• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC incorrect review of coin

11 posts in this topic

As I thought all these rainbow coins were artificial toning; I was incorrect. A quick story; I received a birthday gift from my bother a couple years ago. It was a 1995 eagle 1$ silver money clip; straight from the mint. As I don’t us money clips I put it in a draw were it sat for years. A couple months ago I found the money clip and it had a rainbow toning on the reverse of the coin.

So I sent it to NGC for grading with other coins, NGC body bagged the coin for the reason of “art toning”. I find this foolish since I’ve seen coins like this in NGC holders and this coin I’ve had for years directly from the mint (bright white).

The reason I post this is that even the professionals can’t be correct on toning coinage; so why does NGC grade these coins? It seems NGC should either grade all these coins or grade none? Since NGC review of this coin is 100% incorrect.

I would post a photo but don't know how???

Stephen

sign-rantpost.gif

Hi,

If you feel we made a mistake, please feel free to send this coin back in for review. Although, from your description of the coin and it's history, sounds as though it could have also possibly been not holdered due to being removed from a mount, if damaged occured with it being placed in a money clip.

Thanks,

Here is the picture of your coin that you posted across the street:

my29$006.jpg

I'm not speaking for NGC here, but here is, in my opinion, the best response (written by TomB) from that thread: I think you are wrong when you write that it is pure foolishness, however, I think I can tell you why NGC might have bagged it as AT and that is because you have areas on the reverse rim that are visible in the image above the E in STATES and perhaps near the hyphen between SILVER and ONE. These are likely from the money clip, but they are also telltale evidence that points to AT where the coin may have been held by tongs as it was either heated or submerged. You can't blame NGC for following evidence like that.

• Administrator

I'm not speaking for NGC here, but here is, in my opinion, the best response (written by TomB) from that thread: I think you are wrong when you write that it is pure foolishness, however, I think I can tell you why NGC might have bagged it as AT and that is because you have areas on the reverse rim that are visible in the image above the E in STATES and perhaps near the hyphen between SILVER and ONE. These are likely from the money clip, but they are also telltale evidence that points to AT where the coin may have been held by tongs as it was either heated or submerged. You can't blame NGC for following evidence like that.

So what we're saying is that the coin has an achilles heel...

Couldn't resist.

Thank you for posting the photo. Yes I see those points you state, and you are correct. The 12:00 mark was from the screw that held the money clip.

It's just that I find this whole topic of grading coins interesting as a business, as grading is subjective to each person. And I know it's only a 7 dollar coin.

3 weeks ago I put another 1$ silver eagle in the money clip. Today the coin is already toning nicely.

I don't think the color looks right, too me!?! Isn't is usually russet, light blue, yellow, red-violet, teal blue, purple, them black? I would of thought that this was an AT myself...

It would be less offensive if NGC stated, "Not Market Acceptable Toning on the bodybag" vs "Artifical Color".

That way they're covered and coins, such as the silver eagle, the topic of this thread, remain unslabbable without complaint.