• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Coin Vault

28 posts in this topic

The quality is ok, it's the prices that are horrible. They are at least double what you should pay. I know that the dealer here in town (Colorado) keeps the stuff he doesn't want to deal with (raw 1921 Morgans, etc) for the buyer for these guys. He comes through town about every three months to pick up coins for them. I know they are paying $8 for xf-au 1921's. Then they sell them for about $20 each. I don't know about you, but I'd rather pay $8 wink.gif

I watch the coin vault for entertainment purposes only! It's often quite funny! On a serious note, they do sometimes have items that are seldom seen (like some $10,000 notes a few months back) or some early proof sets, but the prices are still way beyond what mere mortals could pay. It's still nice to see these items though.

the quality is low

the coins are common available generic widgits

and the carnival hawkers/barkers and their minyons are the lowest of the low

the only thing high about the place are the prices

sky high out of this world galaxy high

I will say I have never ordered off the coin vault but I did see once where they had some 1800's gold pieces priced fairly... and some bust havles once... not much but there is some stuff... but in general stay away...

I will say I have never ordered off the coin vault but I did see once where they had some 1800's gold pieces priced fairly... and some bust havles once... not much but there is some stuff... but in general stay away...

Perhaps priced fairly if they were properly graded. I can guarantee that anything that they pawn off is a very, very bad deal.

Follow the following advice:

Friends don't let friends order form the Coin Vault...

U can learn some coin fact's on the show!

True but now even up to this day anytime I see a dipped white morgan I have to say(while I am saying all of this I am shouting) " look at this jim beau morgan at a price point of only 69.95. We have sold the same quality as this graded by NGC the official grading service of the ANA and now the PNG at 129.96. (I now do useless host chatter with myself) I am proud to say we only sell NGC and PCGS certified coins. If you buy anything else it is an encapsulation serivce. They will put an PO01 into an MS67 holder. Anything else is just a waste of your money. I am proud that in the fall of 2002 the shop at home network decided to sell ONLY PCGS and NGC certified coins. The OFFICIAL service of the ANA the only coin collecting group chartered by congress and now the PNG.

( I take blast white morgan and feel it up with every part of my hand making sure you can see my large handprints. I then happen to show it is also Prooflike which you may recieve.)

Wow look at that luster on this jim beau morgan. And it is prooflike just look at that. (other mindless host starts talking about price points and flex pay.Ithen interupt him while shouting even louder sounding like a carnival barker) I don't know how we can sell this coin at this price!!!!!!!!

( I then begin to again touch the morgan making sure I leave my prints. I now drop it at least two times pick it up and touch it just a tad more while shouting about it being PL and having cartwheel luster plus being jim beau.)

rinse lather repeat 2-3 more times or as needed than start selling the same dipped white widget only in a 20 coin roll while looking so red hot and sweaty I look like I am having some sort of heart attack.

sumo.gif Just in case it seems like it I am not making fun of NGC in this. Just the coin vault and there wonderful coin barkers.

Interesting, My concern has been in the bulk deals, for example their 20 -30 year runs on what they call OGP mint and proof sets. Guess it is better to buy one piece at a time.

Interesting, My concern has been in the bulk deals, for example their 20 -30 year runs on what they call OGP mint and proof sets. Guess it is better to buy one piece at a time.

The runs of mint and proof sets are the worst. Yes, they are in original packaging, but that doesn't mean they haven't already been picked over for the best pieces. And they often break it down in the most deceptive ways, like that's only $1.99 for each coin! Big deal! Most of the mint and proof sets from 1960 to 2005 can be had for $10 a piece or less (with the exception of some of the newest ones with state quarters), and many from the 1970s can be bought for $5 or $6! So if you are paying $899 for 39 sets as I saw last night, that works out to $22.50 per set! Not a very good deal at all. You are better off looking at you local coin shop, or eBay, or local coin shows in your area. I know we have a local show every month with a dozen or so dealers, and I was looking for a 1969 mint and proof set for my birth year, and found both of them for $12. Hope this helps, and remember, Coin Vault is for ENTERTAINMENT purposes ONLY! thumbsup2.gif

Look at this jim beau morgan at a price point of only 69.95. We have sold the same quality as this graded by NGC the official grading service of the ANA and now the PNG at 129.96. (I now do useless host chatter with myself) I am proud to say we only sell NGC and PCGS certified coins. If you buy anything else it is an encapsulation serivce. They will put an PO01 into an MS67 holder. Anything else is just a waste of your money. I am proud that in the fall of 2002 the shop at home network decided to sell ONLY PCGS and NGC certified coins. The OFFICIAL service of the ANA the only coin collecting group chartered by congress and now the PNG.

