way. So I now can spot a Dansco toned coin in an instant. It's all about EXPERIENCE....I really wish I had seen a toned Buffalo set. That'd be cool.... cool.gif

jom

Shameful. Eventually some poor fool, probably a newby will pay an outrageous sum of money for these coins, but oh well right? The "interested" parties have already made their money on these coins so who cares now??