• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Something I have noticed on both forums: more people selling collections.

25 posts in this topic

I monitor the PCGS and NGC boards fairly closely. One thing I have noticed as of 3 months, more forum members are selling their coins or coin collections. Excluding the B/S/T forums, it appears more members need/want to sell their entire collections. Have you noticed the same? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH

• Administrator

Or, the total number of sets on the registries has grown substantially, as has the participation in both message boards, ultimately leading to a higher volume of buying and selling. However that statistic alone isn't meaningful without understanding the simultaneous change in the number of participants, as well as tracking their ability to move their sets, and understanding whether they're simply changing collecting focus or just getting out.

TRUTH-----Where better to let everyone know that you may be selling than on a coin message board?? Guys go in and out of hobbies all the time. And, with the market still high for the most part, guys may want to rid themselves of their "excess" material. Course there are some more options----one is guys getting out cause they are frustrated. Many find out the "truth" about collecting and see, as novice collectors that they have been taken----and want "OUT". Some might want to take a loss before they become even more entrenched in a fight which they see themselves loosing in the end. Others might be "shifting focus" as has been suggested. My son has moved in at least 3 or 4 directions in the last few years. People sometimes take a long time to find their little niche in coin collecting. Others may want out of so so coins----so that they can acquire just one or two nice pieces----what you think you absolutely need one day may be gone as a no account coin in a year or less. And, interests do change. There also may be those who "smell" a downturn and want to rid themselves of coins that "could" take a fall if things take a fall this Fall [i like that!!!!]. There are probably dozens of other reasons----health, retirement, need money for bills, kids going to college Etc. Etc. Bob [supertooth]

I've noticed quite a few people across the street give up on their registry sets. They'll frequently make comments that they can no longer afford to upgrade and compete. It's kind of funny, in that pathetic loser sort-of way.

I can't say I noticed any significant increase in the number of collectors decide to sell their collections. Perhaps you are just seeing the more vocal forum members?

I've noticed quite a few people across the street give up on their registry sets. They'll frequently make comments that they can no longer afford to upgrade and compete. It's kind of funny, in that pathetic loser sort-of way.

I can't say I noticed any significant increase in the number of collectors decide to sell their collections. Perhaps you are just seeing the more vocal forum members?

Once Wallstreetman gave up I knew the end is near.

Seriously, it seems to me most of the people selling are doing so for ordinaray reasons. Raising cash for buying a house or medical bills or just shifting from one collecting direction to another.

Aside from being a "pathetic loser", I sold some of my collection and shifted directions because of failing health, retirement and $40K/yr tuition for a child attending an eastern, expensive college. I guess I should have turned the kid out on the street so I could collect more coins? Also because I have shifted focus from trying to "pathetically" assemble (6) sets at one time to focusing on a couple at once.

Also addressing Arch's remarks, I have noticed membership on these Boards increasing from 4000 to over 5000 in the past year or so. This doesn't indicate that people are leaving the hobby to me.

Aside from being a "pathetic loser", I sold some of my collection and shifted directions because of failing health, retirement and $40K/yr tuition for a child attending an eastern, expensive college. I guess I should have turned the kid out on the street so I could collect more coins? Also because I have shifted focus from trying to "pathetically" assemble (6) sets at one time to focusing on a couple at once.

You're only a "pathetic loser" if you give up collecting something you like because you don't have the money to continue to upgrade to compete with those collecting the same thing. I just personally can't imagine myself ever giving up just because I can't continue to afford to remain in the top few spots of a made-up registry. You're either a coin collector or a registry set collector and I'm seeing more and more seperation in the two.

I can understand giving up if you feel that you'll not have the ability to put together a set that meets your personal requirements (based on condition, completeness, etc), but to say that since Bob, Jim, & Tom have better sets and more money and you'll never be able to overtake them in the registry is why you are giving up, that would make you a pathetic loser.

I haven't been to the PCGS forum lately, but I don't think I've seen a particular upswing here 893scratchchin-thumb.gif. On the other hand, I know my collection is always in a state of flux, and sometimes, when I sell off a large chunk all at once, it might appear as if I'm selling my whole collection 27_laughing.gif. As a matter of fact, I am considering to submit a fairly significant portion of my coins for consignment in January of 2006 to a major auction house wink.gif.

James

when I sell off a large chunk all at once, it might appear as if I'm selling my whole collection 27_laughing.gif.

