• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dansco albums

7 posts in this topic

I think Dansco's are nice for display purposes, as long as you're careful and don't mind some toning over time.

The plastic slides can scratch the coins if you're not careful, and the sheets aren't well sealed. Toning should occur over time.

EVP

Let me repost a story here that I put on the PCGS message boards:

This is a true story. frown.gif

I recently came into possession of a set of Kennedys. One coin caught my eye. An early date clad. The coin is stunning. This coin jumped out from the Kennedy set album and screamed GEM. The rest of the set was average in quality, but not this coin.

I couldn't wait to get the coin out of the album and examine it closer. It appeared to be extremely mark free. My heart was beating fast.

This set/coin was housed in one of those albums with the plastic strips on each side which slides out and you put the coins in and then slide the plastic back. Dansco?

I carefully took the coin out and the mark free surfaces struck me. STUNNING. A solid MS68. Easily half a point better than the 71-D in 68 I made. This coin was stunning. I grabbed the light and pulled it over to look at this gem more closely. My heart sank. frown.gif

There are slide marks on the highest part of the obverse where the plastic strip from the album slide against the coin. This coin which I have ZERO doubt would have made MS68 at PCGS will now be lucky to make MS65. This would have been a pop 1 coin and I have no doubt a $5,000+ coin. Now this coin will never be housed in the finest set. This coin will never amaze the graders. This wonder coin will never be. This $5,000+ coin is now a $1 coin.

Who killed this coin? I can only guess it was the previous owner. Someone who didn't know anything about grading modern coins. AU, BU, what's the difference. Someone who had no idea what he or she had. Someone who "protected" their coins by putting them in an album.

Why am I telling this sad story? Perhaps someone here with think twice or take more care before putting their coins in one of these albums. That "common" coin in your set might just be worth a few more dollars than you think. I'm not out any money since this coin was damaged. Neither was the previous owner. The only "loss" here was a gem to the collecting community.

The 77-S trade dollar in my set has the luster, look and clean surfaces of an MS68. However, it has a few of the Dansco slidemarks on Liberty's thigh - just enough to be limited to MS67. Difference in price - $50,000

I just am really careful about these albums. I have gem Kennedy, Ike and SBA sets housed in them. I should put the sets in Capital Holders before I screw them up. I have some really Cherry Ike's, SBA's and Kennedy's in these sets. They have been there since they were worth $2.00 each (last year???). My how Modern's fly tongue.gif ............

Dansco holders can be great if you are careful. I've got my sets of Wash, Kennedy, Ike, Roosy and Jeff in Dansco holders. My Kennedy set is interesting given that several of the clad ones are toning. One in particular has toned quite nicely. In fact I took it out because the toning was starting to accelerate. Oddly, my Ikes aren't doing a damn thing. frown.gif

Here's some pics

Kennedy Half

Another

jom

I have had the same experience. I do not know what the differences may be but my Clad Kennedy's are toning much faster than my Ike's. One of the mysteries of life I guess? tongue.gif