• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Eagle Mint Rolls - leave in rolls?

6 posts in this topic

I have a set of Silver Eagle Uncirculated Mint Rolls from 2000 - 2005. I know the best thing to do is to have them encapsulated by NCS, but until they are worth the price or until I receive some disposable income, would it be better to leave them in the rolls or buy some air tight coin holders to put them in individually. By the way the airtight holders come with a (for lack of a better word) rubber gizmo that you put the coin in before putting it in the holder. I'm a newby, and yes, I checked the posts, so be gentle and be generous in your replies.

Thank you.

Hi Tree Top! And welcome to the boards!

I have a set of silver eagles in rolls going back to the beginning (though I still need the 1986 and 1988) and I just keep them in the tubes they originally came in. They may become toned depending on where you store them, but those tubes are pretty good as they really don't bounce around that much. As for having them certified, I would't waste my money on it as they don't command much premium unless they are MS-69 or MS-70, and my eyes just aren't good enough to tell a 67 from a 68, let alone a 69 or 70. Either way, I've been buying a roll a year since 1990, and I can attest that storing them in the tubes causes no long-term damage. Hope this helps! thumbsup2.gif

Good advice posted! The high-grade ASE fad is loosing its appeal for many so I would leave them in the original rolls. Besides, original rolls usually bring a premium. And, in addition, since the 2005 coins are slightly bigger, then they are usually somewhat damaged in the attempt to remove them so, it is best to leave them be.

p.s. NCS=Numismatic Conservation Service vs. NGC=Numismatic Guarantee Corporation

Just a slight typo which results in a big difference in services.

Great question! Keep coming back, it works if you work it. grin.gif

Don't waste the money on the AirTites w/Accent Ring (rubber gizmo). They increase the storage space drastically. Keep the SAE's in rolls or tubes.

Chris