• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My ANA Show Review

22 posts in this topic

After reading Truth’s report on the ANA show, I thought I’d post my experience. I was only at the show on Friday & Saturday.

Fresh material was NOT available. All the dealers were saying that they were having trouble buying fresh stuff, but decent (not great, but decent) stuff was moving to other dealers. However, there were several dealers commenting that they were buying from the public. Overall, there was a lot of garbage on the floor. Very few coins that would catch your eye. Lots of generic junk, so if you wanted a blast white common date Morgan, you had your pick of ton of them, but looking for something special, forget about it.

The show was very empty. Every single dealer that commented on the show stated that they were very surprised by the lack of people. The place felt empty to me. I rarely had trouble getting a seat at a dealers table. Several dealers kept commenting that the Asian buyers didn’t show up and many dealers noted that they didn’t see their regular East Coast buyers showing up. One dealer commented to me that they didn’t even see many of their regular California buyers who usually attend all the big shows in CA.

I’m sure the cost of the trip kept many people who were on the fence away. Hotels were expensive (close to $200/night for a decent one near the show), parking is insane and not included in the price of the room (I paid close to $45 a night just for parking), and food isn’t cheap for a decent restaurant.

I overheard one fairly well known dealer telling his associate that the show was a disaster and he was rather agitated while saying this. “NOBODY IS HERE!!!” I’d guess that maybe 5% of the dealers I spoke with and I didn’t feel they were feeding me a line, said it was a good show for them. Several dealers were not buying at all and many others required the coin to blow them away.

Personal notes: I was rather disappointed with the way the show was run. I did not like having my name on my name tag. I’d much prefer to walk up to tables without them knowing who I am. I also did not like having to give the ANA my address. With their history of keeping names/address unsafe, I felt it a big intrusion into my privacy. I’d have rather spent a few dollars on admission instead.

The multi-levels of the floor was not a good idea. I’m sure it kept a lot of people away from the exhibits and forced people to leave the bourse to view the exhibits – not a bright idea! The old fart ANA guy working “security” at the exhibits probably kept more away – one of the rudest people I’ve encountered at a show.

On a personal level, I got to see several forum members (some might be only across the street) including BigMoose, TBT, IdahoGal, TooTawl, Toyonakataro, jrgman, Hoot, CameronKiefer, MarkFeld, FatMan, wayneherndon, & Merc. I’m sure I’m forgetting a bunch of others. I "saw" John Maben, airplanenut, & DarkHorse on the floor, but never had a chance to say anything to them.

I had the pleasure of having dinner with Mark Hooten. I don’t care what 99.9% of the other forum members say about him, he is a nice guy. And since I consider him the next likely Unabomber, I’d suggest you all agree that he is a nice guy.

Got to spend some time speaking with Scott Schechter & Architecht.

And of course Cameron Kiefer. The move out of his parents basement and on his own seems to have done him some good. Even though he works for the competition and doesn’t participate on these forums, he wormed his way into the NGC lunch. He was clearly spying. He was actually able to worm his way all the way up to talking to NGC head honcho Mark Salzberg (who immediately knew Cameron was at the lunch to spy) before Arch karate chopped him in the head to let Mark escape.

I went to the ICG table and met JP Martin. Seems like a nice guy, but I do think his grading abilities are slipping. Every time someone asked his opinion on a coin, he’d hand it to Cameron for his opinion. So sad. hi.gif

The NGC lunch was nice. Too bad more forum members didn’t attend, but given the complete lack of people that made it to the ANA show, this was to be expected. The State Quarter multi-coin slab given to the attendees was a nice touch. Attendees were also given the newest book, History of the US Mint, by David Lange who was gracious enough to sign the copies for anyone. The update on the happenings at NGC was nice as was the Q&A session. It’s also very nice to put a face to the people that help run the organizations you do business with.

As far as purchases, I'll be posting some threads in the World Coin Forum later this week. Some really nice purchases. cloud9.gif

Man oh man, some day, if I ever get some money, I am going to have to attend a real coin show!

Your impressions of the show dovetail very nicely with what I've been observing: a big slow-down in the upcoming few months. I think it will trickle down. First, the super high-priced coins stop selling, which freezes up dealer cash, so they dump many second-tier coins. Then they stop selling, which freezes up more cash, so middle-tier coins get moved. Then they stop selling too, so the lower tier coins have to be moved, etc etc. Personally, I predict the slowdown in the coin market to last well into winter.

Thanks for the excellent and straightforward show report, Greg!

