• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Bust half Dime

14 posts in this topic

Here's another coin I won on ebay from non-optimal pictures. I thought the coin might have some decent color that didn't show wellin the images, but I couldn't really tell. I tried to color correct the images but still couldn't tell. Here's the original ebay pictures.

880971-1836_e.jpg

The images were good enough to attribute the coin before I bid. I recently bought the Logan and McCloskey book Federal Half Dimes 1792-1837 so I needed to try it out. The coin is an LM-3 which is a common R1 variety. However, this variety is also known as the "3 over Inverted 3" which happens to be a Redbook variety. Even though it's fairly common it seems to bring some premium because of this. The variety is not noted on the holder and was not stated by the seller.

The coin is in an ANACS MS60 holder but looks a bit better than that to me. It does have a bit of dirt or grime in some of the lettering of "America", but I had to get a 20x to be sure that's what it was. I took my own pictures to show what it really looks like. I think it looks much better than the auction image, but not great. I didn't even notice the mark on the neck until I saw it in the picture. Then I had to get the 20x again to find it. It didn't tone as nice as a bag toned Morgan, but I guess I can't expect that.

1836obv.jpg

1836rev.jpg

880971-1836_e.jpg.a25764dca9e531ea6977425bffd8e2b5.jpg

Well, a few people read this but no one cared to comment. Is this group finally adhering to the principal that if you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all? 893whatthe.gif

27_laughing.gif Like that would ever happen. 27_laughing.gif

I just thought I'd bump it in case there is someone here who collects something besides state quarters that missed it. poke2.gif

I guess I missed out on this thread. I like the coin a lot!

Sometimes, if I mess up, or forget to set the white-balance on my digital camera, I get weird, soupy images like the ones you showed from the original eBay listing.

James

Very nice half dime! I am not all that familiar with the series, but the information you provided was helpful to me. I have an 1836 that I bought when I was in high school (it's a nice XF, but horribly cleaned). I will have to look when I get home tonight to see if it's the 3 over inverted 3 variety you mentioned. Congrats on the nice pick-up!

Well, a few people read this but no one cared to comment. Is this group finally adhering to the principal that if you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all? 893whatthe.gif

27_laughing.gif Like that would ever happen. 27_laughing.gif

I just thought I'd bump it in case there is someone here who collects something besides state quarters that missed it. poke2.gif

Come on now Randy,you know how I love to resurrect old threads.I'm sure it would have gotten to the top eventually. tongue.gif

and another thing,you don't bump threads you ttt them! makepoint.gif

BTW, nice round disk of 90% silver...

I think your coin has positive eye appeal, although it looks as though it was previously cleaned and has since retoned.

Come on now Randy,you know how I love to resurrect old threads.I'm sure it would have gotten to the top eventually. tongue.gif

and another thing,you don't bump threads you ttt them! makepoint.gif

BTW, nice round disk of 90% silver...

But by the time you got around to raising it from the dead I would have removed the images from Photobucket. insane.gif

Tom, what makes you think it was cleaned? I've been told that blue tone like this is often due to an old cleaning. In my opinion, if it was cleaned they didn't do such a good job. There's still some grunge around some of the letters on the reverse. Anyone ever cleaned a coin with a Water Pic? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't know much about bust coinage; probably time that I learned! I like the look of the coin, particularly the reverse. Perhaps the evidence of cleaning appears in the field west of bust? (did NGC BB for cleaning?) You photo shows a lot more detail than the eBay image . . . sometimes the magnification makes it difficult to determine the eye appeal in hand. Sorry for not responding sooner flowerred.gif

The area to the left of the bust has a patch of heavy flow lines due to die erosion. The coin is graded ANACS MS60 so you would expect some marks. There are no hairlines from a harsh cleaning.

Perhaps the coin was gently cleaned long ago (like so much of the bust coinage) and has retoned over the years. The central areas are lightly toned but don't have that crusty original look. I'm certainly no expert on bust coinage either and I'm trying to learn. Maybe Tom will wander back by and enlighten us both.

My coin took a trip to NGC and all I got was this lousy body bag.

Silly me; I thought that your sig line was part of your original post foreheadslap.gif

I just added the sig line on a whim. I thought Hayden would appreciate it. I did get a body bag on the last coin I sent in though.

I just added the sig line on a whim. I thought Hayden would appreciate it. I did get a body bag on the last coin I sent in though.

I can appreciate and relate to it! 27_laughing.gif

I do agree that it may have been cleaned a while back and in my opinion would be better looking if dipped.Who knows maybe if re-submitted to ANACS it might upgrade to an MS-61!!! acclaim.gif

That's actually a pretty good idea on using a water pik to clean coins.We have one but never use it(no we don't have dirty teeth,we just prefer mouthwash and brushing... smirk.gif) Unfortunately I don't have any cruddy coins at the moment...but maybe Shannon could give me some of those G-4 Lincolns her daughter found... insane.gif

-Hayden

BTW how do you know that I haven't copied the picture to my computer??? A whole new way to resurect threads! devil.gif