• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Out with the old - in with the new, Charles VI thaler, that is!

20 posts in this topic

I just upgraded a coin in my run of Hapsburg emperors, have a look at the new arrival:

charles6new.jpg

It was a harrowing process to get it here, the seller would not deliver until I filed a Paypal complaint. It has some toning while not very colorful does have a nice unmolested old silver look to it. The strike is wonderful and plenty of lustrer lies beneath the toning. A few minor hairlines limit the grade.

Here's the coin it replaces:

charles6old.jpg

Since I'll nbe selling it soon there's no need to badmouth it, but suffice to say I like the new one better.

Since you don't like the second one, can I have it? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

TRUTH

Yes. Now go wait by your mailbox. If it doesn't arrive it's because the roaming thaler bandits stole it. juggle.gif

TRUTH

Yes. Now go wait by your mailbox. If it doesn't arrive it's because the roaming thaler bandits stole it. juggle.gif

Kinda cheap of him. I'll buy it from you. How's $150.

TRUTH

Kinda cheap of him. I'll buy it from you. How's $150.

You're in luck, I actually have two! I'll send the other one out on approval so you should also go wait by your mailbox. If yours doesn't make it it's because the illegal aliens at your local Home Depot stole it.

• Administrator

You guys are making me want to buy more Roman coins than the single one I own. What makes it scary is I looked at that 64 versus the 62 and was thinking, "Oh that's a much more attractive coin. Even outside of what I would expect from the 2 point difference, it seems to have more eye appeal."

If you've got a totally ignorant person like me pretending he can see differences in eye appeal and grades, then that's scary. I also blame Scott Schechter for making me play the "guess the grade" game.

Bad bad people.

What makes it scary is I looked at that 64 versus the 62 and was thinking, "Oh that's a much more attractive coin. Even outside of what I would expect from the 2 point difference, it seems to have more eye appeal."

You're already on your way. thumbsup2.gif

You guys are making me want to buy more Roman coins than the single one I own. What makes it scary is I looked at that 64 versus the 62 and was thinking, "Oh that's a much more attractive coin. Even outside of what I would expect from the 2 point difference, it seems to have more eye appeal."

A 2-point grade difference can be massive or tiny. From an AU50 to AU55 most people would not notice a big difference or even be able to tell the difference.

From an MS60 to MS62, still not a big difference. Both coins are likely dogs or problem coins.

From MS62 to MS64 there should be a noticeable difference. With an MS62 you can have quite a few big hits, poor luster, even some cabinet friction, light cleaning, and other problems. None of those should be there on an MS64.

A 2-point grade difference can be massive or tiny. From an AU50 to AU55 most people would not notice a big difference or even be able to tell the difference.

From an MS60 to MS62, still not a big difference. Both coins are likely dogs or problem coins.

From MS62 to MS64 there should be a noticeable difference. With an MS62 you can have quite a few big hits, poor luster, even some cabinet friction, light cleaning, and other problems. None of those should be there on an MS64.

In this case, I think it also helps that the MS64 thaler is not all that far from a MS65. yay.gif

In this case, I think it also helps that the MS64 thaler is not all that far from a MS65. yay.gif

Let me dip it blast white and see if we can get it in an MS65 slab. angel.gif

Let me dip it blast white and see if we can get it in an MS65 slab. angel.gif

yeahok.gif

It was a harrowing process to get it here, the seller would not deliver until I filed a Paypal complaint.

*groan* this reminds me of a similar process I'm going through with him mad.gif

At least it was worth the wait. thumbsup2.gif

Cool coins. thumbsup2.gif

Have you found a Charles V taler yet? If so, please post photos.

Eventually I'd like to put together a set of Reformation era talers. So far I only have a 1535 Saxony Ernestine taler, but I'd like to get an Edward VI crown, Charles V taler, Geneva 1560's taler, and Friedrich III taler of the Palatinate (if such a coin was minted). My Davenport doesn't have any of the German states coins. frown.gif

My Davenport doesn't have any of the German states coins. frown.gif

What Davenport do you have? I've got the full set and you can borrow any that you need. These books are hard to find even if you are willing to pay the price for them. It took me around a year to finally get all the books and twice it was just blind luck that I found them.

What Davenport do you have? I've got the full set and you can borrow any that you need. These books are hard to find even if you are willing to pay the price for them. It took me around a year to finally get all the books and twice it was just blind luck that I found them.

The volume I have includes Swiss cantons and maybe some others (it's still in the plastic). Don didn't have the German States volume, and I haven't looked for one for a long time.

The volume I have includes Swiss cantons and maybe some others (it's still in the plastic). Don didn't have the German States volume, and I haven't looked for one for a long time.

Sounds like you have one of the European Crowns books. They're split into 1484-1600, 1600-1700, 1700-1800 & Since 1800. None of the German States are in these books. They've got their own books: 1500-1600 (hardest to find and in the most demand), German Secular talers 1600-1700, German Church & City talers 1600-1700, & 1700-1800.

I checked. Mine is the 1484-1600. It figures the German States 1500 to 1600 I am looking for is the hardest to find. mad.gif

These go for about $150 in near new condition and not much less than that in worn condition. I searched a long time for a copy. For a short period of time they kept popping up on eBay, but kept going for more than I wanted to pay. The worst part was they kept increasing in price. frown.gif I broke down and purchased one for $150 from a dealer. Then won a second copy on eBay for around $20 a week later. Christo_pull_hair.gif They listed it in the wrong category.

The only one I currently found for sale is on Amazon and it is at $300.

I checked. Mine is the 1484-1600. It figures the German States 1500 to 1600 I am looking for is the hardest to find. mad.gif

These go for about $150 in near new condition and not much less than that in worn condition. I searched a long time for a copy. For a short period of time they kept popping up on eBay, but kept going for more than I wanted to pay. The worst part was they kept increasing in price. frown.gif I broke down and purchased one for $150 from a dealer. Then won a second copy on eBay for around $20 a week later. Christo_pull_hair.gif They listed it in the wrong category.

Yikes! Maybe I can pay for a peek at some of the pages. confused-smiley-013.gif

Yikes! Maybe I can pay for a peek at some of the pages. confused-smiley-013.gif

Those peeks won't be cheap.