James

I agree with basically everything that has been said by James and Truth recently on these boards. But, I must add that, even if prices fall, if a coin that I want or need shows up, I will bid on that coin----regardless of what the overall coin market is doing and regardless of how much lower other coins may be priced at that time. Reason being that what I need and want are rare----does not matter when they show up----you must step up to the plate and buy the coin [if at all posible]. And I am sure that there are others who feel as I do. When the coin becomes available---you go after it. And, if you have been collecting any series for many years, you "KNOW" which coins are scarce and which ones to jump at if given the chance. Being a person who is in the GAME for the long haul----you do not think about a short period of time---you estimate value based on your current need for the coin [going towards your completion of your set] and its long term estimated rise in value. In summary----I will not let market fluctuations in prices influence my purchases. I will bid what the coin is worth to me. Bob [supertooth]

First, the super high-priced coins stop selling, which freezes up dealer cash, so they dump many second-tier coins.

Ain't gonna happen anytime soon. That segment of the market is still quite hot.

I had the pleasure of having dinner with Mark Hooten. I don’t care what 99.9% of the other forum members say about him, he is a nice guy. And since I consider him the next likely Unabomber, I’d suggest you all agree that he is a nice guy.

You know, I hadn't wanted to say this previously, but I think they got the wrong guy the first time around and Hoot is just biding his time until his next spree. By the way, did he happen to mention Morton? That is a verrrrrry interesting story. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I love reading threads on reports of shows and auctions. Thanks for taking the time to give me a vicarious thrill (but now I'm very scared of Hoot -- please tell me that there's no such thing as an exploding message board flamed.gif)

I am with Bob and TDN on this market. What I need are coins that are not commonly found in decent grade and condition. I will buy these coins as they become available at any price within reasonable expection.

You know, I hadn't wanted to say this previously, but I think they got the wrong guy the first time around and Hoot is just biding his time until his next spree. By the way, did he happen to mention Morton? That is a verrrrrry interesting story. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't recall him telling a "Morton" story, but I kind of tuned him out after he was spouting off about how his manifesto didn't get the credit it deserved and that the government would rue the day it sent the little green men after him. And who the hell actually uses the term "Little Green Men"? screwy.gif

Note: Please remind me to edit out all my posts about Hoot before he makes it back to his cabin in the woods. After all, he has my address. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Great report, Greg! Is it true that Hoot is only 5'4" and wears 8" stacked-heel cowboy boots? 27_laughing.gif

I agree with Bob (supertooth). Many dealers look at the short-term profit potential, but the collector should consider the long-term potential. In a recessionary market, the "smart money" is always buying.

Chris

Fresh material was NOT available. .... Overall, there was a lot of garbage on the floor.

OK, tell me WHAT show you go to that this isn't always the case? There is always a lot of garbage on the floor. Why should I pay $200 a night when I can stay at home and get the same thing. 27_laughing.gif

One dealer commented to me that they didn’t even see many of their regular California buyers who usually attend all the big shows in CA.

Well then....I WAS missed. Maybe I should have gone. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Good report, Greg. But if Kiefer is a spy shouldn't he be shot? Just wondering.

jom

Great report Greg, and very interesting observations and their implications for the overall market. I just wonder how much the venue really hurt the show, as it just seemed like a lot of folks have been complaining about the set-up and high cost.

I had the pleasure of having dinner with Hoot at the Portland ANA, and I certainly agree that he's a great guy. You know though, I never put the unibomber thing together, but now that you mention it, there were some odd things I noticed, plus his car was kinda sketchy... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nice report Greg.

When I saw ALL the dealers at the local Westford Ma. show the Sunday before the ANA, I knew it was going to be light show out west. Most of the dealers that make the ANA all commented that they weren't excited about heading to S.F, and most commented that the city was too expensive and would keep too many dealers/collectors away. This was a universal tune that Sunday.

I'll get more feedback this Sunday, but it seemed most on this side of the continent were fine with letting the ANA go by, and concentrating on Baltimore (2 weeks), even though the Baltimore show at this time of the year isn't usually very busy.

With parking at $45. per night, why not just fly and take cabs?

Great report though. I couldn't/wouldn't get time off from work to attend and now, with you making it sound like a zero to zero scored baseball game, I'm not sad I didn't.

It's still have been more expensive. Also, I had to go to Sausalito on Saturday evening and down to San Jose on Sunday to see TJ. It'd have cost me way more than the parking and I would have had to deal with the airports - which I hate.

Nice report, Grigoriy.

It pains me that I missed this year's Summer ANA show -- in SF no less! I also wish I was there to support my friends who were presenters at the show. I did get a killer coin at a very decent price, so in the end I was satisfied.

As for Hoot, well, he's scary looking and his driving is scary too. grin.gif But, he's the real reason I didn't go -- 'cuz I didn't want to become ill again. Seriously, folks, I am badly allergic to Sasquatch.

