• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie here, submitting my first coins. Shipping questions.
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Good evening, 

I just signed up for a membership, and have a handful of coins I am submitting. My question is; once I fill out the submission forms and pay for the services, where do I go to find the shipping info. for me to ship the coins into NGC? I can't seem to find it anywhere on the site. Thanks for your help. 

Welcome. You must have some really nice coins to send in. You may want to post some pictures of your coins and ask around before you spend your hard-earned money. Just a thought. Coin grading can get expensive

🐓  :  Guten morning, all!  Houston, we have a problem!

Q.A.:  (It's Agent 37; take the call!)  Go ahead, Ricky!

🐓  :  Got a member here who says he "just signed up for a membership." 

Q.A.:  WUNDERBAR!  What's the problem?

🐓  :  No "waving hand."  May be an imposter.

CENTRAL:  (That's the problem with these Roosters.  They always assume the worst.)  :whatthe:

Q.A.:  Probably just an oversight.  We must treat all Newbies as one would Royalty.

To the OP:  Sorry about that.  We have an invasive species of fowl strutting about...  There is not a member on this Forum who doesn't feel the time to speak up is BEFORE you consider a submission.  As our consummate gentleman and a legacy @Just Bob would likely object to my being so forward as to cross examine a Newbie as to where he's been the past 10 months, I will try the kinder, gentler approach.  There is a member here who years ago urged his colleagues to "read more, submit less and question everything," I shall assume in the absence of an opportunity to review your submission, you know what you are doing.

As member @J P M just noted, submissions cam be fraught with peril.  No, not lost in transit, just worthy of review by a practiced set of eyes of which there are many on this Forum.  If it's too late, and your prized possessions worthy of the cost of submission are on their way, we can only hope for the best.  This can be a learning experience for you, me and the membership-at-large. You are, of course, entitled to your privacy.  Rest assured we are always at your beck and call to help.

Good morning everyone. Thanks for the responses. I have decided to submit an 1882CC GSA hoard, an 18883CC GSA hoard, an 1884CC GSA hoard, a 1923 GSA soft pack, and a 1897 top 100 VAM 6A. 

I am new to the submitting world, but I am not new to the coin collecting world. I normally purchase my coins graded already, but was recently able to pick up some raw Morgan and peace dollars along with some GSA hoard, so I figured now is as good a time as any. 

Again, thanks for all your help. Have a great day everyone.

Good morning everyone. Thanks for the responses. I have decided to submit an 1882CC GSA hoard, an 18883CC GSA hoard, an 1884CC GSA hoard, a 1923 GSA soft pack, and a 1897 top 100 VAM 6A. 

I am new to the submitting world, but I am not new to the coin collecting world. I normally purchase my coins graded already, but was recently able to pick up some raw Morgan and peace dollars along with some GSA hoard, so I figured now is as good a time as any. 

Again, thanks for all your help. Have a great day everyone.

17295176938712189011656931918007.jpg

17295177066437225636400119341439.jpg

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Excellent coins there!! (thumbsu

While I am a fan (maybe a little nutty on second thought) about Morgans, I have had no desire to acquire any of the GSA ones. Maybe it is because they always seem to go for extra premium which I am not willing to pay as I would rather hunt for them as raw. Make sure you have checked your two boxes (the one in add on and the one on the line for the coin) for your Variety Plus. If you miss one of these boxes, they will straight grade it and once it has arrived there, they have a rule that they are not allowed to adjust your paperwork over the phone so make sure you have gone over your form and triple checked it for errors on your part.

As for your shipping, I took a picture of this in the Ask/NGC section for future reference which I can share here. I hope you can read it.

PXL_20240807_045952720.jpg

I also did want to note that I did mark the variety plus on the VAM morgan, as well as added the GSA on the 4 other coins. Thanks for the information. 

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Can you explain why you want to submit these coins to a third-party grading service? To me, a collector and student of U.S. coins for over 53 years, some fifteen years before third-party grading services that encapsulate coins existed, such a submission is quite distinct from "having coins graded", which is something you should learn to do yourself before you consider such submissions.

In the case of the 1882 through 1884-CC dollars, there is little difference in market value for coins that grade anywhere from MS 61 through MS 64, the usual grade range for pieces in GSA boxes. On the NGC Coin Explorer, an 1883-CC or 1884-CC has a retail list value of $350 in MS 61 and $425 MS 64. You're going to pay NGC $45 per coin ($40 "Standard" tier grading fee plus $5 GSA holder surcharge) plus the per order $10 processing and $28 return shipping fees. The value of the 1923 Peace dollar probably stems from its being in the GSA soft pack--I recall that the GSA sold these for $4 each in the 1970s--rather than any grade the coin is likely to receive. From a financial perspective, unless you have reason to believe that the "CC" dollars will be graded at least MS 65, there is no good reason to submit them. I admit that there could be other reasons to submit these coins, such as participation in the NGC Registry. 

You might be interested in this topic that I recently posted on the "U.S., World, and Ancient Coins" forum:

On 10/21/2024 at 12:13 PM, Kornymf247 said:

Thanks powermad5000 for the info. 

What do you prefer for shipping the coins to NGC? It seems like they prefer FedEx. Any suggestions? Thanks everybody. 

You're very welcome!

I myself prefer dropping my coins directly to NGC at the major coin shows, BUT there are times when I have a buying frenzy for whatever reason and make the decision to clear the safe out. When I do, I only ship to NGC using USPS Domestic Registered Insured mail. I use this service specifically because the packages only move under lock and key and are required by USPS employees to scan the box anytime it is moved from one location to the next. Should anything ever happen to my package, the postal inspectors will only have to find one or maybe two people responsible for it at that time. While it may move much slower than any other method, to me it is more secure.

Should you decide to ship this way, feel free to PM me as to the packaging requirements they demand before you go to the post office to ship it. They have size requirements on the box, how it should be packed inside, how it should be sealed, and the paperwork involved. Instead of clogging up the thread with a long response about all of that, you can message me.