• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The real market value of those colorful 1982S Washington commems.

23 posts in this topic

Have you ever seen those really pretty toned 1982S Washington proof commems, you know, the NGC and PCGS graded coins that the dealer is asking $1000, $2000 or $5000. I've always enjoyed viewing them, but for some reason, anything over $250 seems too much. Well, here's one that's under $250.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1982-S-NGC-PF68-Ultr...7QQcmdZViewItem

I guess the colored modern commem market is "readjusting".

TRUTH

I've mentioned this many times before, there used to be a dealer at the Long Beach show who had a bunch of the Olympic dollars toned this way. If you wanted them raw, they were $X, if you wanted them PCGS graded, they were $X+Y. He had other toned moderns in his case. PCGS wised up after slabbing a bunch (NGC was not grading moderns at this time).

Fast forward a few years and suddenly everyone thinks these are real. If that guy could make monsters back then, I wonder what he could make today. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If that guy could make monsters back them, I wonder what he could make today. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Enough to buy a yacht grin.gif

I must say though that coin isn't worth that much. If I had to buy a modern toned commem it would be something like this

60117964_large.jpg

A genuine waste of $300. tongue.gif

Hoot

Years ago, coins like this had no problem trading raw for $100. I think $250 is probably the most it is worth. However, I have seen PCGS proofs being offered by several respected dealers at a few northern california shows in the $1500-$2000 range. I would have real ethics problems offering colored moderns for that kind of money.

TRUTH

Hoot

Nope, at least they're pretty. A real waste would be spending $300 on Full Steps for a coin that is worth 5c without those steps. boo.gif

Hoot

A real waste would be spending $300 on Full Steps for a coin that is worth 5c without those steps. boo.gif

27_laughing.gif

I couldn't agree more. Collecting is a careful art. Hence the old adage that one should never spend more than one is willing to lose.

Hoot

Hoot

Years ago, coins like this had no problem trading raw for $100. I think $250 is probably the most it is worth. However, I have seen PCGS proofs being offered by several respected dealers at a few northern california shows in the $1500-$2000 range. I would have real ethics problems offering colored moderns for that kind of money.

TRUTH

This is horrifying. I'd also have a real problem with this.

These "super stimulus" coins are simply absurd to look at.

Funny thing is that I've seen some modern commems with natural toning (still in their original packaging) that were quite attractive. Why not settle for what's genuine?

Hoot

oh my

my my my my my my my my my my devil.gif

well i guess i will stick to the classic pre 1915 junque coinage

seems cheap compaired to all these in demand wonderfully toned devil.gifAT coins devil.gif in or out of holders 893whatthe.gif sold and offered by greedy swine hunts---pig dogs that do more to harm the collecting public and the hobby in general all within the law but still crass low class and piggish may the fleas of 1000 camels infect their loins however small they might be

and may all their friends and relatives and offspring get burned in all the items they buy from others for all eternity..such is karma

these sellers of such coins are low life low class little to no integrity ethics or responability....waht a way to go through life to lie cheat and steal all legally.true human turds

give me the pre 1915 junque coinage any day of the week

I like that commem midwest showed. "For the increase and diffusion of knowledge". How appropriate. grin.gif

If what Greg says is true then what I've guessed in the past is comming true. If you get enough AT coins in holders then eventually what was AT becomes NT because of the assumption of the slab.

The SLAB knows all and tells all. hail.gif

Long live the SLAB. hail.gif

In SLAB we trust hail.gif

Fear the SLAB hail.gif

In the beginning, the SLAB created heaven and earth hail.gif

jom

If that guy could make monsters back them, I wonder what he could make today. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Enough to buy a yacht grin.gif

I must say though that coin isn't worth that much. If I had to buy a modern toned commem it would be something like this

60117964_large.jpg

I agree with you, Travis. This is a beautiful coin both in design and toning. Is it worth multiples of bid? NO. Is it worth 1.5 X's bid? Doubtful. But it may be worth an extra twenty dollar bill for eye-appeal.

"I agree with you, Travis. This is a beautiful coin both in design and toning. Is it worth multiples of bid? NO. Is it worth 1.5 X's bid? Doubtful. But it may be worth an extra twenty dollar bill for eye-appeal."

I agree. This coin may be pretty, and worth a few dollars over it's greysheet bid. But is it worth $700 in PCGS holder? The owner thinks so.

TRUTH

What?! Truth, no gloom & doom?

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Give him a moment or two... he's just warming up. yeahok.gif

Sir Saintly Patrick,

You are on a roll, sir.

acclaim.gifhail.gifacclaim.gifhail.gifacclaim.gif

Werent these coins (without color) trading for under $10 a few years ago? I remember the mintage was huge.

Thats alot of green to pay for some toning.

Werent these coins (without color) trading for under $10 a few years ago? I remember the mintage was huge.

Thats alot of green to pay for some toning.

You can still get them for around ten dollars. That might be why so many were at'd I mean toned to market acceptibility 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Not the Smithsonian. It is a fabulous design and fairly low mintage. Others from the eighties are near dirt cheap.