EVP

Excellent report, Greg. But I had no idea that you would join the ranks of my local postal service employees and think that I resemble the unibomber. insane.gif I was told that when I ride my bike in the wintertime and wear a dark sweatshirt, I’m especially suspect. makepoint.gif

That’s also when I grow most of my hair and look somewhat like Sasquatch. Christo_pull_hair.gif

As for what Tom is referring to about Morton, I simply don’t recall. flamed.gif Then again, I recall very little as it is, so that’s not surprising. confused-smiley-013.gif

IGWT – I have been known to make more than one computer explode – but those abuses are typically not remote! hi.gif

I don't recall him telling a "Morton" story, but I kind of tuned him out after he was spouting off about how his manifesto didn't get the credit it deserved and that the government would rue the day it sent the little green men after him. And who the hell actually uses the term "Little Green Men"?

Little Green Men? Now, I do recall putting a pall on a conversation regarding work, but I thought I forgot to tell you about the Little Green Men? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Is it true that Hoot is only 5'4" and wears 8" stacked-heel cowboy boots?

Yes. sumo.gif

if Kiefer is a spy shouldn't he be shot?

Agreed. tonofbricks.gif

Now, Jeff, I only felt sorry for ya at that dinner in Portland. smirk.gif Next time… devil.gif

As for Hoot, well, he's scary looking and his driving is scary too. grin.gif But, he's the real reason I didn't go -- 'cuz I didn't want to become ill again. Seriously, folks, I am badly allergic to Sasquatch.

I plan on attending every important event of your life 893whatthe.gif, let alone a few shows! Better look out, Pygmy. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Hoot yeahok.gif

Is it true that Hoot is only 5'4" and wears 8" stacked-heel cowboy boots?

Yes. sumo.gif

Hoot yeahok.gif

Welcome back, Mark! Glad to see you made it home safely. That goes for everyone else, too!

Chris

It's still have been more expensive. Also, I had to go to Sausalito on Saturday evening and down to San Jose on Sunday to see TJ. It'd have cost me way more than the parking and I would have had to deal with the airports - which I hate.

Fly, and then on Saturday and Sunday rent a car for the weekend. Weekend rates are cheap, return the car at the airport and fly home.

See? You need to talk to me first Greg, next time, before traveling. cool.gif

PS: Please, don't leave out one single detail of your visit with TJ. Outside of coin show reports, that's the best reading on the forums!

PSS: Also, I'm wondering what grade the 1944 "steel" Lincoln cent is that TRUTH gave TJ. Please. When you visit TJ and see it, access, evaluate, and report. TKS.

After reading many reports from forum members and from some dealers, it sounds like the show was a mixed bag.

I get the overall impression that the show was just not that good as far as new material was concerned.

Having never attended a major show such as this, I would have probably thought I was in Paradise. All that I would have seen would have been new and fresh to me. Gonna make one of these some day.

I liked the report and enjoy reading them all.

-------------

etexmike

I had a great time at the NGC lunch. The slab that was given out was very cool and David Lange's book was even cooler. I agree with Greg. I was shocked on how few people showed up to the lunch. Maybe 20 total at the most. I sat with Greg, Cameron, and Merc. Yes, Cameron has "grown up" a bit since leaving home. wink.gifgrin.gif

Yeah, the luncheon was great! I was there with the wife but didn't get to talk to many of the members, my apologies. I was the one Scott put on the spot to get the questions rolling frown.gif I remember Ernie (don't know his bbs name) scolding those security guards 893naughty-thumb.gif. I also remember a bunch of stapping young lads sitting on the table behind me. My apologies for not introducing myself. Yes, Dena was a gracious host, and "Mark, whatever you're paying her, well it's not enough!" wink.gif Dave, I got my mercury book, I'll bring it to Long Beach for the Autograph! Saturday and Sunday was a lot more crowded. In fact, the badge line required a pretty substantial wait to get processed in. Stuff on the floor required a lot more scrutiny as really nice stuff wasn't lying everywhere like a few years ago. For never having been to a major ANA show, the experience was definitely pleasurable. One thing that struck me was St. Gaudens medallic display by the ANA on the second floor. I have always wanted to see the real Teddy Roosevelt Inauguration and Women's Auxilliary Medals. Before the show, I had only seen these in the Dryfhout reference book. I had the good fortune of meeting and talking to Jack Tubarough (?) of the SPPN, who outside of Jay Rowe, knows more about different varieties of Cal Fractionals than Breen-Gillio. Another was Dr. Stephen Duckor, an interesting as well as common sense approach to collecting. So personally, I had a wonderful and memorable show.