• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New PayPal Policy

14 posts in this topic

Just when you thought PayPal/eBay couldn't possibly become any more greedy:

Beginning August 19, 2005, all sellers who offer PayPal as a payment option for their eBay listings must accept all forms of PayPal payment. This includes payments made via PayPal account balances, bank accounts, or credit cards, regardless of whether sellers display the PayPal logo with credit card icons.

Additionally, sellers may not communicate to eBay buyers (for example, in their item description) that they only accept, or will not accept, specific forms of PayPal payment. Doing so in a listing can lead to it being cancelled, and refusal to accept a payment after the auction has ended will constitute Seller Non-Performance.

I actually like this policy change. When I bid on eBay I will usually skip those auctions where the seller doesn't accept PayPal. Too often I'll see that PayPal picture and not notice until line 37 of the small print that they only accept PayPal for cash transfers and not credit cards.

It'll be interesting to see if Google enters the credit card payment processing like they are talking about.

I agree if you are going to sell regularly, to allow all payment options. But what I'm thinking of here is a collector who mainly buys then has an item or two to sell. I don't think someone like that should be forced into "upgrading" his account.

I agree. However, if they are only going to sell the occasional item, then no real harm in forcing them to upgrade. It's not going to cost them anything for their usual buying activity.

I agree if you are going to sell regularly, to allow all payment options. But what I'm thinking of here is a collector who mainly buys then has an item or two to sell. I don't think someone like that should be forced into "upgrading" his account.

I feel the same way.

Looks like everyone is going to have to pay to play.

Looks like they covered all the bases with the not being able to communicate it elsewhere statement.

I gave up a while back and bent over. smile.gif

2.9% is cheap for credit card transfers but if you upgrade to accept credit cards you get charged 2.9% even for cash transfers. That is wrong plus they are forcing you to accept credit cards making you pay for any type of paypal use. Allowing things like this to happen leads to the break down of capitalism and the start of fascism

Allowing things like this to happen leads to the break down of capitalism and the start of fascism

I would have thought it was capitalism at work. After all, PayPal provides a service which allows you to conduct business. Sellers need this service and pay for it. Buyers look for it that brings more money to the sellers.

There have been MANY times I've not considered an auction because the seller wouldn't take PayPal. I like the protection of PayPal and the ease of using it.

would have thought it was capitalism at work. After all, PayPal provides a service which allows you to conduct business. Sellers need this service and pay for it. Buyers look for it that brings more money to the sellers.

There have been MANY times I've not considered an auction because the seller wouldn't take PayPal. I like the protection of PayPal and the ease of using it.

I totally agree with Greg about Paypal, I sell a little on Ebay and Paypal is how I like to be paid. I feel that I can get higher bids by accepting Paypal and that covers the 3% clip off the top, and I don't have to worry about the check coming, cashing it, and if it's any good. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Sure I would like to see Paypal charge less, like 2% wouldn't still make alot money for them, but that's not how the rules of the game have been laid out.

I'd have to agree with Greg here. I also think that PayPal increases the sale price of items very consistently. Also, people appear to make multiple auction purchases more readily if PayPal is offered and also if a CC is offered. I can't prove that these claims are the case, but for a period of time, I refused PP and it was my perception that sales declined. The use of PP for the 3% ding typically makes up for the "loss".

BTW, there are other wire transfer services available to sellers. I've used them to pay for auctions when I had no other choice, and they seemed to work just fine. Western Union comes to mind. I don't know how much they charge the seller.

Hoot

Paypal is a great feature which allows for fast payment and ease of use. this will not effect us... we already have this service... it a great deal.. I also hunt out paypal auctions when buying... it is so convientent... I agree with hoot, greg, and others

Eric, I agree, but then why mess with PayPal at all, why not just demand money orders/cashiers checks? I hate all Ebay/PayPal increases including this one. I wish there was a real, decent, other auction site option.

I just went through a big complicated transaction with some insufficiently_thoughtful_person over my check. He refused paypal in the ad (fine so far), but made things so damn complicated to save $3.00 I'll never ever bid on anything without Paypal again. I'll just bid 10% more--who needs the stupid problems and emails??

This is the first time I am posting on a board and the only reason I am is becuase I hate Paypal with a passion.

I auctioned a Canadian gold Maple Leaf $50 coin on ebay and the winning bidder paid with Paypal by credit card. They were a verified user but did not have a confirmed address. Not paying attention to the notice I received from Paypal stating that since he did not have a "confirmed address" I was not eligible for buyer protection, I proceeded with the transaction. This buyer had a reasonable 99.8% positive feedback and the 1 bad mark was not about payment. 25 days after the transaction was complete, I get am email from Paypal saying the funds were fraudulant and they were reversing the payment. After repeated emails and calls to Paypal, I was told that they would not give me an info on the owner of the account and I would have to get a lawer to subpoena the records and also was not provided seller protection because the address was not "confirmed". I tried to get help from ebay, Postal Inspectors, Internet Fraud Complaint (FBI) but it all came back to -I was out $350 25 days after I thought I had sold a coin for a good profit.

Didn't Paypal know a little sooner that there was a problem?