• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need Ideas for New Column

48 posts in this topic

• Administrator

We will be adding a new column to the monthly NGC E Newsletter. Each month an NGC grader will address a topic of numismatic interest.

If you have an idea for a topic you would like to see in the newsletter, please post it here or send me a pm.

If we use your idea, you'll receive a certificate for free grading with NGC.

Well, what's on your mind?

smile.gif

Sounds like fun!

How about an article on the forgotten coins. Such as the 2 cent piece, 3 cent piece, and 20 cent piece.

Or even more interesting, a discussion about coins made by the US for foreign possessions. For example, a look at the Philippine coins made in the US. Or even a discussion about the 1883 Hawaiian coinage.

I think those would be awesome to read!

Neil

Hi Dena,

I would like to see a different coin highlighted each month with the topic of discussion being the characteristics of that issue. As an example, are they normally weakly struck, what type of luster is commonly seen, any notable die characteristics, etc.

Also are there any special grading considerations?

Thanks

John

I would also like a humor column from a grader. You know, something like the lighter side of coins. Interesting stories or anecdotes about a particular coin or grading experience. Based on my experience at the ANA grading class, I KNOW there are some funny experiences out there. Like the person who wanted to make sure their coins made a good impression with the graders and so they polished all of them...

Hi Dena,

If it hasn't already been done, what about a monthly column where a grader discusses the grading nuisances of a particular type of coin?

Perhaps he could point out some of the common pitfalls to grading that type of coin, factors that separate the best ones from the rest of the pack, common misconceptions, helpful hints etc.

No matter what, thanks for asking.

Descriptions with pictures of the differences between CAM/UCAM. Perhaps pictures of coins that "just missed" and "just made it".

Obviously with the addition of the FT designation for Roosevelts, perhaps a column on what it takes with pictures.

Perhaps a column on the differences between what it takes at NGC to get the FBL or FS designation as compared to the other major service.

Also, in addition to the above, perhaps some insight into why some coins come CAM or FT or FBL and others don't. I'm sure there is a lot of knowledge at NGC about the minting processes.

Pictures and descriptions of counterfeited coins. I know that Rick Montgomery is considered one of the best, if not the best, at detecting counterfeits. I'm sure he could impart a massive amount of knowledge on counterfeits. Since, I would assume, many of the people who get this newsletter wouldn't be in the market for a raw High Relief Saint, a discussion on the Omega counterfeits isn't what I was thinking of. I was thinking something along the lines of what the average collector might run into - a faked 1914-D 1¢ or 1916-D 10¢.

I'd also like to have a column on a coin that caught the graders eye - for whatever reason. With all the coins that NGC grades, it'd be nice to spotlight a coin for whatever reason (good AT job, extreme rarity, unusual strike, very good counterfeit, new die variety, etc) caught the graders eye.

How about information on the high points on different coins. Where you should see the first wear. The differences between actual wear and a weak strike.

Since all the grading services are getting hit with doctored coins, how about a column that sequentially addresses a different problem [AT, putty, enhanced luster, laser, tooling, etc] using real life examples.

Another idea, since the graders are busy people. How about a bio on each grader? Like what their specialty is, how they got into the biz, how they got into grading, do they still collect anything, that type of stuff. I think it'd be easy reading and easy writing.

Neil

I second TDNs recommendation...

Since all the grading services are getting hit with doctored coins, how about a column that sequentially addresses a different problem [AT, putty, enhanced luster, laser, tooling, etc] using real life examples.

OK guys last chance.... It's my turn to write and I do appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. Time won't allow anything too fancy this time so I can't do the suggestions that involve images this time, maybe down the road.

One thing I think would be interesting is a profile of the people behind the coins. There are so many designers, mint directors, engravers etc. that have impacted the hobby, and I would be interested to learn more about them personally, what motivated them? what prompted some of their design changes? etc. I know collecting Saints, I have done a little research on Augustus Saint-Gaudens, and it's pretty interesting to learn about the man who designed the coin.

