• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A "virtual" album: My US Type Set

14 posts in this topic

Thought I'd share with the board, here is my "baby" of my collection... the set that will never be truely "finished" although it's now complete (took 10 years to complete, finally did last year). It's house as you can probably tell in a Dansco album as I impatiently wait for Intercept Shield to produce a Type Set album.

I'll simply link to the images by page. Warning... images are rather large (a little over half a meg each in size). I scanned them in at 1200 dpi and 25% image size on a Canon LiDE 30 flatbed scanner.

Enjoy!

Matt's US Type Set

Page 1 Front

Page 1 Back

Page 2 Front

Page 2 Back

Page 3 Front

Page 3 Back

Page 4 Front

Page 4 Back

Page 5 Front

Page 5 Back

Notes: The Wheat cent (non VDB) is a 1922 no D in AG found in a bag of 5000 circulated wheats. The Barber Quarter although the scan looks blackish, actually has a deep blueish tint on the obverse and a wine-red tint in the reverse fields when held at the right angle to the light. Some extraneous marks that appear as if they are on the coins is due to being on the plastic sliders. Any blurriness on some coins is due to the scanner itself. I did the best I could to get a good crisp scan though.

That is a great set! Where's the gold? tongue.gif My only complain (and this is with the album, not the coins) is that there are some little inconsistencies that bug me, like labeling steel cents zinc, and zinc cents bronze on the Lincolns, but I really like your coins, I really should get back to doing some work on my type set!

Pardon my ignorance regarding US coins. What you displayed is definitely beautiful, and this isn't intended to rain on your parade, but shouldn't a complete type set to date include a Sacagawea dollar and the State Quarters, or at least one example of its obverse confused.gif

very nice! smile.gif I may actually get around to finishing mine someday! Or for that matter may actually get around to rewriting my webpages and actually taking some pictures! grin.gif

Ok, a few answers about the set and what it's "missing".

I got the album ten years ago which was before the release of the State Quarters or the Sac Dollar and unforutnately didn't have the Bust Dollar or the gold.

Like I said, I'm waiting for a better album to be released and will move to it when I'm able to do so. I've also looked through to start a FULLY complete Type Set of Federal US coins (no colonials or patterns, and probably only an example or two of each commem type and state quarter), but would probably have to either use 2x2s or slabs in a binder.

Thanks for the feedback everyone smile.gif I hope you enjoyed looking through it as I did putting it together.

Nice work. I have to admit to only opening the obverse images for the coins because the files were large, just as you warned. There were faint check marks next to a number of coins, what were these for? It's a good thing you mentioned the '22 no D Lincoln since I looked at the coin and wondered what was going on there and then read the rest of your post, that's cool.

I especially liked the Capped Bust half dime, the Reeded Edge half and the WLH. It's funny, as the WLH was loading I kept thinking to myself "it's a 1917" because of the strike and the rims and then it indeed, was, a 1917. I think I might spend too much time on coins. crazy.gif

Congrats!

The faint check marks... made at some point over the years cataloging the set, keeping track of what's what and what it's worth, etc. Exactly when and why I've long since forgotten.