James

I thought that monster cent you got at subway was your whole collection 893scratchchin-thumb.gifpoke2.gif

893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gifstooges.gif

Maybe it is a yearly thing since people might be selling off coins to go on vacation 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Roll hunters seem to find the best stuff now due to this.

yay.gifTyay.gifRyay.gifAyay.gifVyay.gifIyay.gifSyay.gif

Truth - you are correct in your observation. I have noticed the same. I have also noticed coins that were for sale a few month's ago from internet dealers are contained in these sales. I scratched my head - thinking why would someone buy a big money coin for their collection and then sell the collection a month or two later. Maybe once or twice is a coincidence, but I have seen it several times this year. So, I know some will say "its all the result of the bull market" - there is a higher demand for volume as the market is dictating it etc, etc,,,,, I don't buy this.

I think you have a combination of people who are financially leveraged and need to sell and some others who see the writing on the wall of a imminent coin market correction and would like to get out while the going is still relatively good. These people were primarily profit motivated to begin with. However in fairness, that is not the case for everyone, there were some real collections that came on the market this past year that probably just ran thier course with the owners. (i.e. it was time to sell and do something new/retire, etc,,,,,,)

There are also alot of "for sale" signs hanging in front of homes in my neighborhood. More so than I remember seeing in current times. Hmmm - I wonder if there is a correlation here ????

• Administrator

Maybe it's a marketing move. They feel a more complete and higher caliber set will sell better. They're selling it anyway for their own purposes (buying a house, changing fields, whatever) and they pick up a big coin to make a bigger splash when selling the set?

In the end, most anecdotal evidence will fall far short of ever really indicating the condition of any sizable market. A much broader view would be required to find trends, I think. I guess the same issues apply to the coin market as apply to the stock market - i.e. timing the market is something beyond most people's ability. confused-smiley-013.gif

Oldtrader 3---Charlie---- I sit at #13 in the Walker Registry. It will be a long time before I go either up or down. For I too have a smart kid in an Eastern College. Goes back in just 10 days. But, I keep plodding along with my Walkers. I know that I will never compete at the top---not enough money---but I never cared when I posted the set and I do not care now. I just enjoy my coins for the " beauty" that they have. And, from what I have seen of you on these boards, you seem to do the same. Hunting for that right coin is like sitting and waiting for that right buck in the woods. You know that he is there---you just got to be patient and wait till he shows up. There is a certain shame about some of these "Registry Sets" however. And that is that a truly "knowledgable collector" may not be able to compete with the so-called "MONEY PEOPLE". Some folks know nothing of coins but their egos will allow them to "BUY" the TOP SETS. They allow others to find the coins and bid on them for them----just to be #1. Yet, many times they cannot even grade the coins that they own. Anyway, you hang in there and good luck with your remaining two sets. Hope you complete them to your satisfaction. Bob [supertooth]

'Tis true, Charlie, you are a true collector with passion for the hobby. But, one's child is far, far more important than mere materialistic pursuits. You have my respect, pard.

Just to clarify some of my negative connotations on why people are selling out of their collections - I am referring to those super duper registry or otherwise "hyped up" collections whose owners for the most part are primarily looking to make a quick profit. I am not referring to the ordinary "pro hobby" collector like many of us on these boards are. After re-reading this post and the initial responses on why some long term collectors may be selling portions of their collections (health/college/retire )- I realize my comments came were insensitive and I apologize.

Oldtrader 3---Charlie---- I sit at #13 in the Walker Registry. It will be a long time before I go either up or down. For I too have a smart kid in an Eastern College. Goes back in just 10 days. But, I keep plodding along with my Walkers. I know that I will never compete at the top---not enough money---but I never cared when I posted the set and I do not care now. I just enjoy my coins for the " beauty" that they have. And, from what I have seen of you on these boards, you seem to do the same. Hunting for that right coin is like sitting and waiting for that right buck in the woods. You know that he is there---you just got to be patient and wait till he shows up. There is a certain shame about some of these "Registry Sets" however. And that is that a truly "knowledgable collector" may not be able to Some folks know nothing of coins but their egos will allow them to "BUY" the TOP SETS. They allow others to find the coins and bid on them for them----just to be #1. Yet, many times they cannot even grade the coins that they own. Anyway, you hang in there and good luck with your remaining two sets. Hope you complete them to your satisfaction. Bob [supertooth]

You are a wise man.

TRUTH

Oldtrader 3---Charlie---- I sit at #13 in the Walker Registry. It will be a long time before I go either up or down. For I too have a smart kid in an Eastern College. Goes back in just 10 days. But, I keep plodding along with my Walkers. I know that I will never compete at the top---not enough money---but I never cared when I posted the set and I do not care now. I just enjoy my coins for the " beauty" that they have. And, from what I have seen of you on these boards, you seem to do the same. Hunting for that right coin is like sitting and waiting for that right buck in the woods. You know that he is there---you just got to be patient and wait till he shows up. There is a certain shame about some of these "Registry Sets" however. And that is that a truly "knowledgable collector" may not be able to Some folks know nothing of coins but their egos will allow them to "BUY" the TOP SETS. They allow others to find the coins and bid on them for them----just to be #1. Yet, many times they cannot even grade the coins that they own. Anyway, you hang in there and good luck with your remaining two sets. Hope you complete them to your satisfaction. Bob [supertooth]

You are a wise man.