I like John Wihlborg's idea, but would take it one step further. I'd also discuss how grading varies by where the discussed coin was minted, and maybe anything that specifically relates to a specific year or group of years.

Ie., re Morgan dollars, you might get into why New Orleans strikes are often weak, and maybe highlight any years for which this is an exception.

Or re SLQs, you might want to get into which dates & mintmarks are most frequently fully struck and least fully struck (not just FH) in mint state re types I & II, and why this is so..

Re Seated dimes, maybe you could tell us why the 1887 P usually has a weak strike of Miss Liberty's head.

Another idea is to discuss which years of PF Liberty Nickels are most likely to qualify for CAM & UCAM status & why.

John,

Prehaps, an article on these proof errors that should not occur these days at all.

To view the proof about the proof go to the link below, and thats the troof.

http://koinpro.tripod.com/Articles/Spiked.htm

An article on the QC inspections at the mint and how they are failing.

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

I would like to see a flow index of changes in coin types being submitted.

Like if more state quarters start coming in or bust material, etc.

Sort of a popularity index of WHAT is being submitted.

I like TDN's idea, especially. I'd love to see examples and get good descriptions of what to look for that may cause your coin to get the ole bb.

Hoot

Perhaps a short story series on the history of how the public has viewed the last few design changes made in the last 75 years or so to our circulating coinage and paper money . Wouldn't that be exciting!..........To get a live story from a centarian...some insight about how the public reacted when the 1909 Lincohn cent made it's debut. insane.gif

Leo 27_laughing.gif

Perhaps a short story series on the history of how the public has viewed the last few design changes made in the last 75 years or so to our circulating coinage and paper money . Wouldn't that be exciting!..........To get a live story from a centarian...some insight about how the public reacted when the 1909 Lincohn cent made it's debut. insane.gif

Leo 27_laughing.gif

Each month an NGC grader will address a topic of numismatic interest.

I missed the point...scratch that last idea! What would a grader know about history?

It was probably his/her worst subject in high school. 27_laughing.gif

Soooo.....here're a few ideas.

Brilliance and luster.........is there a difference?

Grading misnomers..........why?

Grading five step Jefferson's........is there a market out there for NGC?

EDS strikes.........where do they fit in a mint state grade?

After a coin grader grades thousands of coins all week, what are a few of the things that a grader can not normally do on his weekends off? I have heard of some graders getting migraine headaches from too much grading. It's almost like the computer tunnelvision thing. If it were me, I'd want to go home, lay down and put a cold rag on my eyes for at least an hour to give them a rest. The last thing I'd want to do is read small printed paperbacks. Maybe a grader could shed some light on the far side of a graders life. flamed.gif

Leo

one eyed girl,

ditto most of the grading ideas

how about auctions-how to, not to?

websites? local club bio's? oldest known active coin collector/dealer? strange but true type stuff-person with the most?(coin), walls covered in coins?

coins and religions (vodoo/medicine/charms/superstitions)?

antique books? coin book collectors?

t_g

how about grading secrets of a specific type coin in the federal series like pointers to watch out for

example the isabella quarters why most are ms64 and with the huge price jump to ms65 waht really separates a ms64 from a 65?

and how the really texchnical higher grades should look as per toning??

sincerely michael

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. The title of the article will be:

"So You Want to be a Coin Grader?"

It is intended to give insight into what it takes to grade with the best and what it's really like being a professional grader. Hope you all enjoy it.

John

How about a column exposing the coin doctors that NGC have been having problems with. A couple of Las Vegas 'trade 'n grades' have been exposing a few of these doctors with blantancy.

TRUTH

That's a great start John! Any insights to the "mystery" of how the pro's arrive at their grading decisions will be very informative, and hopefully take some of the "mystery" out of the process for us all.

Andy laugh.gif