• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trivia: What One Single Coin Offers The Most Points?

10 posts in this topic

Is there a single coin that is point heavy? I'd guess the 1885 Proof Trade would HAVE to be way up there.

What is the Top Coin, or is there a 'point ceiling' that no one coin can surpass?

(PS: I already know what coin(s) offer the LOWEST point total! I own plenty of those... smirk.gif )

Aren't points related to the set they are in? (i.e. the rarest coin in one set that costs $50,000 gets 5,000 points. Yet, the rarest coin in another set that costs $500 is given 2,000 points.)?

I believe the 1885 T$ gets 3 points (maybe only 1 point). It is a "display only" coin.

If I had to guess of a coin that offers the most points that is probably listed in a set, it would be a 1927-D St. Gaudens.

1794 Dollar gets over 23,000 points in the Early Dollar sets in MS-66*. In the Type sets, no coin gets over 17,500, so the dollar sounds right.

What about Steve's (RegistryCoin) NGC MS69 Roosevelt? I remember awhile back a Thread stating it alone would win out over a complete set in MS67 even with a few MS68s thrown in.

Then NGC has tweeked and changed the points system. Good for them. I remember it was a pretty heated discussion with one camp not believing it was fair a single coin could dominate while others believe rewarding a single top pop coin was appropriate vs. a shoe box full of ordinary "could-buy-off-of-eBay-at-a-moment's-notice" type stuff.

It appears NGC struck a compromise that works for all.

Pat,

For the most part, the system NGC has in place is very solid, and they do have the thread that you can post to if you feel uncertain about some weights. For the Complete Type Set, I noticed that several clad pieces were weighted too high based on current market prices, and the NGC staff reviewed the data I gave, and pulled the weights down ver quickly where suggested.

And the way the sets were changed around, it would be very difficult for a single coin or two to dominate a set. Now, a matched set of those top pop's would dominate, but that would fit.

It's good to see that NGC has taken the blinders off and are not just willing to listen to the active Collector, but change policy to adapt with the suggestions tenured.