• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1624 German (Ottingen-Ottingen) Taler

12 posts in this topic

This is one of my two highlight purchases from the recent ANA show in San Francisco.

It is a 1624 German Taler from the citystate of Ottingen-Ottingen. It is listed in Davenport as #7136 and in the Krause as KM-20 (page 655).

dav-7136.jpg

The coin is in as superb condition as the picture indicates. Lots of original luster, well struck, nice planchet. Overall, a great looking coin and the nicest example I've personally seen of this type.

I've been trying to acquire one of these for a couple of years, but have been outbid every time (at least twice by a dealer in Germany). They come up for sale somewhat frequently, but mainly in lower grade. I lucked into this coin as the dealer was selling this for a friend and the price was very right.

Super duper! Care to take a guess at the NGC grade?

Are there a few green spots on the coin or is that just the photo?

I like this coin. May I have it? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

TRUTH

Sure, consider it a present. Of course, this present is going to cost you $2000.

Super duper! Care to take a guess at the NGC grade?

Since NGC appears to be in a super tight mode with these "oddly struck" coins, I'm guessing AU55. However, it would not shock me to see it come back MS63.

Are there a few green spots on the coin or is that just the photo?

There were a couple of small, old PVC spots. Those are now gone. It's now 100% blast white. wink.gif

It's now 100% blast white. wink.gif

As it should be. Everybody knows that 380 year old silver coins that aren't white have problems.

As it should be. Everybody knows that 380 year old silver coins that aren't white have problems.

I agree 100%.

BTW, we should know the grade of this coin in about 3 weeks. It's going into NGC tomorrow by overnight mail. On the invoice, I've included some topless women on Palau coins to keep Ken & Company in good spirits when they view this coin. 27_laughing.gif

I agree 100%.

BTW, we should know the grade of this coin in about 3 weeks. It's going into NGC tomorrow by overnight mail. On the invoice, I've included some topless women on Palau coins to keep Ken & Company in good spirits when they view this coin. 27_laughing.gif

I'm sure they appreciate your concern.

There were a couple of small, old PVC spots. Those are now gone. It's now 100% blast white. wink.gif

I can't believe you did this without a second thought to a (nice!) 400 year old coin. frustrated.gif

Note to self: Keep Greg as far away as possible from my old toned coins when I see him. crazy.gif

I can't believe you did this without a second thought to a (nice!) 400 year old coin. frustrated.gif

I was joking about the blast white part. I did remove the PVC spots with some acetone. The toning was unharmed. I like the look of the toning on this one very much and would never harm it*.

*Unless I was selling the coin and could get it into a higher grade slab. poke2.gif

I was joking about the blast white part. I did remove the PVC spots with some acetone. The toning was unharmed. I like the look of the toning on this one very much and would never harm it*.

*Unless I was selling the coin and could get it into a higher grade slab.

I'm glad to see you have such high concern for coin conservation. thumbsup2.gif