• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How's the new boards server?

58 posts in this topic

Hi Arch --

Much smoother with fewer hiccups and less waiting to load. For some reason, the instant UBB codes (or graemlins) aren't working for me. I tried to give you a <clapping hands> but couldn't.

Is there a way to move between forums without returning to the main index?

Thanks.

Edited to add: I PMed Eric about the UBB codes last night -- maybe he's already working on it?

I guess this is an opportunity to complain, right?

Navigation of the NGC boards is still too slow! As an example, I just posted a new thread in the "numismatic tangents" area. When finished, I returned to the "numismatics tangents" page. Then, I hit the backspace to return to "the collector's society" main page, and that took eight seconds!

Now, I click on the "U. S. Coins", and that's fine, as it took about a second to be dropped in to that area. But again, I hit the backspace, and it takes another eight seconds to return to the main page!

On a T1 connection, eight seconds is simply much too long to have to wait to move from page to page. That said, it does seem to be an improvement over weeks past, when it was taking twenty seconds to move from page to page.

Just trying to render an honest opinion here!

James

• Administrator
I guess this is an opportunity to complain, right?

Navigation of the NGC boards is still too slow! As an example, I just posted a new thread in the "numismatic tangents" area. When finished, I returned to the "numismatics tangents" page. Then, I hit the backspace to return to "the collector's society" main page, and that took eight seconds!

Now, I click on the "U. S. Coins", and that's fine, as it took about a second to be dropped in to that area. But again, I hit the backspace, and it takes another eight seconds to return to the main page!

On a T1 connection, eight seconds is simply much too long to have to wait to move from page to page. That said, it does seem to be an improvement over weeks past, when it was taking twenty seconds to move from page to page.

Just trying to render an honest opinion here!

James

hm. I'm not sure what you're experiencing as I can't duplicate that kind of slow response on our end. I CAN tell you this - when you hit "backspace" what you're doing is returning to a cached (loaded locally on your own machine) version of the page in question. There is actually no interaction with the server at that point - only a reloading from your own disk drive of a page that was already downloaded.

So at a guess I'd say there's something screwy with your disk access rather than anything we can affect on our end. When was the last time you defragmented your hard drive?

• Administrator
Hi Arch --

Much smoother with fewer hiccups and less waiting to load. For some reason, the instant UBB codes (or graemlins) aren't working for me. I tried to give you a <clapping hands> but couldn't.

Is there a way to move between forums without returning to the main index?

Thanks.

Edited to add: I PMed Eric about the UBB codes last night -- maybe he's already working on it?

Hello,

There are lots of ways to move between forums. You can click on main index at the top (probably what you're doing now), you can click on the "NGC - NCS - PMG" link at the top on the left, OR at the bottom of a thread page, you can use the drop down on the lower right to choose a new forum.

i just got on now

and it is faster and more smoother significantly so thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

mucho better cloud9.gif

thanks for making a great site even better as i know content is the best but you gots to have faster moving parts and again this is significantly faster and smoother since i last signed on!!

you can use the drop down on the lower right to choose a new forum

I don't know why I never noticed the drop down menu at the bottom of the page. foreheadslap.gif Thanks.

So, you found some other use for that old 386? Maybe on your desk as a web development platform? devil.gif

Yes, things are much better now and it is much appreciated. Of course, things would have been going much smoother before if we didn't have a certain pair filling up the boards with nonsense... insane.gifscrewy.gif

• Administrator

It wasn't quite a 386... maybe a 486.

Just kidding. It was a decent server, but board traffic has grown significantly on all sides of our collecting areas since it was put it and it was just time (probably past time) for a hardware upgrade to handle it all. We're pretty close to 900,000 posts in the database and a peak of 213 simultaneous users. That was alot of load for the old system.

Yes, things are much better now and it is much appreciated. Of course, things would have been going much smoother before if we didn't have a certain pair filling up the boards with nonsense... insane.gifscrewy.gif

Could you be a little more specific,from what I know there are several of these so called pairs? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

BTW Arch,it does go alot faster and I am definately glad of that! thumbsup2.gif

I tried to give you a <clapping hands> but couldn't

Now they're working. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Yep, but when you move your cursor over them, they still show javascript:void(0) when it used to show the typed expression that was going to be inserted. This was useful as when you click on one of them, it inserts it at the end of the post regardless of where your cursor is. It's a pain to click on them and then move them.

And the most annoying this hasn't been fixed in the software upgrade. When you preview a post before submitting, the next screen shows: I want to preview my post and/or attach a file . Why is there a space before the period? frustrated.gif No big deal, it just always sticks out to me when I see it.

It seems to be much better now. Of course the real test will be at around 7:00-9:00 when I am usually unable to access the board due to slowness.

Also lastnight the emoticon buttons didn't work but if you knew how to type them in you were fine. Also the URL button and others didn't work Everything is working fine now grin.gifweb page

Now about this "unnamed pair". All I will say is one begins with VIC and the other is known for having a thing for bananas. They seem to think this is a coin forum insane.gifpoke2.gifwink.gifsign-offtopic.gif

It seems to be much better now. Of course the real test will be at around 7:00-9:00 when I am usually unable to access the board due to slowness.

Also lastnight the emoticon buttons didn't work but if you knew how to type them in you were fine. Also the URL button and others didn't work Everything is working fine now grin.gifweb page

Now about this "unnamed pair". All I will say is one begins with VIC and the other is known for having a thing for bananas. They seem to think this is a coin forum insane.gifpoke2.gifwink.gifsign-offtopic.gif

And the others??? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Arch, the same thing happens at home on my dialup connection. The 8 second delay seems to be independent of the machine.

By the way, at work, I run Windows NT on a 1GH machine, so disk fragmentation is not a problem (NT is always defragging).

James

Darn I am having a problem. Posts are coming up new even though I allready have looked at them frustrated.gif I did not have this problem before Christo_pull_hair.giffrustrated.gif

What an improvement!! Much faster now 893applaud-thumb.gif

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Arch, thanks for your attention to this! Much faster and improved. It reflects highly upon the professionalism and concern of NGC. Thanks again.

This server is faster, but NGC main site server loading is really slow in the evening. I have a fast computer with DSL and for the past (3) evenings, it has taken forever to load the main page and sign in, then it tells you that you are signed in when you are not! This means that you can't access your homepage, etc......

• Administrator
This server is faster, but NGC main site server loading is really slow in the evening. I have a fast computer with DSL and for the past (3) evenings, it has taken forever to load the main page and sign in, then it tells you that you are signed in when you are not! This means that you can't access your homepage, etc......

hm. We haven't heard this from anyone else. One thing that WAS slowing down the main site was that the banners at the top and sides were actually being served up by the boards server, and THAT server was slow. This caused the page to load slowly. So the board server upgrade should actually have made that quite a bit better.

As far as whether you're signed in or not... your login WILL persist as long as your browser was open. So if you signed in and then just surfed away to other sites, maybe came back the next day, but never logged out or closed all copies of your browser, then you'd still be signed in.