• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts about improving the holder.

7 posts in this topic

I love the airtite holder, and it is one of the motivating factors in my decision to have NGC holder my coins, but I have wondered for some time why NGC hasn't chosen to encapsulate coins in an inert, non-reactive gas such as helium. Storm window manufacturers have this simple process down to a science, and it simply isn't expensive. It would seem such a process would eliminate any deterioration of the coin (color or surface). I understand that the only requirement is to actually seal the coin in a helium atmosphere. NGC has already introduced the AT holder.

My second 10¢ idea is one of a more personal preference. I would like to see the grade displayed on the back of the label. One's primary focus when looking at a slabbed coin should be the coin, and moving the numeric grade to the reverse of the slab would return a good deal of fun and mystery to many collections. The grade is relevant when a coin is bought or sold, but for the collector I believe it is secondary, and has a tendence to overpower the coin itself. JMHO

The grade on the reverse was how it was originally done. It was a massive failure. No one wanted it that way.

I wouldn't mind seeing the certificate number and bar code placed on the back.

Greg is right about the placement of the grades early on. The black holders had the grades on the back and the NGC heat stamp logo on the front. People did not like them.

I don't mind the grade on the front. It's convenient. But the barcode and serial number could be on the back quite easily. An inert gas would be an intriguing idea for the holder. It probably would require some redesign to make a slab with ports to inject the gas and then seal them up.

I would like to see the inner core of the holder be customizable colors. Some colors work better with some coins. Like cell phone snap on covers. As the slab market is over 15 years old, it's definitely not in early adopter stage. It's a maturing market. And typically it's cosmetic stuff that differentiates companies in a maturing market.

Neil

I'm pretty sure the dealers would not like the idea of the grade on the reverse(except Julian), but I'm somewhat surprised the collectors didn't. Thanks for the insight guys. Oh,well. It isn't the first time I've been out of the mainstream. laugh.gif

Still, I wonder what innovative concepts could be done to the holders... Shouldn't reject any idea. Of course, we're not the ones making the molds or paying for them! smile.gif

How about a detachable header to the slab. You know, a snap on top that has the grade and such and the bottom becomes like a 2x2 (with cert and grade etched in and company name etched) you can display in different ways. Or add the snap on top to make it a standard shape slab.

Just brainstorming ideas. smile.gif

I think the grade needs to be on the front of the holder. The barcode could go on the back though.

Instead of helium why not use something like the Intercept Shield?

One thing I would like to see is a thiner liner for small coins. My $2 1/2 gold almost looks like it is hiding in the NGC holder.