TRUTH

He's over 2,000 years old?

Plus, where are the other two? crazy.gif

CT, Bob, Truth, EZ et al: Thanks for the comments. I also think that being number one at any cost is not only resource wasteful but futile. I have several sets languishing in various registries, some of which are finished or are almost finished. Someday I will refocus on the unfinished sets. None of these sets are number one nor have they ever been. Therefore, there is no hurry.

Right now, finding nice gold coins for the sets that lack them is my highest priority. High gold coin pricing and low nice coin availability is making this a very challenging assignment. I am not seeking MS65/67 coins, just nice MS63's. I also believe that gold has more price potential, particularly $2-1/2 and $5 coins. Try and find pre 1900, quarter eagles in MS63/64. Most dates are as rare as live dinosaurs.

They'll frequently make comments that they can no longer afford to upgrade and compete. It's kind of funny, in that pathetic loser sort-of way.

Constantly adding to one's set is attractive ... addictive even. I find nothing 'pathetic' about losing interest in a a set that is as complete as one is able to do financially and wanting to move on to something else....

TDN: The position that you describe is where I ended up on my Saint and gold sets. I had the Saint set 55% complete and because of aforementioned conditions, it became impractical and financially imprudent to continue. This decision had nothing to do with set ranking but everything to do with practical changes in lifestyle and other financial obligations.

I really felt a loss in selling the Saint set and the Half eagle set because I had put so much time and effort into building them, about 4 years to be exact. These sets were never intended to be pop top registry. They were what I wanted to collect. Sometimes I feel that Greg engages in verbal hip shooting before engaging his brain. Realizing rational collected objectives is not a pathetic sort of thing. It is reality for most of us who don't turn over several $100K in coins every year. Anyhow, I took offense to Greg's remarks and feel that they were harsh and uncalled for.

I'm in the process of shaving down my collection also. Some of the coins are top of pops. When I bought them some years back, I bought them because they were pretty and maybe at the instant of the purchase thought I could do a set without giving it a second thought. Lack of any sensible focus I guess. Well, economical reality sits in and yes, I too have tuition payments, housing, and expenses for the kid coming due. Unfortunately, I also had gotten bit HARD by the gold bug and loved Saints and Coronet Quarter Eagles so those will be moving very slowly if at all in the near future. But, again reality is forcing me to shave off portions of those items as well. Out of necessity, I'm comfortable with letting go those pieces which I feel I can look for a more consistant example with the rest of the set in the future. It may be a higher point getter, but it's not only about the points. The registry is great in that you can display and comment about your holdings which makes those coins yours. It may not be the best available, but it's yours and in the context of the owner, it has it's own very personal story associated with it. Personally, I find that as being most important. There are a ton of people with extremely deep pockets out there, and those will always get the best coins and win the "top of registry" awards. Heck, I doubt if some of them even know they even own the coin or know what it actually looks like as they have private people managing or placing items into their sets. In the grand scheme of things, where does the term "collector" fit in?

jb

jb's gold country sets

Registry sets are to some like trophy houses. I live on Puget Sound in Bellingham and keep a boat moored in a resort town near home. In this town, I see boats and waterfront vacation houses that cost over a million $'s which are used maybe a few weeks a year. I am sure that there are registry sets owned in the same financially casual manner.

I am not jealous nor critical of these people. However, this is not a life style that I ever thought much about, had or sought. It is just simply a very different reality than my life. As JB said, enjoy those coins that you do own and are in your registry sets.

I'm a little guy compared to most of you. I must say that I know very little about coin collecting other than I have enjoyed getting coins here and there over more than 30 years. I spent what I could for the best grade possible at the time. I have purchased single coins, proof sets, and mint sets mostly. My only comment in relation to this post is this. Now that I have been hoarding these coins all these years, I now have the opportunity to get then graded by NGC. I can find out from the pros wheather I made good, or bad choices. This might be one aspect in addressing the growth of the board postings, and membership. I of course am still learning, and am greatful to read what I consider to be expert opinions on a subject that interests me dearly.

P.J.,

Good idea about submitting your coins to NGC. Not only will it provide protection and set a set market value for your coins but it will also let you know how well you did, i.e. are the coins solid or not.

thumbsup2.gif