27_laughing.gif

Our cable provider dropped HSN (I think that was the cable channel) a few months ago; the Coin Boys (as my wife refers to them) are gone. Midwest's parody is a little too good -- reading it felt like I was sitting in front of the Coin Vault once again. blush.gif

It seems to me that Coin Vault targets those who are unaware of the internet coin market - eBay, Teletrade, etc. No sane person who's familiar with buying coins via cyberspace would pay CV's outrageous prices for mediocre coins.

JMHO

Four years ago I bought a 2001 NGC-graded Proof 70 $5.00 Gold American Eagle from Chambers and The Coin Vault for $89.95 + s/h. That's the only time, because their prices are sky high and I find them to be less than truthful in their sales pitches. For example, they're always calling 90% gold coins "SOLID GOLD," and often exaggerate market value of their products as if the buyer is really getting a bargain!

My wife laughs at me when I often "argue" with the tv set and cry foul while spouting a few obscenities at Chanbers and his crew. I grew up in Tennessee and I fear these guys and their program are giving the Vol State a bad rep. I have seen NOTHING of real value since my one and only purchase, and it probably wasn't a real value when I bought it.

I get a kick out of that show! I like it when they allways say "3 years ago this set was selling for $499 and today its up to $1099" and "If you got a set from me in the past I will buy them back all day for $499"

It`s hard to say much about the quality of their coins as I have never made a purchase from them. I can state however that the prices they quote for their coins are in the stratusphere. Any respective coin they sell can easily be purchased from a dealer that advertises in any of numerous numismatic publications for relatively a third of their prices. Check it out and see for yourself. I am always in total amazement at the prices they actually get for their coins. Which my opinion is a total ripoff for John Q. Public that will cast a shadow of negativity on the numismatic hobby for those who get stung ! 893naughty-thumb.gif

Now for a flipside opinion. I have watched the Coin Vault program several times. Not because of an interest in purchasing any thing. But, because Robert Chambers the main host is very well versed in numismatic trivia. He certainly does his homework. I have even learned a thing or two. So, the show does have some merits. yeahok.gif

Now for a flipside opinion. I have watched the Coin Vault program several times. Not because of an interest in purchasing any thing. But, because Robert Chambers the main host is very well versed in numismatic trivia. He certainly does his homework. I have even learned a thing or two. So, the show does have some merits. yeahok.gif

I enjoyed watching the show when I was a newbie. Heck, that was where I heard the term "Third Party Grading Service" and NGC for the first time. I had collected coins seriously as a kid but sold everything in 1981 to buy my first car. Obviously, lots had changed between 1981 and 2002. And, I had made lots of early purchases from them which mostly turned out to be a very bad bargains but a fantastic education. I did buy a 1999 NGC PR69 UC silver proof set from them for $300. Finally, that wasn't a bad investment. I have no concept at why these raw sets are $365 now?? Heck, original packaging just sold for over $60 on e-bay, w/o any coins. I think that many rookies are still skewing the market on the modern market. Once they gain a little knowledge then the modern market will self-adjust.

I agree EZ. I would speculate that such an adjustment would probably leave many holding the bag. My money has always been on the older rarities. A pricey modern is a bit like placing a $100 chip on #17 at the roulette table. You could win big but the odds are greatly against it.

Thanks for your comments. I was surprised to see new comments. Will keep checking. I do find the program informative.

I agree EZ. I would speculate that such an adjustment would probably leave many holding the bag. My money has always been on the older rarities. A pricey modern is a bit like placing a $100 chip on #17 at the roulette table. You could win big but the odds are greatly against it.

Coin collecting is not an investment nor should one "gamble" on moderns. However, Moderns not only have made a fine collectible for many people, they have also returned huge profits. If you want to gamble on these coins then I have little doubt that you'll buy what's readily available and then complain when your $100 chip will sell for only $20.

Coin Vault sells many coins and just like in real life they are all sold at a profit. As a general rule moderns are actually closer to wholesale prices than the other coins. But I would advise against anyone buying coins from this source unless they've done some research first. And I would advise against buying any coin for investment.